Read by Council Pirates Don't Fire On Escape Pods

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    Change pirates so that they do not shoot at ships that have only thrust and power for their system blocks, only basic hull and decor. blocks as structure blocks, and are less than a certain mass (configurable in the server cfg file). Unless you are the only ship in the area; then they will still shoot at you. If there are other nearby ships that do not meet this criteria, then they will focus on those instead.

Or, have a % chance for each pirate ship that it will not shoot at ships that meet this criteria. It is determined if it is one of those pirate ships when it spawns.

Reactions: MacThule and JNC

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    wait you don't want the cut throat pirates to be so cut throat?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    wait you don't want the cut throat pirates to be so cut throat?
    Wouldn't the pirates just want the ship and loot? And, the new pirate factions are is the scavengers and outcasts. The scavengers would just want the ship and loot, wouldn't they? Why chase down an escape pod unless it has cargo on it? You just abandoned the ship in a pod barely big enough for you, so they would just get stuff from your ship. At least this is my interpretation of them. There isn't really too much set lore on them. All I've found is on Chriss's Thread, so if Schine wants to do this, it wouldn't be changing any lore already in the game.

Also, it would be configurable like everything else in the game, so you can make them all cut-throat if you want. The Outcasts aren't "... the dangerous pirate-y kind," so they wouldn't have a reason to kill you.

EDIT: Unless you have been attacking their bases or done something else to piss them off, I wouldn't expect them to worry about you running away if you leave them your stuff.

Last edited:

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    Wouldn't the pirates just want the ship and loot? And, the new pirate factions are the scavengers and outcasts. The scavengers would just want the ship and loot, wouldn't they? Why chase down an escape pod unless it has cargo on it? You just abandoned the ship in a pod barely big enough for you, so they would just get stuff from your ship. At least this is my interpretation of them. There isn't really too much set lore on them. All I've found is on Chriss's Thread, so if Schine wants to do this, it wouldn't be changing any lore already in the game.

Also, it would be configurable like everything else in the game, so you can make them all cut-throat if you want. The Outcasts aren't "... the dangerous pirate-y kind," so they wouldn't have a reason to kill you.

EDIT: Unless you have been attacking their bases or done something else to piss them off, I wouldn't expect them to worry about you running away if you leave them your stuff.
    i think right now pirates killing everything they look at is an unfortunate side effect of the fact that there is no surrender option in the game. I've been wondering how schine will be able to make being a pirate viable if there is no way to effectively surrender and allow them to take your stuff.

Hopefully it gets worked out when the AI gets looked at more in depth later

Reaction score
    i think right now pirates killing everything they look at is an unfortunate side effect of the fact that there is no surrender option in the game. I've been wondering how schine will be able to make being a pirate viable if there is no way to effectively surrender and allow them to take your stuff.

Hopefully it gets worked out when the AI gets looked at more in depth later
    Well isn't leaving the ship with an escape pot a legit way to say: "OK ... I surrender take my stuff"? However pirates ai should be adjusted so they actually take your ships away with a tractor beam instead of chasing you down. For assasination task there should be another faction beside the pirates.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    My problem with the fooken pirates on some servers is you go shopping in a "safe sector":pyou rek there raiding fleet and they just send in wave after wave until most of your drones are messed up and you say the hell with it and go home.They should only attack until your disabled or they are , and no eternal spawning.

MeRobo

Scrub
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    And, the new pirate factions are the scavengers and outcasts.
    iirc only the Scavs are pirates.

A good reason for pirates to shoot at escape pods is that they don't want any survivers who could come back with more and bigger ships to take revenge. Less survivers = less revenge

Reaction score
    iirc only the Scavs are pirates.

A good reason for pirates to shoot at escape pods is that they don't want any survivers who could come back with more and bigger ships to take revenge. Less survivers = less revenge
    Scavs are the only "official" faction that are pirates (well, not counting the 2 ones we don't know about), but I would imagine that a few of the procedural factions will take up a pirate role.

MeRobo

Scrub
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Scavs are the only "official" faction that are pirates (well, not counting the 2 ones we don't know about), but I would imagine that a few of the procedural factions will take up a pirate role.
    Yeah, sure, but I was reffering to a quote which claimed that scavs and outcast are pirates, of these two only the scavs are pirates.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    For the sake of fun, I think the OP is a good idea. I especially like the idea of a server-configurable % chance of attacking unarmed small ships. Hardcore servers could set it in the high 90s or 100% and carebear servers can set it to zero percent. Additional settings: core systems (such as spawn), regular systems, void systems, claimed systems, etc. So for example, a server admin might want a 5% chance of pirate attacks against escape pods in spawn space, a 25% chance in normal and faction-claimed space, and 50% chance in void space, to simulate a tiered threat system, like with Eve Online's System Security.

Reactions: NeonSturm

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    jayman38 as soon as 1 pirate attacks the pod you are dead. if 25 pirates have that chance, you 4% kills you.

Slavery fleets could include interdiction, stop, emp and pickup-rails against escape pods.
    Slavery ships would have a chance to spawn in fleets and need to be killed before you try to escape.​

Reactions: Micro753
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    while i do think its STUPID that the pirates don't know when to stop KILLING crew. I also do agree there needs to be some kind of mechanics to single out certain entities as Neutral targets. this is something that is a clear flaw with AI and aggression levels. its not an immediate concern, but over time this is only gonna get worse if its not at least looked at as it should be. people can make excuses all they want, "pirates are supposed to be hostile!" or "we cant help it the AI is too stupid to stop when your dead!" that isn't helping the game, it's not even worth the comment, so please don't.

one solution I Suggest is a special block which sends off a special signal that signals as others have said, "An I GIVE UP! SURRENDER!" type of flag to all the Sapient programed AI. I have heard of plans to include non sentient AI if this new mechanic were added, maybe an option to ignore the flagged don't engage signal mite be considered here. but if there were a way to tell the sentient AI to stop targeting the certain entity type that mite make a surrender option viable. this is something ONLY SCINE could add to the game. as it is making some code changes to NPC behavior. I also think its something worth at the least discussing now while they are working on the new NPC factions.

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I thought traditionally, pirates take no prisoners and there are no survivors to report their misdeeds.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    survivors
    Set hostile on aggression should only work when there are survivors?
    [doublepost=1473628236,1473628111][/doublepost]
    one solution I Suggest is a special block which sends off a special signal that signals as others have said, "An I GIVE UP! SURRENDER!" type of flag to all the Sapient programed AI
    Worth looking at, but:
    What stops you from flagging and still shooting at a station?
    How do you know you don't get harmed anyway?
    What lets you still flee in your escape pod which contains nothing of value except your personal life (which is only of value to 1. your mind, 2. slavers 3. transplant-able organ hunters 4. police officers)?​

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Ooh, organ hunters would be an interesting twist to the game. :)

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    I thought traditionally, pirates take no prisoners and there are no survivors to report their misdeeds.
    I think it was normal for pirates to take prisoners if they needed to bolster their crew. Losses at sea were hard to make up and lets face it countries like England maintained their naval power with conscription. Many sailors were unwilling draftees who may not have had a strong allegiance to their former captain.

Or, as the orcs would say: "where there's a whip there's a way".

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I use to capture escape pods in Elite and sell them as slaves at the next station. Was quite profitable. ;)

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Kinda agree , but there needs to be a mass limit (or a softcap) as well.