Pre build .101 blocks fading out

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    In the new .101 build nonhull blocks are invisible until you are right ontop of them. This might be a new feature to boost the frame rate or it might be a bug I couldn't find anything else on it in the forms. If this is a feature is there a way to disable it and have the blocks show along with hulls it is annoying to not be able to see guns and thrusters until you are one block from them. Intel graphics on Ubutnu 12.04 I have the most recent drivers I can get.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I frogot to mention in the first post that my GUI and the items in the inventory screen are pixilated and I also can\'t seem to fix this.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I have had more time on my hands so I can tell more of what is actualy happening. I have deleted and reinstalled all the game files to see if that changed anything. It sortof did. Now all hull blocks apear to be showing, but not much else I think the power tanks are showing at a distance. Asteroids are invisible along with most other blocks I havent visited a planet yet so I don\'t know about that. The blocks sides start to fade when you are one block away and at three blocks away only the faces that are in your direction exist. Any further than this and the rest of the block starts to fade and about 5 blocks away the block is 100% invisible. Am I the only one with this problem, am I missing a symple setting, my maxDrawDepth is almos to the max and it is still happening.

Here Are Some pictures

http://imgur.com/a/NdY75

AndyP

Customer Experience Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    Did you try using another texture pack setting?

Got some issues with cartoonish, but its not that bad, only few misalignments of textures.

Try realistic @ 128, this is the one I use most of the time for my testing.
    Also increase \"max drawn segments\" to 2000. (But for the screen at the shop, it should not stop drawing blocks that close to you unless you have it at 100 or so xD)

Also try another screen resolution, it helps in most cases and with most glitches.
    Clean 16:9 resolutions are:
    1360 x 768
    1600 x 900
    1920 x 1080
    Those work best and fix many minor bugs/glitches.
    Like \"fullscreen\" not working, and so on.. =)

- Andy

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Thanks for the advice. It is the texture pack resolution that is doing it anything other than the 64x64 resolution textures and they start to fade.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    How much memory does your graphic card have? 64px textures as maximum seems a bit low.

It works fine (low fps though) with 512 MB graphic-card and 2024 MB ram - a 2-years old graphic card. Maybe laptops and old graphic cards get issues with it.

What does texture array and all that option stuff do? There is no tooltip...

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Are you using Java 64 bit?

Are you using the newest dev build?

If yes? disable normal maps and texture arrays in the Advanced Options in the launcher.

If you\'re using an older build? Go to your settings.cfg file located in your Starmade directory, open it with Notepad and change the setting Texture Arrays to False, then save.

See if that helps at all.
    (This seems like a more extreme version of a bug i was experiencing myself)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Yes I do have 64-bit java. I have Intel on board graphics the computer reports that they have 256mb of memory so that may be the problem. I have Ubuntu so the memory could be wrong or right that is what the OS sees drivers for ubuntu arn\'t in the main stream yet to you can\'t always get the factory drivers. I have normal maping disabled already as my graphics don\'t support it. As for TexturArrays I could not find the setting in the launcher(I have the second to latest dev) but when I change it in the setting.cfg file the game changes it back when opening. I suspect that it is a lack of memory for my graphic as the fading increases with more blocks around or after I have been running the game for a while and the most complicated blocks fade first.