Planned crewing mechanics?

Reaction score
    Hello, all. I'm a big fan of games like FTL and Guns of Icarus, as such I really can't wait for crewing. I was wondering if the devs had an idea of how its going to be implemented?

Reactions: MacThule
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    This is a big concern for me, as well. I've basically put aside the game until they release details on crew mechanics, since it will have a major impact on ship design.

As an example, my ships typically use logic-made sliding doors and elevators between decks. I can't imagine that an NPC crew would be able to navigate a ship with these in order to get from their work station to their crew quarters.

I would love to see Schine release a document similar to what they did with thrust mechanics once they have figured out enough of the NPC mechanics to share with us. I'd love to get back to building ships and have them be flight ready the moment the magic update finally arrives.

serge1944

Grand Admiral of The Infection Initiative
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    This is a big concern for me, as well. I've basically put aside the game until they release details on crew mechanics, since it will have a major impact on ship design.

As an example, my ships typically use logic-made sliding doors and elevators between decks. I can't imagine that an NPC crew would be able to navigate a ship with these in order to get from their work station to their crew quarters.

I would love to see Schine release a document similar to what they did with thrust mechanics once they have figured out enough of the NPC mechanics to share with us. I'd love to get back to building ships and have them be flight ready the moment the magic update finally arrives.
    You will be able to tell the npc what to do with logics and quarters so once you tell them they will do what you told them.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Can you be more specific? What it sounds like you're saying is this:
    I assign an NPC to a station. I then tell him to press the logic button to open the door leading from his station.
    I have him follow me down to the elevator and tell him to press the button to call it.
    He then gets in the elevator and can be taught to press the button for his floor, and gets out of the elevator once it arrives.
    Finally, he will go down the corridor that leads to his quarters, where he will be trained to press the button that opens the door and lets him in.
    Then...he can be trained to reverse all of that to get back to his station.

Reactions: Winterhome

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    It will probably be more like AI hint blocks that you have to lay down in build mode and link to the NPC.
    (E.g. Quarters hint 1, Waypoint 1, Waypoint 2, pushbutton hint 1, Waypoint 3, pushbutton hint 2, Waypoint 4, pushbutton hint 3, Waypoint 5, Waypoint 6, Waypoint 7, pushbutton hint 4, Waypoint 8, pushbutton hint 5, Waypoint 9, pushbutton hint 6, Waypoint 10, pushbutton hint 7, Waypoint 11, Waypoint 12, Waypoint 13, Waypoint 14, pushbutton hint 8, Crew Station Hint 1, and then the reverse path to get back to quarters.)

Reaction score
    I really would like players to help crew stuff, so we could have something like Artemis bridge commander.

Only problem is, I don't know how that could be implemented in Starmade.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    I really would like players to help crew stuff, so we could have something like Artemis bridge commander.

That is supposed to be taken care of with chairs. That's also in that development direction document linked above.

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    Hello, all. I'm a big fan of games like FTL and Guns of Icarus, as such I really can't wait for crewing. I was wondering if the devs had an idea of how its going to be implemented?

At this point, I assume you have invaded my steam library.

Reaction score
    That is supposed to be taken care of with chairs. That's also in that development direction document linked above.
    There's nothing that can be done with chairs that we can't already do.

There just isn't enough stuff to do on a shop atm

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    hmm wonder if we'll be able to have NPC pilots when they get into the core and fly the ship around like the AI currently does but the up side to this is the NPC AI doesn't go into this FIRE ALL setup and also could be sent on long distance patrols or something. :)

There's nothing that can be done with chairs that we can't already do.
    Want to bet on that? :P

Reactions: MacThule
    Reaction score
    hmm wonder if we'll be able to have NPC pilots when they get into the core and fly the ship around like the AI currently does but the up side to this is the NPC AI doesn't go into this FIRE ALL setup and also could be sent on long distance patrols or something. :)

Want to bet on that? :p
    Sure.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold

I'm guessing you could just hide stairs for the crew to use. In addition, it's always a good idea to have emergency stairs in case the elevator breaks :P

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    I'm guessing you could just hide stairs for the crew to use. In addition, it's always a good idea to have emergency stairs in case the elevator breaks :p
    I placed a ramp in my latest ship, which I then replaced with an elevator after serge1944's response. I do use some Jeffries tubes to get between decks in case of an elevator malfunction. It's a lesson learned due to the annoying habit of wireless logic to break on multiplayer servers.