Recognized Pirate 'Scaling'

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Because why not.
    From what I've been told, PvE is suppose to work (in the future) along the lines of pirate strength (wave strength technically) increasing the further you get from the center of a galaxy. Which is stupid and almost painfully simple. It would almost replace ore mining with pirate hunting at endgame, as you are almost guaranteed to find larger ships (which you would be prepared for), which would then easily be dispatched and salvaged/looted. Such a system would also probably involve shooting a blank at a pirate station to spawn a wave when you are done. This is our endgame?

I will now commence babbling about a few ideas/concepts that could be added to make it more Dynamic (not complicated, Dynamic).

The first concept is with station spread. The further you go from the Galactic spawn point (2, 2, 2) or center, the more likely Stations are to spawn. This sounds like the idea I was just against? Well there is more to it, to be explained later on. The idea is a lower concentration around spawn, with a higher concentration further out. Which stations will spawn in which systems would be decided based on which faction owns the sector. Stations would slowly generate within their 'allied' systems, up to a maximum, depending on their distance from the galactic center.
    I also believe their defense should be buffed to hell and back, and their weapons more focused on sustained DPS, rather than Alpha damage, as that would make them safer to just fly past, but more lethal to those that try and stick around to fight them. High defense to make the fight last longer, and more less alpha so that the fight doesn't end automatically if you are "not strong enough to be in it's presence". When waves are spawned should also be changed, with waves being spawned based on the amount of mass destroyed (I hope that the HP system will apply to stations, so you would have to "overheat" it, rather than snipe a faction block), so we get something that doesn't feel like "HE SHOT ME! HALP".

The second concept would be to split up pirate waves into 3 different types of waves; Patrol, Reinforcement, and Raiding.
    • Patrol is the normal pirate spawning. Ships spawning within sectors which players may encounter randomly. The wave strength of said wave is a constant (though a little lower in the spawn system). However, wave strength would increase for every station of that faction in the system, meaning that at the galactic center, there would be fewer stations and thus weaker waves. But at the frontier, there would be stronger pirates due to the more abundant pirate stations. This creates a Dynamic universe, in the sense that new players to a server would have to stay within the safer sectors that the larger factions and veterans of the servers have cleared, where as the veterans would be at the 'frontier' of space, locked in battle with pirates. Depending on how often pirate stations respawn (I would recommend a low chance occurring at Faction point updates), you would eventually reach a stage where you could not explore any further without pirates filling up your tracks. It could lead to seperated areas in space connected by warp gate, with pirates swarming the area in between.

• Reinforcement. The waves that spawn when a pirate station is under attack. As I said in my 'fairly angry rant' thread, I believe pirate stations are the True endgame, as such the reinforcements spawned by a station should reflect it's strength. Wave strength here should be tied to station count as with patrols (but to a lesser extent, say +1 wave strength for every 2 stations), but with a higher base wave strength.

