Pirate spam and frame rates death.

Reaction score
    Heyo all, thought I'd post this here as seems general discussion gets more answers than down in the support forum.

Got a couple of issues I need some help with if at all possible.

Since the pirates were last fixed there is a problem of when a pirate station is attacked by players the spawns are continuous, meaning players soon get swamped with frame rate killing and lag inducing amounts of pirates in no time. Can end up with about 50 pirates in a minute.
    This is not helped by the pirates themselves shooting their own station seeming to trigger even more waves.

It is a massive problem on our server and I'd like to know if there is a way to adjust spawn rates at stations.
    Makes killing the station almost impossible for players and causes massive issues to the server.
    Searching hasn't yeilded me any results.

Want to be able to do something like make the game wait X amount of time before another wave can be triggered, as seemed to be default in the past, where it would take a few minutes before a new wave would be spawned. Making the amount of pirates and killing the station manageable.

We have a server reset coming up so we'd like to fix this asap if it is even doable.

Next problem is frame rates, any tips here?
    Seems some of the last few patches have improved our network when large amounts of entities are in the same area. But it also seems graphics performance has gone to shit.

Been doing some testing with players, we all have different setups, from intel HD toasters to 4GB GTX's and as soon as any action happens everyones framerates die in the ass big time. Basically the old network lag is now replaced with graphics lag.

For example I can turn off v-sync on my GTX 970, have several large ships on screen like a 7 million block ship and two ships with 2 million blocks. and everything is fine when they are stationary or just moving. depending on the circumstances I can get anywhere from between 100 to 900 fps.
    Same for other players with different memory (and settings), video cards and processors.
    I have everything cranked up, like 200,000 max segments, max lights, hires backgrounds etc.
    Some people have everything turned way down to the lowest.

Soon as any ships or stations start firing everyones frame rates tank big time. Doesn't seem to matter if we have 3 large ships on screen or 10 small ones. We've tried various mixtures of ship sizes and amounts.
    Essentially the same results everytime.

I went and lowered all my settings to their minium, set my video card to high performance, and while stationary there was a noticeable increase in frame rate as to be expected.
    As soon as we got the ships and stations fighting the frame rate tanking to slideshows were the same for every one present as always. Regardless of setup.
    The game for everyone on our server regardless of settings is cringeworthy unless all anyone does is fly around and avoids all combat.

Even made sure ships that had heatseekers had them disabled and results were still pretty fucking poor, even with a low amount of ships, like just 2.

About the only thing we didn't try was disabling animated textures on the server. (massive frame eater there those things are, if covered you get a huge frame increase until holes from combat expose them.)

So again anyone have any ideas of how to fix or reduce fps issues with this game? or are we stuck until Schine decides to do some graphic optimisation?
    Reducing block counts on entities and lowering graphics options seems to be doing jack shit. With the exception of eliminating missiles, or disabling trails, but even then that is still not helping enough.

Kind of worrying when people with decent gaming PC's that can play major AAA titles at ultra settings stuggle with such a visually basic game.

Losing several hundred frames per second from some bullets beams and missiles seems kind of crazy.

Appreciate any help anyone can offer or suggestions they can make. We'd really like our players to be able to fight each other and AI without crashing or slideshowing.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    It's a huge issue for all servers, sadly, and a major source of player loss in our community - frustrations with 5fps or less.

All we can do for now is keep petitioning the devs to stop adding more features that continue dragging down frame rate and server performance, and instead focus on optimizing and bug fixes for a few cycles. There are bugs 1-2 years old that are still not fixed. There are lots of things we _could_ do.with pirates and AI / NPC factions if we had dev support for custom config or lua.... But we don't... Yet... A growing # of players will be calling for this more loudly in the immediate future.

What suggest for now is go into ship catalog in game, U, admin tab, then AI spawn groups button. Program in your pirate spawn that you want with maybe only difficulty levels 1 & 2 and put 1-2 ships in, respectively. Then , this is allowed that will ever spawn.

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    Repeat after me.

"Framerates aren't exclusively graphics related."

The problem isn't graphical at all - I'm pretty much dead certain you're getting the shit kicked out of you by physics calculations.

Reaction score
    Yadda yadda yadda [...]
    "Grab the pitchforks folks"[...]
    Usually i'm one of the first to cry for optimizations. But be reasonable!

The game is far from being finished.
    (>>>ALPHA)
    The game is far from advising itself as a finished product.
    (FUCKING ALPHA)

Hell, its still completly free! So while we can happily make suggestions and proposals as we like i don't feel like we are in a position to complain
    (One may argue if the steam release was a good idea, but it was greenlit for quite some time and had to be released there sooner or later as far as i could follow)

A lot major obvious flaws are still in there for legitimate reasons. (Weapon animations/Sound fx/)

There are people like you blaming the performance for player loss, while other players simply state that there isn't much to do.
    And they are right!

The thing is: The game in its current state does lack substance.
    So updates on npc factions, etc, etc, etc, etc are necessary.

And i don't have the same fears as you. A game isn't dying as long there are updates.

So don't be mad at the devs, be mad at me!

