Power changes are ridiculous and broken

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    I think I saw a graph somewhere but might as well post a more official one:

Y-axis: power regen/second
    X-axis: block count of a single reactor group (with increasing dimension, so basically a line or a L shape)

The blue line is what we had:
    • 1 mil soft cap with 1.000696 power growth
    The green line is what we have right now:
    • 2 mil soft cap with 1.000696 power growth
    The red line is where we're going for the next update, and what the council + me had in mind originally:
    • 2 mil soft cap with 1.000348 power growth

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    Hmm, interesting, I really like graphs.
    The fact that their is a graph really makes me appreciate and like this change.

I think Lancake should be appointed "graph and pie chart coordinator" and that will be his job.

You guys think I am joking or being sarcastic but I am figuring out how to google sheets as we speak.

Reactions: Ithirahad

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Jeez, am I the only one that finds apple pie to be exceedingly boring? :\
    [DOUBLEPOST=1449434558,1449434484][/DOUBLEPOST]
    The red line is where we're going for the next update, and what the council + me had in mind originally
    How'd we end up with the Shitty Values in the first place then?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    This is about the doubled regeneration, not the 2 mill softcap i think. I am fine with the new softcap
    It would have been fine if it was just that the softcap was raised to 2 mil. But that isn't what happened- all power got doubled to make things that were currently 1mil into 2 mil.
    I should apologise for arguing earlier, I hadn't even noticed the doubled regen at the time and should have had my facts straight first. I agree that it is a bit too much.

The red line is where we're going for the next update, and what the council + me had in mind originally:
    That looks much better.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I should apologise for arguing earlier, I hadn't even noticed the doubled regen at the time and should have had my facts straight first.
    Not really your fault, the update notes didn't mention the increased regen, only the increased cap.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Not really your fault, the update notes didn't mention the increased regen, only the increased cap.
    Possibly, but being nice doesn't cost anything and hopefully balances out the times when I act like a douche :)

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    Jeez, am I the only one that finds apple pie to be exceedingly boring? :\
    [DOUBLEPOST=1449434558,1449434484][/DOUBLEPOST]
    How'd we end up with the Shitty Values in the first place then?
    The Shitty Values were the default values used in the 1mil power softcap. They basically meant that within a given number of blocks in a group, that group would reach the softcap. Thus, everything got doubled. At least, that's what I think happened.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    The Shitty Values were the default values used in the 1mil power softcap. They basically meant that within a given number of blocks in a group, that group would reach the softcap. Thus, everything got doubled. At least, that's what I think happened.
    I know what change is, I have something of an idea as to how the formula/function works, and I know what the result of the change is. All I'm asking is how we ended up with that change, given this statement:

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Next update:
    Power supply beams can´t hit the entity they are docked at --> more crying.

Can´t wait to read it. :schema:
    I confess that if that happens, I'd be very happy. I'd even consider becoming active on the game again.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    It's not gonna happen until we have an alternative, I don't think. Power is eventually getting a mechanics pass, if I remember correctly, and that will probably include some kind of fueled reactor for larger ships, at which point there will be no need for docked reactors and they can be nerfed out. However, I will still miss docked power transfer for more legitimate things, like storing power (not generating it) in docked entities as a 'battery'-type thing, and 'injecting' it into your ship when you need extra power for something.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    I don't believe the recent power changes are broken. They are a massive change to design dynamics and I do find it more than a little frustrating to have ALL of my large designs (the ones that take weeks of work to tighten up) obsoleted for a massive change that seems arbitrary at this stage in development.

Double the power grids - sure. Why not quadruple? Why not x10? Why not a 25% boost? Serious question. Is there some factor or specific goal that makes doubling the power not arbitrary?

Not to mention the multiplayer performance issue. Recent performance improvements along with other changes have seen servers running stable in the 20s and 30s of players. Double the power system means pointlessly huger ships are easier to build and seems like it's encouraging a backslide in multiplayer server performance (unless serv-ads spend time policing arbitrary block limits on ships).

