Power Chamber Rework

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    Ever since the power update went live I've always thought the power chamber was one of the most underwhelming chambers besides the mass chamber. Its usefulness is very limited and it potentially can be used for so much more.

I'm dedicating a thread to this as it would be too much for a simple post on the dedicated chamber suggestion thread.

Now then I've come up with a sample for a rework of the chamber that expands on previous upgrades while adding new ones that will increase the chambers overall usefulness.
    Power Chamber Rework.png
    I will give a brief description of what each chamber does as well as some potential stats. Obviously these will be up for debate.

Base Power Enhancement
    Works the same as the one currently in game. gives a minor boost to power while being the basis for additional power boosts.
    *Power +10%, CC: +5%
    Power Boost level 1-3
    An additional upgrade for a reactor's power. Further increasing it at the cost of overall reactor HP.
    *lvl 1: Power +15%, Reactor HP: -10%, CC: +5%
    *lvl 2: Power +25%, Reactor HP: -10%, CC: +10%
    *lvl 3: Power +50%, Reactor HP: -20%, CC: +10%
    Docked Power level 1-3
    A chamber that allows docked entities on your ship to use a portion of its own power grid when using its on board systems. Similar to the way docked power used to work.
    *lvl 1: Docked Power +10% usage, CC: +5%
    *lvl 2: Docked Power +15% usage, CC: +5%
    *lvl 3: Docked Power +25% usage, CC: +10%
    Power Redirect Base
    A new chamber tree that allows ships to redirect power from other systems to greatly increase the abilities of another. Adding this chamber will add 3 map-able buttons to the weapons menu titled "Power to Weapons", "Power to Shields", and "Power to Thrusters". Activating one of these will grant a timed buff to your ship based on the one you used.

Increasing power to weapon systems will increase the recharge rate of all weapons on the ship at the cost of slower shield recharge and lower overall thrust. Increasing power to shields will increase shield recharge rate but hamper weapon recharge and lower thrust. Power to Thrusters increases overall thrust and top speed but decreases weapon and shield recharge rates.

Once activated a short recovered period will commence. After this period you may activate another one while the first one is still active. For instance you may switch from "Power to Weapons" to "Power to Thrusters" before the timer for power to weapons is up. The branching chambers will greatly increase the power devoted to their associated systems at increasing greater cost to the others.
    *Adds Active Ability "Power to Weapons", Weapon Recharge: +25%, Shield Recharge: -50%, Thrust: -30%, Active time: +30s
    *Adds Active Ability "Power to Shields", Weapon Recharge: -50%, Shield Recharge: +25%, Thrust: -30%,Active time: +30s
    *Adds Active Ability "Power to Thrusters", Weapon Recharge: -50%, Shield Recharge: -50%, Thrust: +30%, Active time: +30s
    CC: 10%
    Weapons Priority level 1 & 2
    Additionally increases weapon charge rate at the expense of shield recharge and thrust.
    *lvl 1: Weapon Reload Speed: +25%, Shield Recharge: -50%, Thrust: -30%, Active time: +30s, CC: +10%
    *lvl 2: Weapon Reload Speed: +50%, Shield Recharge: -20%, Thrust: -30%, Active time: +60s, CC: +15%
    Shields Priority level 1 & 2
    Additionally increases shield charge rate at the expense of weapon recharge and thrust.
    *lvl 1: Weapon Reload Speed: -50%, Shield Recharge: +25%, Thrust: -30%, Active time: +30s, CC: +10%
    *lvl 2: Weapon Reload Speed: -20%, Shield Recharge: +50%, Thrust: -30%, Active time: +60s, CC: +15%
    Thrusters Priority level 1 & 2
    Additionally increases thrust at the expense of shield and weapon recharge.
    *lvl 1: Weapon Reload Speed: -50%, Shield Recharge: -50%, Thrust: +30%, Active time: +30s, CC: +10%
    *lvl 2: Weapon Reload Speed: -20%, Shield Recharge: -20%, Thrust: +40%, Active time: +60s, CC: +15%
    Reactor Switch Speed level 1 & 2
    A chamber that increases the speed in which you switch to another reactor. The increase in switch speed only affects the reactor that has this chamber.
    *lvl 1: Reactor Switch Speed +50%, CC: +5%
    *lvl 2: Reactor Switch Speed +50%, CC: +10%
    Reactor Fail Safe
    Works the same as the current version. Automatically switches to another available reactor if the current one is damaged beyond a certain threshold. Except this one has the additional benefit of instant reactor switch speeds.
    *Reactor Switch Speed: +Instant, +Reactor Fail Safe, CC: +10%

Potential Addendum
    This is a potential addition to the Power Redirect chamber. As the power of individual systems increases special bonuses and penalties could be applied to each system. These will be different than just stat changes and could affect how players build their ships.
    Weapon Priority
    Temporary Buffs
    Base: Increases Charge speed of Cannon+Missile
    lvl 1: Adds Friendly protection for Missile+Cannon
    lvl 2: Disables shield drain from Beam+Beam​
    Temporary Debuffs
    Base: Slower Shield recharge, Lower thrust
    lvl 1: Shield Recharge Stops, Docked Thrust disabled
    lvl 2: Shields drain, Decreased max shields, Max Speed reduced to minimum​

Shield Priority
    Temporary Buffs
    Base: Shield bubble increases in size
    lvl 1: Shield bubble further increases in size
    lvl 2: Shield bubble further increases in size, Increased Max Shields​
    Temporary Debuffs
    Base: Weapon reload speed slowed, Lower thrust
    lvl 1: Weapon reload stops, Docked Thrust disabled
    lvl 2: Weapons disabled, Max Speed reduced to minimum​

Thrusters Priority
    Temporary Buffs
    Base: Increase Max Speed (Beyond server max)
    lvl 1: Further increase Max Speed (Beyond server max)
    lvl 2: Further increase Max Speed (Beyond server max), Max Thrust in all Directions​
    Temporary Debuffs
    Base: Weapon reload speed slowed, Slower Shield recharge
    lvl 1: Weapon reload speed stops, Shield recharge stops
    lvl 2: Weapons disabled, Shields drain​

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    I honestly like this idea. The chambers that go unused or under used is too damn high.

TBH the weapons and power systems are so convoluted at this point you'd have to take an IRL semester of star-maths just to get certified as a systems builder within the game. I've got a doc somewhere that I was using to figure out some sort of sliding scale for ship mass to weapons, shielding and thrust potentials that someone who knows the chamber system would have an advantage but even a nuub builder could produce something viable without needing a spreadsheet. Coupled with this layout for power chambers I imagine it would give a greater advantage over what I had and where the system is now.

Reactions: Crimson-Artist
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    These are all viable ideas as far as I can tell, and frankly I like them all.

Oh, I did have a suggestion of my own; I would sincerely like a;
    Power stability bonus chamber;
    Each level increases the stabilizer strength of each of your stabilizer groups by 5%.
    Chamber cc cost/level; 5, 10, 15.
    Total of 30 at lvl 3
    Just because some craft I have no need for further chambers, but I cant get enough stability or would like more