Reaction score
    Yeah we had considered lowering the amount of pirates, but the lack of variety means how fucking boring and even with lower amounts players could still get enough ships on screen that they will be screwed.
    Wouldn't be so bad if the simulation fleets were separate to the Station waves as players don't have too many issues with a single fleet randomly generated in game, especially as we have no heatseekers on pirates, only the diarrhoea like spawning from stations is an issue.
    So neutering station spawns also neuters universe simulation. :(

Just fucking stupid the rate at which pirates spawn at the moment from stations, even more so when the pirates themselves are spawning more. Just seems like a massive oversight and I often wonder how this shit gets through from devbuilds to public. As often pretty game breaking obvious broken shit does with StarMade.
    Would of made sense when they patched the in game AI ships to say, hmmm continuous spawning at stations? we better add an option that lets server managers control the frequency.

Hell it's just every ship atm. soon as combat fires up frames go to hell. Makes it worse now we have fleets and fighting in game is now even more appealing to players.

On the other hand they need more content, people are mostly leaving the game due to there being nothing to do in the game but build and mine, like has been the case for the last 3 and they're bored as fuck with it. Especially now as combat is out of the question with the shitty framerates.
    Lack of content and shit poor performance, it's a combination deal for players giving up.

Well that's helpful....... thanks for your input. :rolleyes:
    Point is, regardless of what anyone thinks is the issue, the issue exists and it is a major one.
    Repeat after me:

'making excuses and just stating shit doesn't fix the problem'
    :p

*snip*[/Spoiler]
    LOL ALPHA, that same end all answer to everything. It only goes so far. :rolleyes:

Say it one more time and video game beetlejuice or bloody mary appears or sumthin, so be careful :p
    Thanks for providing something useful to the discussion. You've helped a tonne with your sage advice. :rolleyes:

Completely free? o_O
    Yeah I will just ignore that I and many others have already purchased the game a long time ago in a galaxy far far away and go back to playing the demo. Thanks for the tip, I feel much better now. :p

On the lack of content and fixes I agree, and I actually do expect issues with a game still in development. It's par for the course but the product still needs to be performing at some levels, especially in regards to main features, in StarMades case, ship to ship and player interaction.

Should we play the game to avoid other players or to just leave our creations docked and look at them just so we can maintain playable frame rates?

I disagree with you though on player loss, lack of content and performance issues are the reasons. We get a great deal of players on our server, and more join every day, it is retaining those players that is a problem.
    The game has been out for some time now and honestly aside from some additions like fleets and teleporters, the game is for all intents and purposes is exactly how it was a couple of years ago game play wise, and not much better in terms of performance.

I know plenty of players who have grown tired of it and moved on. Even if the game became triple A tomorrow Schine has lost them.
    I have seen a whole host of server shut down. What is the point on running a server if nobody is playing?
    Used to be about 5 Australian servers up until a couple of weeks ago, now there is just one.

Early Access and being in development can excuse a lot. But you see other games still succeeding during this phase where Schine isn't because content and fixes are regular.
    You get gameplay added and new real content along with optimisations. Last update mentioned a week more of fixes, and here we are over a week later..... This games been dragging its feet for too long and modern gamers have short attention spans with the exception of those who have OCD and Autism.

I know major content is coming, question is will that content come soon enough? And will it negatively impact performance more and break more or will it fix some of the issues that have been present for years?
    Seriously I modified all ingame stations myself within a week to be up to date with the game. Yet the default game still has them with old docking modules and turrets that fall off. Honestly if I had a free schedule I could of had them done in a day. A DAY!
    What impressions does that give new players or those thinking about running a server?
    WOW!!!! major feature of the game is broken as hell and easily fixed.......... AWESOME let's play!!!!!

And I see other stuff that could of been fixed rather easily a long time ago that has gone by the wayside. Small stuff that could make a huge difference to how people perceive this game and that I honestly cannot think of anything that excuses it like the stations.
    Sure people can do as I did and mod/fix it themselves, but they shouldn't have to. Schine could of quickly and easily fixed it themselves.

I know what the main problems are let me borrow your format:
    The game has problems.
    (JAVA IS SHIT FOR GAMES)
    The game is far from having problems fixed.
    (JAVA IS FUCKING SHIT FOR GAMES)
    Many things surprise me in life.
    (LIKE HOW PEOPLE USE FUCKING SHIT JAVA FOR MAKING GAMES STILL)
    :p

But anyways back on topic......... thanks for all the tips, tricks and suggestions fellas for trying to make this games framerates playable. :D

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    And I see other stuff that could of been fixed rather easily a long time ago that has gone by the wayside. Small stuff that could make a huge difference to how people perceive this game and that I honestly cannot think of anything that excuses it like the stations.
    Sure people can do as I did and mod/fix it themselves, but they shouldn't have to. Schine could of quickly and easily fixed it themselves.
    Yes, they could, and if SM wasn't in alpha, and those were intended to be the default stations for the game when it releases, then they would have already. But the fact is, they're doing a full revamp of all the stations - IIRC the Trading Guild ones are already done - and seeing as this IS Alpha, and NOT a released game, they don't see the point in taking an hour out to fix stations that will be patched out in a month or two anyway - an hour that could be used to work on one of the new ships or stations for the much less shitty AI faction system that is planned.

As for the performance issues, as people have stated, this isn't a graphical problem. If there're FPS issues it probably has more to do with physics calculations dragging down people's clients. Removing missile visuals and trails, and turning down graphics, will do nothing to fix these problems.