Power changes are ridiculous and broken

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Ships CANNOT burn through their power anymore. This is ridiculous. Overdrive is the only weapon combo that gets anywhere near using enough power. My factionmate Master_Artificer can permacloak his armor tank with the new power changes.

Revert this absurd change. It's broken everything, and for what?

These kinds of changes NEED to be tested before getting released. It's made overdrive into the only smart weapon on anything under the softcap.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Ships can burn through their power if they're designed with a 2mil softcap already in place. I'd argue that it's more like many prior changes to the game, pre existing ships may become obsolete but once redesigned they work fine.

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    they doubled the power regen. 40% of said ships BLOCK COUNT was a weapon and had power to support it before the changes.

then 10% engines, 10% shields, (roughhly) and 40% armor. Now i have enough power to permacloak it.

I would need to make the gun 80% of my ships mass I think to reach the power drain that these machine guns have

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Ships can burn through their power if they're designed with a 2mil softcap already in place. I'd argue that it's more like many prior changes to the game, pre existing ships may become obsolete but once redesigned they work fine.
    Correct- older ships are now obsolete. That does not make this a good balance change. It what world is it balanced to be able to easily mount overdrive (undeniably the most powerful weapon combo if not for the high power costs) on every ship at the softcap? In what world is it balanced to be able to permacloak a heavily armored, tanky ship?

This is broken. This is not a change for the better- it is a complete destruction of the existing meta for a horrible one where the guns are OP as hell and everything cloaks.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I guess it comes down to your server's metagame, where I play no one makes ships with only 10% shields, or without jump drives, scanners etc and generally with more than 1 weapon system using the extra power. I believe this issue is more related to cloaking not requiring modules to go with the computer which is a much larger problem. Anyway just voicing my opinion.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I guess it comes down to your server's metagame, where I play no one makes ships with only 10% shields, or without jump drives, scanners etc and generally with more than 1 weapon system using the extra power. I believe this issue is more related to cloaking not requiring modules to go with the computer which is a much larger problem. Anyway just voicing my opinion.
    That just means it'll be even easier for people to permacloak on that server. Advanced armor is heavy. A ship that uses shield tanking instead is much lighter.

Do you seriously not see how broken it is for nearly every ship to be able to mount massive overdrive weapons and permacloak when 40% of the ship is armor?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen
    That just means it'll be even easier for people to permacloak on that server. Advanced armor is heavy. A ship that uses shield tanking instead is much lighter.

Do you seriously not see how broken it is for nearly every ship to be able to mount massive overdrive weapons and permacloak when 40% of the ship is armor?
    i think its nice. allows for some good RP stealth craft (believe there was a stealth craft in starwars that was heavily armored and armed)
    also nice change
    but think of it this way lecic. you decloak on fire still. but then again superior mandalorian engineering has built vessels that do not drop cloak on fire but have aslow fire rate

Reaction score
    • Purchased!

I don't, considering that now cargo now adds mass and requires empty space and the main point of combat in the game at present is to loot the ships you destroy. You're gonna need that extra power and more space for thrusters and possibly jump drives as well to propel a loaded ship.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    i think its nice. allows for some good RP stealth craft
    You could build RP stealth craft before this change. Would you like to see pictures of the cloaker I built with room for two and a bathroom?

[DOUBLEPOST=1449294625,1449294540][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I don't, considering that now cargo now adds mass and requires empty space and the main point of combat in the game at present is to loot the ships you destroy. You're gonna need that extra power and more space for thrusters and possibly jump drives as well to propel a loaded ship.
    Yeah, no. If I can permacloak an armor tank, the weight of some cargo isn't going to mean jack-shit.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen
    You could build RP stealth craft before this change. Would you like to see pictures of the cloaker I built with room for two and a bathroom?

[DOUBLEPOST=1449294625,1449294540][/DOUBLEPOST]

Yeah, no. If I can permacloak an armor tank, the weight of some cargo isn't going to mean jack-shit.
    now thats not real hull now is it? now we can accualy use armor and stealth ships will hold together a bit better if sneezed on

Reactions: Master_Artificer

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    stealth ships are dumb. You SHOULD NOT be able to easlily cloak a 100k+ mass ship like this, but yet, now you can (with docked reactors, but still)

Reactions: Lecic

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    now thats not real hull now is it? now we can accualy use armor and stealth ships will hold together a bit better if sneezed on
    There's a difference between cloaking with BASIC hull being possible vs what we now have, which is ships that are 40% armor can still cloak fine and dandy.

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    i guess what I dont like is that it is now a "why bother" with worrying about power and fiddiling with everything and making sure everything is alrght.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    There's a difference between cloaking with BASIC hull being possible vs what we now have, which is ships that are 40% armor can still cloak fine and dandy.
    Which is why cloaking needs to be fixed before it's taken into account in a discussion about balance.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Which is why cloaking needs to be fixed before it's taken into account in a discussion about balance.
    The issue here is not so much that something with that much armor can cloak (don't get me wrong, though, it's an issue.) as much as that ships have so much excess power now that they CAN cloak something like that with the current system.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    The issue here is not so much that something with that much armor can cloak (don't get me wrong, though, it's an issue.) as much as that ships have so much excess power now that they CAN cloak something like that with the current system.
    It comes down to opinion I guess, I've been playing multiplayer with 2mil softcap for months, and in my experience when you design ships with that in mind you soon find plenty to use up the excess power on and find yourself wishing you had a higher softcap. We may as well agree to disagree.

Reactions: Master_Artificer

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    It comes down to opinion I guess, I've been playing multiplayer with 2mil softcap for months, and in my experience when you design ships with that in mind you soon find plenty to use up the excess power on and find yourself wishing you had a higher softcap. We may as well agree to disagree.
    This is about the doubled regeneration, not the 2 mill softcap i think. I am fine with the new softcap

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    This is about the doubled regeneration, not the 2 mill softcap i think. I am fine with the new softcap
    Yes.

It would have been fine if it was just that the softcap was raised to 2 mil. But that isn't what happened- all power got doubled to make things that were currently 1mil into 2 mil.

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    Also, granted, this ship is an extreme case to get my point across, that they had thrown all that great balancing for the past few months out the window. Sure it wasnt perfect, but it was way better than it was now.

Reaction score
    Y'know, you guys exclusively talk about cloaking as the reason the power change is bad. Can't scanners disable cloaking? So what exactly is the big deal if heavier ships can cloak? I honestly do not see the issue, really. It really does seem like more of a personal preference than an actual legitimate balance concern.

But regardless it's as Bonus said, if cloaking is now an issue then that means cloaking, not power, is what needs to be looked. Also I think you both (lecic and arti) need to understand that this power change was intended to be a buff. Everything stat-wise that was changed was buffed, so the fact that it's stronger is an intended feature and, so far, hasn't really demonstrated any actual balance issues.