pirate stations need better turrets

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    the new pirate station turrets are really weak. ideally on a station you would like to put long ranged missiles so nobody is able to get close, but the current ones are ridiculous. i was in a 130mass fighter and managed to kill every single turret on all pirate stations in one go without repairing except the military one made by lancake.

the reason i am really concerned about this is the fact that they have SOOOOO many resources. to be able to cripple their defences in a 130 mass ship is nonsense.

even though they do send ships to you, that doesn't mean the base has to be that weak.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    the building didn't think about making the pirates stations being able to defend themselves. They just focused on making it look good

Thalanor

CEO Snataris Colonial Fleetyards
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    The old stations were actually difficult to overcome in a 130 mass fighter if you were impatient and stopped circling before all 10 turrets were down. The new ones look so much better, but if that is the case then they need a turret buff.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    The old stations were actually difficult to overcome in a 130 mass fighter if you were impatient and stopped circling before all 10 turrets were down. The new ones look so much better, but if that is the case then they need a turret buff.
    the thing was - the old turrets were powerful in the old weapons system

but now a 130 mass ship can have a few missiles and almost all turrets die from one now.

and as i said, the best base defence turret that seems to exist are long ranged missiles (since the station can't move and attack out of the enemy weapon range), but most of them have crappy machine guns with no effects on them

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    You would think since it took so long for the stations to be added, the builders would have added effects to the turrets and upgraded them to be more powerful

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Bigger the station, bigger the defenses. In future I'm hoping for turret upgrades on the existing pirate bases but also some tiny outpost (nearly undefended) and some larger fortresses (which should require a concerted effect to take out).

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Bigger the station, bigger the defenses. In future I'm hoping for turret upgrades on the existing pirate bases but also some tiny outpost (nearly undefended) and some larger fortresses (which should require a concerted effect to take out).
    Oh yeah, that would be fun! The fun of a concerted effort against a well-defended station is well-established in other games, such as Eve and Vega Strike. Good call.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    The easiest solution would be to have the Pirate stations call for more reinforcements when attacked. Last time I played the Pirate station wouldn't call for reinforcements when hit by beam or missile weapons. They would only appear when hit by a cannon. I destroyed all turrets without worrying about reinforcements by using beams and missiles only. I don't know if this is a bug or not.

Reaction score
    The easiest solution would be to have the Pirate stations call for more reinforcements when attacked. Last time I played the Pirate station wouldn't call for reinforcements when hit by beam or missile weapons. They would only appear when hit by a cannon. I destroyed all turrets without worrying about reinforcements by using beams and missiles only. I don't know if this is a bug or not.
    How long ago was this? I recall them calling for reinforcements when I used a missile earlier today.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    How long ago was this? I recall them calling for reinforcements when I used a missile earlier today.
    Good, hopefully they fixed that problem. This was last week that I tried attacking a Pirate base. It was on the dev build of the new station update.

Reactions: BananaStand
    Reaction score
    You all do know that if you don't like the current pirate station,s or their turrets, simply build a new one or capture one and replace the turrets.

The Current Station Turrets on ALL Pirate stations are weak for a reason. That reason is a very simple one, NEW PLAYERS.

New players who have never played StarMade before have to be taken into account when designing Pirates. If you don't do this, they will assume that the game is too hard, and be discouraged from playing again, causing the player-base to plateau and go stagnant. Is is the problem some servers have with their custom pirates, they are either too strong and scare off new members because they can never leave spawn, or they are too weak and in some rare cases, end up getting banned because they start attacking other players.

So again, As the person who helped design the current Pirate, the Isanth Type-Zero, take the points I've mentioned into account before you go bashing others. If you don't like it, build something better.

Thalanor

CEO Snataris Colonial Fleetyards
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Slightly offtopic:
    @ Zero_Sen makes sense. Now I know why the Isanths are basically completely hollow. Teaches new players a couple of things:

- The fact that ships can be built accessible, and that they can have an actual interior.
    - How the power generator system works, and what other blocks are needed to make a basic ship work.
    - How the weapon system with linked supports works (all of the above are hard to see in a solid ship)
    - The fact that they can quickly make something better than the Isanth in terms of systems, or capture an isanth and upgrade it with more system blocks; this gives them a sense of achievement.

Given all these points, props to you. Job well done.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I heard somewhere that schema is going make so pirates spawn more the further you are away from owned systems

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    You all do know that if you don't like the current pirate station,s or their turrets, simply build a new one or capture one and replace the turrets.

The Current Station Turrets on ALL Pirate stations are weak for a reason. That reason is a very simple one, NEW PLAYERS.

New players who have never played StarMade before have to be taken into account when designing Pirates. If you don't do this, they will assume that the game is too hard, and be discouraged from playing again, causing the player-base to plateau and go stagnant. Is is the problem some servers have with their custom pirates, they are either too strong and scare off new members because they can never leave spawn, or they are too weak and in some rare cases, end up getting banned because they start attacking other players.

So again, As the person who helped design the current Pirate, the Isanth Type-Zero, take the points I've mentioned into account before you go bashing others. If you don't like it, build something better.
    You are a care bear. The game should be hard. Newbies should get a couple missiles up their rear once in a while, but they can learn to adapt and build bigger ships like the rest of us. I'm not sure what server you play on, but the one I does has custom pirates and no one has complained from it.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I'm pretty sure at least one of the stations has missiles. I was running around scouting out stations and I died randomly sitting out at 4k away from the station and never saw a shot (invisible missile bug). I know another one of the stations has sniper turrets so lurking close is not a good idea.

All in all experts who have been playing the game for a long time are a bad judge of how the default game should be balanced. You know the systems, you know how to equip long range Mb or Mm missiles to take out station defences.

Also there will be another station contest in the future, feel free to submit one with deadly turrets.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    All I can say is... be careful what you wish for. You just might get it.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I have to say I think some of these stations really needed to be designed with better guidelines... sure the turrets on some may be weak and to be honest I don't even currently have a ship that can deal with the shield regen on that Alpha station. All I can do is cripple it from killing me if I get to close... This is exactly that stalemate situation I was so worried about when the shield mechanic was changing. The station can't hurt me and I can't kill it. Not everybody want's to build big breadnaughts or warboxes.