Power Computer?

Do you like the idea of power systems?

• Yes

Votes: 9 90.0%
    • No

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    Ok so my Idea is to have a power computer block. Its job is to take the out put of a selected group of power blocks and direct the energy somewhere. You link power block configurations to the computer just like you would AMC's to a weapons computer. Weapons computers/missile computers (Thrust blocks, shield blocks) must have a power computer linked to them and the power computer must be linked to power blocks. This idea would need that power blocks and power storage blocks (optional) be linked to the power computer.

This would allow dedicated power generation for certain systems. ex Having one reactor for AMC's, another for a different group of AMC's.
    Pros:
    No more running out of power when firing AMC's and decide to run (open to debate of whether this is good)
    Allows more control and diversion of ships. Different (maybe smarter) setups are possible.
    Ship building requires more planing. IE you can't just through something together.
    You could start saying cool stuff like "I'm powering weapons" or "divert power from AMC's to thrusters"... I don't know.

Another version of this system may be a viable alternative. Instead of power blocks being linked to a power computer, the energy generation/storage of the ship stays as it is now. Instead the power computer can be linked to a weapons or other computer (A thrust computer perhaps) and limit the withdrawal of that system. Ex: Set this weapons computer to only use X% of the maximum regen.

I personally drool over the idea of having to customize systems. I think a power distribution would be a good system because it would:
    1. Provide away of "tuning" a ship ex Have 2 identical ships preform differently
    2. Provide another step to researching and developing ship technologies
    3. Provide a little more difficulty in building a ship

Personally I would like a conduit system needing blocks to bring the power to different places but I've noticed the game moving forwards with the linking system.

Reactions: Fwyrl

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    +1 This is something I have wanted since I found the game

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Instead of hard-locking power computers to other systems computers i'd like to see a way of transferring power to certain systems while in need. Probably GUI based, not done by blocks.
    It would be most useful while flying damaged ship, so my turrets and weapons wouldn't get any power, but my thrusters and shields would be still operational.

Maybe it could be done by pre-made custom power dispense builds, with basic "everybody get how much it want" and few more with player's set levels of maximum en. consumption for each system and/or "he takes first, then the rest".

Reactions: Fwyrl

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    rece ktore leczo

You can do that eventually with logic blocks.
    I would like to have a hotkey (like wasd) assigned to activation blocks to perform more complex tasks and available while in range of a terminal module linked to them :)

Last edited by a moderator:

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Oh, i haven't heard the activation blocks are able to transfer energy from one system to another
    They could trigger weapon systems and thrusters. But we don't have full support for such a complex thing in a stage that early.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I definitely like this idea, but I feel like there needs to be an easier way to connect all ready placed blocks to a computer. It's really annoying when you need to change the position of a computer and then have to tear up and replace every block that was connected to it.

Still, a +1 is a +1 :)

Reaction score
    I definitely like this idea, but I feel like there needs to be an easier way to connect all ready placed blocks to a computer. It's really annoying when you need to change the position of a computer and then have to tear up and replace every block that was connected to it.

Still, a +1 is a +1 :)
    I agree maybe have a way to place a new computer and have it transfer everything from the old one

Reactions: 1adog1
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Connecting blocks to the computer now is relatively easy. If You press "c" on the computer, then aim at the weapon blocks, hold shift (or ctrl, don't remember) and press "v" then whole group of blocks, which are touching each other, get connected. Pretty helpful thing :)

I know it's working in the dev build, not sure about current stable one.

Reactions: 1adog1 and Yaodin
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    shift-v gives you a whole group. Personally, I would like a way to deactivate thrusters so I don't ram into stuff while docking, but can still zip around in my fighter.

Reaction score
    Ya I know the shift v trick but it would still be nice to be able to "transfer" every connected block. I know I build my weapons system and then build the power and other systems around it so its all solid