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    The thing to remember this game isn't just meant to be just multiplayer or that everyone has a big ship to start with.
    I suggest starting out new and working for everything and the power changes tend to fit more in.
    Starting new building a ship with the new current cargo weight changes and for storage and stuff you simply need more power.
    Considering it the one ship may be your only ship for some time you will also need to defend it.
    You also might want a ship to take on pirates and salvage them. Again cargo/storage required.
    Ships in short are going to be bigger much bigger for a starting character than they were in the past.
    I started by using 6 cubes that equated to 700 mass storage from what I remember. Filled it up fast. Unless you want to be making trips every few minutes back to your base you will want more than that. Which means your ship needs more power.

Considering the early stage in development they seem to be I suspect that there will be changes and more stuff for your ship to fill up with other than 80% being weapons. Such maybe they will add life support or something else. No idea.

If not they probably will adjust it and then we will hear all of you again on here complaining.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    I don't believe the recent power changes are broken. They are a massive change to design dynamics and I do find it more than a little frustrating to have ALL of my large designs (the ones that take weeks of work to tighten up) obsoleted for a massive change that seems arbitrary at this stage in development.

Double the power grids - sure. Why not quadruple? Why not x10? Why not a 25% boost? Serious question. Is there some factor or specific goal that makes doubling the power not arbitrary?

Not to mention the multiplayer performance issue. Recent performance improvements along with other changes have seen servers running stable in the 20s and 30s of players. Double the power system means pointlessly huger ships are easier to build and seems like it's encouraging a backslide in multiplayer server performance (unless serv-ads spend time policing arbitrary block limits on ships).
    power doesnt change the time needed to go out and grind planets to bits for resources or go aroun dbuying em. thats the limit realy. before you could have easily used docked reactors for more power. this just eliminates them

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    The thing to remember this game isn't just meant to be multiplayer or that everyone has a big ship to start with.
    I suggest starting out new and working for everything and the power changes tend to fit more in.
    Starting new building a ship with the new current cargo weight changes and for storage and stuff you simply need more power.
    Considering it the one ship may be your only ship for some time you will also need to defend it.
    You also might want a ship to take on pirates and salvage them. Again cargo/storage required.
    Ships in short are going to be bigger much bigger for a starting character than they were in the past.
    I started by using 6 cubes that equated to 700 mass storage from what I remember. Filled it up fast. Unless you want to be making trips every few minutes back to your base you will want more than that. Which means your ship needs more power.

Considering the early stage in development they seem to be I suspect that there will be changes and more stuff for your ship to fill up with other than 80% being weapons. Such maybe they will add life support or something else. No idea.

If not they probably will adjust it and then we will hear all of you again on here complaining.
    This is so hilariously wrong.

So, sure, let's say you need to build a larger ship to haul more cargo. You don't keep your power the same. You increase the amount of power to match the larger amount of thrusters you need to more that increased cargo. The cargo system does NOT make people need more power for their ships.

Furthermore- no one builds a ship that is 80% weapons. It's impossible to have enough power to do so.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I said "pie coordinator" not "pie chart coordinator", but how about this?
    You got my vote for pie coordinator
    [DOUBLEPOST=1449609967,1449609814][/DOUBLEPOST]
    This is so hilariously wrong.

So, sure, let's say you need to build a larger ship to haul more cargo. You don't keep your power the same. You increase the amount of power to match the larger amount of thrusters you need to more that increased cargo. The cargo system does NOT make people need more power for their ships.

Furthermore- no one builds a ship that is 80% weapons. It's impossible to have enough power to do so.
    Go back read third comment on this post by Master_Artificer you will see what I was replying to.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Go back read third comment on this post by Master_Artificer you will see what I was replying to.
    If you were paying attention, you would have noticed that they actually FIXED the broken power issues. People can't do what Artificer was describing anymore.