Planets and Lag

Reaction score
    Hey Everyone,

So i witnessed the massive super lag from planets... I am just curious if this is being looked into? what causes it? is it server side lag? computer side? just game mechanics because this is Alpha?

I have a BEAST of a computer with 32 Gigs of RAM 2x AMD 7900 3 GIG video cards, I can run every single game on ultra++++ settings and no issues...

this game around planets though and everything just poops the bed... I really would love to be able to land on a planet and build bases and such but as it sits right now... that cannot be done.

I rent a small 11 player server that only myself and my brother play on and we still cannot land on planets... I would think 2 people in an 11 player dedicated server wouldn't be an issue... but it sure is.

Like I said I know this is Alpha and I love this game, I am just looking for some input on planets and what the plan is for these issues.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    I have a BEAST of a computer with 32 Gigs of RAM 2x AMD 7900 3 GIG video cards, I can run every single game on ultra++++ settings and no issues...
    How do the planets load in single player?

What is your view distance? (segments drawn), how much ram have you allocated Starmade to use in the launcher settings? Are you using a 64 bit java?

Those few quick checks might help us improve performance for you.

Reaction score
    How do the planets load in single player?

What is your view distance? (segments drawn), how much ram have you allocated Starmade to use in the launcher settings? Are you using a 64 bit java?

Those few quick checks might help us improve performance for you.

I left the view distance at 1500, single player is identical to multiplayer the planets load the same way. I have 64 Bit Java installed and running and I have 8 gigs of RAM dedicated to Starmade (i have 32 gigs total)

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Gold
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Video Genius
    compared to you I have a potato computer,and I can run huge planets on 10,000 segments drawn easy.
    Do you have shadows on? (ultra?)
    Are you sure you dedicated 8 GB? How did you set up early,initial and maximum memory?
    If i were you I would set it 2048 early,4096 initial,and 8192 as maximum

Reaction score
    Hello Skylord, Firstly I love all your videos, that is actually what got me started.
    I turned off shadows (I actually don't really like them) and I am positive I set it to 8 GB and actually I have it set exactly like you just said. 2048, 4096 and 8192. Is it something to do with AMD maybe? I have 2 AMD 7900 3 Gig Cards so I am wondering if maybe it is some certain settings that AMD doesn't like as I know the difference between NVIDIA and AMD can be huge in terms of what runs well and doesn't...

Reactions: SkylordLuke
    Reaction score
    I have an i5 with AMD r9 270x (2GB) and get an initial lag spike when I come across a new planet, but once the game has generated the landscape the planet loads/unloads/reloads perfectly fine with no noticeable difference in performance, I've got 256 early 1024 initial and 2048 maximal memory (just realised that seems to have reset since I last updated the game) allocated with a draw distance of 200,000 and shadows on ultra. So it seems to me that the actual formation/generation of the planets landscape rather than the loading of the Chunks/blocks is what causes the most lag.

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Gold
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Video Genius
    yeah,it could be that it just doesnt like AMD ahahah,hows your performance once they are fully loaded?
    We all have that initial lag from time to time

Reaction score
    everything seems to be OK one it loads but that takes a while and I can always see the lava crust underneath like it flickers through the blocks on the top... do you think that is my view distance? should I up to to like 50K? see what it does?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Sounds like it could be CPU, have you got starmade running on a SSD?
    Might be best to post more exact specs.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    I can always see the lava crust underneath like it flickers through the blocks on the top...
    Do wedged shapes also have black seams from certain angles? A few radeon users have reported similar things and have compiled some of their fixes here;

http://starmadedock.net/threads/for-all-amd-radeon-users-read-this.6184/

The VBO and frame buffer options in the advanced options and config might cure the rendering issues / flickering.

Initial generation of planets is not instant, and will "pop in" during their loading. If the planet is loading for the first time, seeing the lava (while not ideal) is somewhat normal while it generates. This gets improved with each pass of optimizations.

However once the planet HAS loaded, your specs should not be struggling... is the framerate still un-playable once the area is loaded?