• Yes

Votes: 5 27.8%
    • No (tell me why in thread)

Votes: 8 44.4%
    • It should be brainstormed

Votes: 5 27.8%

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    I think a melee weapon for ships (other than disintegrators that are one hit weapons) shall be added to the game.
    The first thing that came up on my mind was plasma blades or something like that.
    How would they work?
    There will be a computer connected to N modules. One (minimum) or more of them shall be selected as output of the "plasma" (or whatever will be) and will create an 1 block per output-module of "plasma" that does damage over time on block hit. The damage of the "plasma" will increase per module connected to the computer, but decrease per output-module (a longer blade will do less damage than a pointy stick blade, but it will do much more area damage). The blade could be turned ON or OFF, and it will consume power for its condition.
    Also master-slave will work for it

"Plasma" Computer connected to Cannon Computer

-Smaller Blades (so smaller hitbox maybe?)
    -Smaller percentage of damage reduction due to Number of Output-Modules
    -Higher power consumption

"Plasma" Computer connected to Beam Computer

-Longer Blades (like from 1 block long to 2 block long?)

"Plasma" Computer connected to Missile Computer

-Multiple Blades (?)
    <Well I don't really know what to put here, if you have any suggestions put it down there>
    "Plasma" Computer connected to Pulse Computer

-Damage Increase
    -much Higher power consuption

what do you think about that?

Reactions: PizzaPress

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    For some reason I can't say I'm fond of the concept of someone rubbing their pulsing swords against my rear hull.

Not personally a fan of 'melee' weapons on ships anyways, maybe because it would look very weird. Something about many small ships bouncing off of a large ship only to charge again doesn't seem very immersive.

Reaction score
    While it might be effective for ramming I think the downside of collisions might outweigh any benefit.

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    My propensity for flying space swords notwithstanding, the ubiquitous applications of questionably accurate physics in other parts of Starmade convince me that ramming/melee combat should be an option, though it would require significant optimization of collisions to be stable. I don't expect it to be a mainstay of combat, just a nice option to take advantage of when the stars align for it.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I voted no. I can't see this being much better than a judicious use of plasma output amongst decorative blocks. In short, I think we can already do this with creative use of plasma weapons, decorative blocks to make the blade, and either an area sensor or continuous clock to drive the plasma weapon.

Reaction score
    sure collisions is a big issue, it causes many bugs, but if, one day, it'll be fixed, I don't see why not add a melee weapon that actually works (still I don't like the fact that when you collide with something it bypasses shields but this is OOT)

I voted no. I can't see this being much better than a judicious use of plasma output amongst decorative blocks. In short, I think we can already do this with creative use of plasma weapons, decorative blocks to make the blade, and either an area sensor or continuous clock to drive the plasma weapon.
    what do you mean by that? I said that there shall be a Computer connected to the Module, and only modules can do output

Something about many small ships bouncing off of a large ship only to charge again doesn't seem very immersive.
    Well that's the case of a shielded ship... but imagine a dropship with actual boarding party on it, going to open an hole in a dreadnought while a small allied frigate take down it's shields :P​

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Eh... that kind of stuff is seen in Space Engineers, but that's no reason to not include it in StarMade.

But I doubt many will use it...

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Plasma blades? Bitch please.
    kurogane.jpg
    Know the drill.:p

Last edited:

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    This wouldn't be much of an addition to the game tbh, you can already have a beam shoot from one turret and land on another on the same ship to create something like Robocraft's Electro-Blade things. Adding a weapon that works somewhat like that would just be a waste of IDs in this case.

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    brb stabbing someone in the face with Damage Pulse

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I believe the weapon you're thinking of is "damage pulse."

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I believe the weapon you're thinking of is "damage pulse."
    Want to get creative with damage pulse? Link multiple single block emmiters to a clock on a rotating drill. Now put that on the bow of your ship and ram stuff with it! I believe they call that "brown trousers time" :eek:

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    I think something like this would be rather neat in conjunction with the rail system.

My ship has a blade shaped like a buzz-saw. When activated the blade spins and the arm extends.

My ship has a set of pincers. When activated they close around a ship, locking it in place, and then activate the plasma modules to chew through them.

My ship has a number of 'docked' plasma balls. Something like this: but with modules that emit plasma on all sides. They circle my ship at various angles and speeds.

My ship has a number of 'drill' mounts designed for ramming. A couple of desintigrators on the tip, then plasma modules to chew into the hole that is made.

It seems pretty neat. There are a couple of things that CactusPungente didn't address, though.

Does the plasma go through a block? If I have a 'light saber' design, does the blade bounce off an enemy ship or pass through them? Does plasma go through plasma (if swords cross)?

What about plasma + plasma master/slave set-ups? What about the effect modules?

Reactions: CactusPungente
    Reaction score
    I think we should get some form of ram block, something incredibly cheap, that does more damage on contact than a typical hull block.

Reaction score
    Does the plasma go through a block? If I have a 'light saber' design, does the blade bounce off an enemy ship or pass through them? Does plasma go through plasma (if swords cross)?
    Yes and yes, plasma should have some sort of penetration. The damage applyed to the underneath block perhaps should be less than on the upper one

What about plasma + plasma master/slave set-ups? What about the effect modules?
    uhm I don't really know... maybe the mighty schema :schema:should handle that... or maybe we could brainstorm