Power 2.0 Stations!

Reaction score
    Shield Radius = 25 + 5 * (Recharge Block Count^0.3)

So Block Count to cover a 8km sector would be around ~5M blocks. Or 500k mass in rechargers.
    does that take the Diminishing return into account? because i really doubt that you will get an 8km bubble from 5mil blocks even if you could poweer them ^^

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    yes. i think the easyest way to fix this problem for this problem is to just check if the rail is in the bubble and cover anything docked in the full shield regardles of its bubble.
    That is exploitable. You can just have immense armour plates with bits poking into the shield and they'll be shielded.

Reaction score
    if its still 100% shield sharing why bother using docked armor plates.
    ther should be a ways to differ between ships and just docked things that should be considereed part of the station

Reaction score
    does that take the Diminishing return into account? because i really doubt that you will get an 8km bubble from 5mil blocks even if you could poweer them ^^
    You already have your diminishing returns with formula using power 0.3

Reaction score
    ah ok but its just huge... the station would not be operable in any way with shields like that :-D

Reaction score
    Keep in mind, that many servers only allow one station per sector.

Sachys

Hermit.
    Reaction score
    Which makes them utterly utterly broken with certain design styles (as stated earlier). I'll grab some screens in a couple of days to illustrate what I mean a little more.

Edit: Also, Messy Yholemas everybody!
    Forgot about this, should have some time this week to grabs screens and make a coherent post (instead of one made so late in the day)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I realise I'm resurrecting this thread but I thought I'd post some answers/solutions to some of the issues posted here.

Shields on docked ships are powered by the stations reactor when docked. So if the ships you normally have are fully shielded they will be still be shielded when docked with the station. However this means that you will want your stations to have a lot of excess power as they will have to supply power to all the docked ships as well as the station. Depending on the stations power priority settings if you don't have enough power they might turn off.

The station can also use multiple reactors with different chambers just like ships so my homebase station has a dual reactor one setup for production and one for the warp gate that I can switch between them as needed.

Unfortunately at the moment I can't seem to find a way to use the jump inhibitor or scanner as you need access to ship control bar to charge and activate them. Not sure how the devs can get around this as you don't want the inhibitor automatically activating but it would be nice if the perma scanner did.

With a little further testing I found a tab under the reactor controls you can trigger the scanner addon and that charges it to 100%. Not sure if it activates it or just charges it only as I have no way to test this by myself.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    hmmm... out of curiosity, can you hb shield extend protection to the undocked bases in adjoining sectors? or is it just inherited by docked things

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    As far as I'm aware for a shield bubble to effect a different entity it must be docked to the entity with the shield bubble. If its undocked then they are separate entities and the shield bubbles will not effect each other.

Not sure what would happen if a ship docked to a station is in an adjoining sector to the station. It might be buggy due to crossing a sector boundary.

So a ship docked to a station inside a shield bubble on the station will be protected within the radius of the station shield bubble. The shield bubbles on the ship will still protect the ship as well, as long as the station has enough power to run it as well. But the ships shield bubble overlapping with the station won't protect the station. The shields only protect down the docking chain not up.