Precision controls

Should precision controls be included?

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    One of the most annoying things about maneuvering small fighters with extremely high turning speeds and thrust (in my opinion) is the lack of small and concise bursts of power. Especially looking at the new sugestions coming up (http://starmadedock.net/threads/docking-clamps.1262/page-2#post-36633 and http://starmadedock.net/threads/point-to-point-docking.1855/page-2#post-30354 and http://starmadedock.net/threads/docking-clamp-block.307/) This is what I am suggesting.

Roll, Thrust, and Strafe Keys Only Produce a Third the Force of a Normal Roll or Impulse:

A key could be used for this, ex. left or right alt keys. The forces would only be limited while the key is pressed and would only affect the amount of force given, not the current velocity of the object.

A pretty simple topic that would make maneuvering into small hanger bays a lot easier, I encourage developers to include this in the game. Thank you for your time.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    I'd like it more if there was a certain key, that reduces the thrust used.
    The shift key currently serves as a break, but if pressed together with a movement key, it has no effect. I'd suggest giving the shift key the function of reducing the amount of thrust used, if thrust is applied.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Strafe, ascend/descend and backwards thrust speed is going to be reduced by a lot, so the proble won't be there. I do however agree with @Megacrafter127 that there should be a way to limit the maximum speed of your ship for those times that you need precision.

Oh, and pressing the shift key with a movement key does have an effect. It prevents you from going to much in a direction you don't want to go. But having shift key + movement key reduce the maximum speed is a brilliant idea. It would have to be configurable though.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Oh, and pressing the shift key with a movement key does have an effect. It prevents you from going to much in a direction you don't want to go. But having shift key + movement key reduce the maximum speed is a brilliant idea. It would have to be configurable though.
    I did some testing a while ago and noticed no effects in this regard. (I removed the standard "friction" through some calculation)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Well, maybe it doesn't. It helps a bit with precision though, but not as much as it would when your idea would get implemented.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I'd like it more if there was a certain key, that reduces the thrust used.
    The shift key currently serves as a break, but if pressed together with a movement key, it has no effect. I'd suggest giving the shift key the function of reducing the amount of thrust used, if thrust is applied.
    If you are aligned to another ship (even tough you are inside your ship) you should be able to move and brake relative to the other ship if possible (by thrust).
    With max-align distance of 2x ship size it would also give fighters and bombers attacking an enemy better controls.​

Thrusters should also try to cancel out the gravity first (This part of thrust should not count to reduced thrust).

First the thrust needed to compensate for the other-ship's movement changes is subtracted and then you can use remaining thrust.
    Gravity counts (in this calculations) as if the planet started moving towards you.

To use common control, break alignment.

Last edited: