Power should EXPLODE!

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I was thinking, maybe power tanks could explode when hit by an amc or missile. That block that was hit explodes with maybe a 2-8 block radius depending on the storage capacity. The explosion would be similar to dinitegrators with a sound effect and particle effect. It wouldn't be good to let the explosion radius scale infinitely because they would become too big and especially big ships would be very vulnerable.

Power generators should also explode, but they only explode with a 2 block radius, and only the block that was hit actually explodes. Reason why the explosion shouldn't scale here is because we tend to use way more power generators than tanks.

What is the point of this idea? Gives a really good reason to use hull and adds more epicness to battles.

EDIT: I think I was unclear. I am NOT for chain explosions. I only think the block that was hit by either and anitmatter cannon or a missile should explode.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    This would be an excellent way of balancing more-powerful methods of energy regen (or possibly storage) but at the cost of having to better armor them. I would rather not see the generic xm3.4s be tuned into explodey bits, but the most powerful generator in the game better be armored like it.

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Hmm, I can think of a really neat self destruct for AI ships with this, build some power tanks around the core and out to the valuable parts such as the weapons, the power gens and the thrust leaving little to be scavenged by the enemies, so it wouldn't just provide extra power storage for the ship but also do that as opposed to regular disinitgators.

Reactions: aceface
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Tempting idea, I see where big ships packed to tightly could set off a nasty chain reaction and just wipe out the whole ship. I think all internal systems should be more dangerous to simple stuff into a flying brick/cube/etc. It would give some purpose to building bigger more spaced out interiors.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Tempting idea, I see where big ships packed to tightly could set off a nasty chain reaction and just wipe out the whole ship. I think all internal systems should be more dangerous to simple stuff into a flying brick/cube/etc. It would give some purpose to building bigger more spaced out interiors.
    actually i said indirectly in the post that chain reactions wouldn't happen and that only the power tank that was hit by either an amc or missile explodes

Reaction score
    100% percent agree with this, it looks ugly to just have a ship randomly disappear when the countdown rolls. A good old fashioned 'explosions in space' should fix that, especially as the game now canonically takes liberty with realism.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    All the way here. It would make ship battles so much more epic, and knowing your enemy's weakspot would actually be important.

Reactions: aceface
    Reaction score
    This would be interesting, but perhaps it shouldn't be every time the blocks are hit. That way, your titan (for example) isn't instantly killed when the blocks are hit. However, there should be some kind of internal explosions, I agree.

Maybe if there is a large enough group of power generation and storage blocks? (i.e. Batteries don't explode, but car engines may)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    no no no no no no no no no no no........

OHKO is NO

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    spacing? How do you space out AMC arrays while still keeping them effective? How about energy?
    What are you even talking about? This suggestion is about Power Tanks exploding.

I think power tanks should have a 3x3 explosion when destroyed (not damaged) by weapons. I also think they should chain explode.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    What are you even talking about? This suggestion is about Power Tanks exploding.

I think power tanks should have a 3x3 explosion when destroyed (not damaged) by weapons. I also think they should chain explode.
    Have you seen the amount of tanks bigger ships need? Hell, some of my smaller ships need massive amounts of them.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    This would be an excellent way of balancing more-powerful methods of energy regen (or possibly storage) but at the cost of having to better armor them. I would rather not see the generic xm3.4s be tuned into explodey bits, but the most powerful generator in the game better be armored like it.
    Agreed; that was my idea.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    The problem with big ships is, if you hit the 1 power array that makes 1-mille and cut it, the now unused part of your target's soft-limit will be used by another array.
    No weak points.

I guess that either chain explosions or explosions in a x+2 y+2 z+2 to x-2 y-2 z-2 with max 125 blocks, effectively 1/2 ~60 blocks would reduce the lag for killing blocks, thus making it a bad idea to use reactors/storages or other vitals such as thrusters as replacement for hull.

Giving the killing shot of those blocks 105 AOE damage could make hull useful again.

Thus +1 !!!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Guys you need to understand that their is no real armor in this game. Even hardened hull can be destroyed with a single shot of any medium sized fighter. Most large ships cluster their power generators and storage into a certain area of a ship. What this will essentially do (whether the explosions chain or not) is condemn a ship of any size to destruction as soon as it's shields are breached. When you start out, you don't have shield generators. As soon as you encounter a single pirate, there would be no chance of surviving. Even my largest ship only has 2 layers of hardened hull (plus shield generators in between) protecting my power rooms. Unless hulls receive a MASSIVE upgrade (I'm talking 1000+ damage to destroy a hardened hull and 500+ for a normal one), this can not be implemented without requiring major overhauls from most larger ships.

As a person who's spent the last few months creating my first REAL heavyweight ship, I cannot support this unless a lot of changes are made first, and would not update my game if they were made.

Reactions: Yaodin
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Guys you need to understand that their is no real armor in this game. Even hardened hull can be destroyed with a single shot of any medium sized fighter. Most large ships cluster their power generators and storage into a certain area of a ship. What this will essentially do (whether the explosions chain or not) is condemn a ship of any size to destruction as soon as it's shields are breached. When you start out, you don't have shield generators. As soon as you encounter a single pirate, there would be no chance of surviving. Even my largest ship only has 2 layers of hardened hull (plus shield generators in between) protecting my power rooms. Unless hulls receive a MASSIVE upgrade (I'm talking 1000+ damage to destroy a hardened hull and 500+ for a normal one), this can not be implemented without requiring major overhauls from most larger ships.

As a person who's spent the last few months creating my first REAL heavyweight ship, I cannot support this unless a lot of changes are made first, and would not update my game if they were made.
    Agreed!

Reactions: 1adog1

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Just have 127 hp for everything, then choose float damage-divisors (1/divisor = factor; replaces armour %) for
    • dmg terrain /= 0.3
    • dmg vitals /= 0.2 (death explosion = 105% hp)
    • dmg deko/cpus /= 0.1
    • dmg basic hull /= 1
    • dmg hardened hull /= 3
    You would need to blow up 5 vitals to kill 1 basic hull and 15 vitals in range of 1 hardened hull.

As the target vital is exposed, it would mean that killing 1 layer is killing 3 layers. Thus you could just let weapons deal 1/3 damage...

This relative hp compared to basic hull is much better than hp*armour, and you can change hp values (dmg accuracy) during updates independent of the server.cfg.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Just have 127 hp for everything, then choose float damage-divisors (1/divisor = factor; replaces armour %) for
    • dmg terrain /= 0.3
    • dmg vitals /= 0.2 (death explosion = 105% hp)
    • dmg deko/cpus /= 0.1
    • dmg basic hull /= 1
    • dmg hardened hull /= 3
    You would need to blow up 5 vitals to kill 1 basic hull and 15 vitals in range of 1 hardened hull.

As the target vital is exposed, it would mean that killing 1 layer is killing 3 layers. Thus you could just let weapons deal 1/3 damage...

This relative hp compared to basic hull is much better than hp*armour, and you can change hp values (dmg accuracy) during updates independent of the server.cfg.
    But that wouldn't help...at all... you still have the problem of having guns just blow through armor once the shields are down, they hit the power storage, and kaboom, no more ship.