Players can sell ships at shops

Reaction score
    This requires some explanation. The way we have things now, if you want to sell a ship for money, you have to completely dismantle it manually and sell the individual parts that make it up. Instead of doing this, what I want is for the player to be able to sell ships in "as-is" condition. Basically, the player takes the ship to a shop and selects an option to sell their ship. That ship then despawns and the player is reimbursed the total value of every block in the ship, also taking into account the condition of all of the blocks. For example, if an advanced armor block is partially damaged, the value of it is lowered, resulting in a lower payout for that block. This will give players a way to sell entire ships much more easily.

Skwidz

turtleStew
    Reaction score
    I think I thought of this one time when I was stealing that npc cargo ship to scrap and sell back to its faction before it glitched and disappeared...

I like this idea except for the shop thing. New stations are being built for the universe update. Perhaps there will be shipyard stations which you have to dock to (in the shipyard). Instead of a regular shipyard controller there could be one which disassembles the docked ship and gives the player credits equal in amount to the sell price of each block of the ship being sold. To prevent any possible (probably won't exist) credit exploits there could be a small disassembly fee since it takes power in real life to grind apart boats and giant ships and possibly the same thing in sm lore-wise. Or whatever.

It's not really nice to take anyone's ships and sell it back to them...

Reactions: Dire Venom
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    I would suggest going one further. How about having a block sort of like a shipyard anker point. You would dock the ship to the anker point then go to the computer that is linked to that block, and enter in the price that you want to sell the ship for. Then another player can come along and if they like the ship buy it. Of course the ship can not be moved untill the seller comes back for it, or someone buys it.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    Take your idea one step further and connect that system to the market.

Check the link in the comment before yours.;)

Skwidz

turtleStew
    Reaction score
    I would suggest going one further. How about having a block sort of like a shipyard anker point. You would dock the ship to the anker point then go to the computer that is linked to that block, and enter in the price that you want to sell the ship for. Then another player can come along and if they like the ship buy it. Of course the ship can not be moved untill the seller comes back for it, or someone buys it.
    Good idea. Instead of making a new anchor block I was thinking of the original being used with the "shop" shipyard computer I mentioned earlier.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Unfortunately, I see this being problematic due to Java 32-bit number limitations. People like to build big. I imagine normal player-made ships are regularly more than 2 billion credits in value. Selling lesser-value ships is fine, but the trade faction might need a sassy reply to bolder sales.

"Hey, what do I look like? The galactic bank? I don't have that kind of cash! Slice 'er in bits and maybe I'll buy a chunk. No sale."

Personally, I'd also like some sort of reaction, maybe a minimum amount of time between ship acquisition and sale, to avoid excessively rewarding ship piracy. It wouldn't make sense for the Trade faction to encourage pirates. You can still steal and sell a ship, but you would need to stow that ship for a while before you can sell it again. This would mostly be protection for relatively new players who do not yet know how to secure their ships.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Unfortunately, I see this being problematic due to Java 32-bit number limitations.
    There are ways of handling large numbers besides primitive data types. In Java, for instance, there is the BigInteger class.
    I would be disappointed if I went to make a deposit and they said, "Sorry, you can't have more than $4,294,967,295 in your account!" :)

Skwidz

turtleStew
    Reaction score
    I would be disappointed if I went to make a deposit and they said, "Sorry, you can't have more than $4,294,967,295 in your account!" :)
    Same but with that much money, I would stop working on getting more and start hording blocks and keep any ships I don't need for construction blocks.

jayman38

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    There are ways of handling large numbers besides primitive data types. In Java, for instance, there is the BigInteger class.
    I remember how credits were back when it was still a credits based economy, and you got real blocks from salvaging space stations. And it's worse than you think, because it is a signed int. So you could only hold up to 2.1 B credits. Back then, there were constant suggestions to increase the credit upper limit.

Last edited:

Skwidz

turtleStew
    Reaction score
    I remember how credits were back when it was still a credits based economy, and you got real blocks from salvaging space stations. And it's worse than you think, because it is a signed int. So you could only hold up to 2.1 B credits. Back then, there were constant suggestions to increase the credit upper limit.
    Not that anyone would need that much. Unless you were building an entire solar system.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Back to the OP: I'd rather not see another special docking block introduced. Just linking an existing rail block to the Shop should be enough. Then add a "Docks" tab to the Shop block for buying/selling anything docked to the station. Only ships you own or have edit permission on would be available to list for sale.

Skwidz

turtleStew
    Reaction score
    I think that's the point of Starmade endgame though...
    There's an endgame? I thought it could keep going forever... jk

Back to the OP: I'd rather not see another special docking block introduced. Just linking an existing rail block to the Shop should be enough. Then add a "Docks" tab to the Shop block for buying/selling anything docked to the station. Only ships you own or have edit permission on would be available to list for sale.
    Maybe not the stick shops though. Just adding a dock to make a place for the ship being sold to simply disappear seems weird enough. I think the ship being sold should be brought to a shipyard and sold there. Besides, I heard that the current stick shops are going to get a rework and may get replaced with either a big really cool market station or maybe a bunch of specialized stations such as a shipyard for buying/selling ships, factory stations for buying/selling manufactured blocks, mining stations for the ores/natural blocks, etc. If that last one's not a planned feature, I'll suggest it unless it's been already or someone beats me to it.

jayman38

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Not that anyone would need that much. Unless you were building an entire solar system.
    I think you are greatly underestimating the value of system blocks and the capital ships they make. Back in the credit-based Starmade economy, players regularly hit the credit limit very quickly. Granted, if the original cost of blocks and things were reduced by an order of magnitude, it might work. Reducing prices is one of the suggestions from the credit-based-economy suggestions.

For example, a ship worth 3 Billion (with a B) credits:
    I have been trying to buy the blueprints of a ship I made, and I can't because it costs 3 billion. This is problematic as the current credit cap is around 2.1 billion. Could this be increased in anyway?
    --- Darkatus, June 7th, 2014, "Credit Limit Upgraded?" Suggestion Thread

Skwidz

turtleStew
    Reaction score
    Oh yes. I forgot about buying blueprints. I downloaded one a while ago and it cost quite a bit. If a player wants to build big and it's not possible to expand the maximum amount of credits then they could build a giant shipyard and pool the required blocks to build the ship and buy any remaining blocks but that would take a while and I don't feel like building the universe's biggest shipyard, let alone the massive amounts of cargo space to store materials.

Reaction score
    Why not just use a long? Max value of
    9223372036854775807... make it a life long goal to fill it...

Reaction score
    We should let some of the devs know about this discussion. There's a lot of stuff being said in here that they may not have thought of yet. Does anybody know who specifically would be handling these kinds of features?

Skwidz

turtleStew
    Reaction score
    We should let some of the devs know about this discussion. There's a lot of stuff being said in here that they may not have thought of yet. Does anybody know who specifically would be handling these kinds of features?
    The suggestions subforum is meant to be read by the devs and then they would decide to add a suggested feature or not. Lately they don't seem to be paying much attention or just not making it directly known that they've noticed.