Read by Council Pirates Don't Fire On Escape Pods

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I think it was normal for pirates to take prisoners if they needed to bolster their crew. Losses at sea were hard to make up and lets face it countries like England maintained their naval power with conscription. Many sailors were unwilling draftees who may not have had a strong allegiance to their former captain.

Or, as the orcs would say: "where there's a whip there's a way".
    I use to capture escape pods in Elite and sell them as slaves at the next station. Was quite profitable. ;)
    Thus, killing is the ingame equivalent of "boarding and selling you", which is then implicitly declared as "death by loss of free will"?​

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    OMG, computer games can create a bad influence on your mind. I'm actually laughing at the misfortune of an innocent escape pod occupant.

Oh wait, they were just shooting at me, so that justifies me selling them as slaves. ;)
    Sure I shot first, but that's just semantics.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I'm actually laughing at the misfortune of an innocent escape pod occupant.
    You need others feel bad to feel good yourself?

Mentally healthy peoples feel bad too, because we mirror their Situation onto us.
    This means that this statement would define you as:
    1. A Psychopath
    2. One who does not see anything beyond numbers and distinguishes himself from it
      • miss-guided if it affects real peoples (as I describe in the Ender-Spoiler).
    New OMG, computer games can create a bad influence on your mind.
    As in "you learn to separate yourself from human-looking NPCs" and cancel the effect of mirror-neurons from a healthy brain?

… where the final battle in a computer simulation turned out to be the real fight.
    Ender than saw this as betrayal as in "If I knew, I would have chosen a different way to archive the goal", when he saw the opponents hesitating to attack (before the scout-troop drones attacked).

First he took it at what it was: an attempt at diplomacy, but then he thought that diplomacy wouldn't be included in "the simulation".

but because they were telling him that he is only playing in a simulation and that this simulation has no "attempt for diplomacy" led him to believe that it was the second-highest possibility of action, a "trick" or "preparation of an attack".

If the safe-port is the one betraying him (which requires him needing a safe-port) it can cause a trauma.
    Childs tend to search a safe-port. If this safe-port is required and situational harmful both, they may learn to avoid the situations in which this safe-port is harmful without remembering the abuse or trauma and thus without remembering why.
    As Adults they then still avoid these situations without remembering why.

If this however happens to adults, they often find a solution to not require the subconscious instincts handling this, thus eliminating the chance of getting a trauma. After all, instincts can only handle the perception you allow them to be perceived via your actions/thinking.
    Furthermore adults do not require a safe-port as much as childs, thus there is no conflict between one being both safe-port and mental-killer.

If is this done on purpose to make one ready to get abused, these peoples are mentally enslaved!
    They do actions without knowing why because they hardwired THEMSELVES! to "mentally survive" childhood.

But before you try something silly like shaping your own child to a copy of you (or similar psychopathic ideas), consider:
    1. These childs will be open to abuse for everyone knowing this exploit, thus can be USED AGAINST you.
    2. Humans RANDOMLY brake free and TURN AGAINST you.
    3. YOU CAN GET KILLED because other peoples fear your human-intelligent tools/weapons you created. They will have every moral right to do so because not doing it would near-certainly lead to conflict and harm to their own children and relatives. It is an initiation of force.
    4. Believe "Do not do to others what you do not want to be done to yourself" because it protects you from most negative and unforseen consequences.

4. Point out especially well, why Psychopaths (from "psyche" and "pathetic") are not mentally healthy.

Perhaps this gives you a new perspective on "modern/silent/hidden slavery" and "parental beating of childs".
    To avoid this issue:
    5. simply do not force others and instead teach your child to listen when you tell them to stop and take enough time for thinking/understanding and you will never require force.
    6. There is no distinction between child/adult in age, only in mastered knowledge/skills.
    7. The "Age-Hint" only works for peoples which were educated standard-conform. Because you can have different ages in different skill-trees.

Reaction score
    I think pirates should fire at escape pods or capture them and enslave the occupant. Since the second would require a huge amount of work to make it possible to have a player enslaved I say let the pirates kill them. Why would they want survivors to inform authorities about what happened. If no witnesses survive then it is a mystery as to what happened to the ship. Did it get lost? Catastrophic failure? Pirates? Pilot was drunk and flew into a star?

Reaction score
    Pirates should absolutely try to either kill or capture (if the functionality exists) captives. Because firstly they never know what's actually on the pod, secondly hostages are useful, and finally you don't want anyone letting anyone know you're there and what tactics etc you were using.

Reactions: FatCobra

JNC

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Reviving thread because I had a similar idea to this...

Add "escape pod" to ship type (the options when saving blueprint). Than if ever we see faction combat options, a config box of "attacks occupied escape pods" or "capture occupied escape pods" or anything really could be implemented. This way you could have factions that don't take prisoners, or factions that do.

By default I'd say escape pods aren't shot at or pursued, that way they can function as intended.... maybe a ship can only be an escape pod if it doesn't have weapons? I don't like to see limitations but I guess this way someone doesn't make a battleship and calls it an escape pod, lol

Reactions: rocketman221
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    Reviving thread because I had a similar idea to this...

Add "escape pod" to ship type (the options when saving blueprint). Than if ever we see faction combat options, a config box of "attacks occupied escape pods" or "capture occupied escape pods" or anything really could be implemented. This way you could have factions that don't take prisoners, or factions that do.

By default I'd say escape pods aren't shot at or pursued, that way they can function as intended.... maybe a ship can only be an escape pod if it doesn't have weapons? I don't like to see limitations but I guess this way someone doesn't make a battleship and calls it an escape pod, lol
    It would simplify the OP suggestion. Ships would still have to meet a max size limit and have no weapons to be able to be classed as escape pods, and possibly other limitations as well.