• Raiding waves. Waves spawned specifically to hunt down a certain player. Part of this idea came from the planned bounty system, where I would expect you would gain credits upon destroying a marked target. Except in this idea, you gain "marked" points for EVERY ship you destroy, player or pirate, manned or just undocked. The amount of points you gain is equal to the mass of the destroyed ship, and is hidden from the player. As the points increase, the strength of the wave that come to kill you also increase, with certain thresholds. The max threshold (The amount of points you need to attract the strongest set wave) could be set via a server config, and would decrease by ~20% of it's current value upon death. The idea here is that more experienced players with bigger ships would want a bigger challenge, so rather than allow them to grind at the other reaches, why not spawn a wave just for them every so often? Ideally, this spawned wave could potentially be more powerful than waves found in pirate sectors with many stations.
    Say the pirate base wave strength was 5, and you found a system with 10 pirate stations. The Wave strength of the patrols would be 15, where as the reinforcements for a station under attack would be 12 (with a base of 7), this allows players to slowly regain control from a pirate infested sector if they are not strong enough to fight them upright with hit and run tactics. Kinda like sabotaging infrastructure.
    The more pirates you kill however, the stronger the raiding wave will get, as you become noted as a threat that needs to be dealt with.
    The last concept I had, was a wave configuration file. The idea is based off of my days where I played Mugen. Mugen was a sprite based fighting game where anyone could add a fighter to their game, you just needed to add the character to the selection screen after putting their files in a folder (kinda like Starmade, in adding pirates by adding a blueprint and setting them as enemy usable). The game also had a 'campaign' mode, and in order for that to work in a game where you could download any character, they allowed you to set what tier characters would appear at, and what weight would be assigned to them. So if you had 3 characters in tier 2, with weights of 1, 1, and 4; the Character with a weight of 4 would appear 2 out of 3 times.
    I would like the ability to customize pirate waves like this. The ability to set a pirate to spawn at wave strengths of 2-10, and then a stronger variant at strengths 5-20, and changing the weight of them at each wave so that the stronger one slowly fades out of use as you approach stronger systems manually. This would allow servers to reliable add an 'rare' spawn among certain waves, like flagships. Things like base wave strengths, max stations and maximum wave strength would also be configurable.

To summarized some (A TL;DR kinda summary)
    Pirate (or other factions once we get that ability) Stations should be stronger defensively, with low alpha and high sustained DPS. The more stations in a sector, the more powerful the pirates are there, and the number of stations in a sector would increase over time, to a maximum set by distance from the galactic center and a config value. This would allow players to dynamically change the strength of pirates on the server, creating a more immersive universe with an actual frontier for those that want to PvE, a safe zone for those that just want to mine and build, and PvP hanging around closer to the frontier, where the stronger ships and players would gather.
    Stations would be more dangerous to stay around and farm for long periods, and pirates would get weaker as stations are destroyed. Farming pirates would tend involve moving around to different systems, not just poking a single one many times till you reach your climax haul goal.

And yes, I like words. Any comments? Suggestions? Alterations? Concerns? Tomatoes to fling?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I like this. Though I would have to say that the "custom weight" is probably not needed, as the system can determine the DPS, alpha, and shielding of each blueprint, and use it to determine what gets spawned when raiding someone.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    I like this. Though I would have to say that the "custom weight" is probably not needed, as the system can determine the DPS, alpha, and shielding of each blueprint, and use it to determine what gets spawned when raiding someone.
    It's just something I threw up there because if you have 3 variants of the same ship, and 5 of them spawned, I imagine it wouldn't be fun if they were all the one with the highest alpha (I'm not even sure if the game can check for that, nor the other stats really, just mass).
    Idea was to remove the need of a complex spawning equation based on shield/dps/mass, and just have server owners decide what wave they want stuff to spawn, and how often. Maybe some server wants a bunch of battleships and only a few cruisers to spawn? Why not have a really rare high tier spawn in an otherwise low strength wave? Might as well give them the option to do that if they want.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    hmm... I suppose so.
    Also that would allow variants of the same type of ship to be easier to manage.

--implementation stuff--
    So first is defining tiers. So this would be numbers, 1 is lowest. Defines the maximum kill score of a player in that tier. Also defines the default and maximum wave sizes of the tier. The higher the player is in the tier, the greater the likelyhood of extra ships, up to the maximum.

Defining ships:
    First, a name for the group, like Isanth-0
    Then list which tiers it gets spawned in, and then each tier has a weight. The higher the weight, the more likely something is to be selected.If you have only two groups in a wave and they have equal weights, then there should be a 50-50 split between each of them when spawned.
    Then list the varients and give them their own relative weights (i.e. weight against the lock-on missile varient) and give the folder name for that specific blueprint.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    So first is defining tiers. So this would be numbers, 1 is lowest. Defines the maximum kill score of a player in that tier. Also defines the default and maximum wave sizes of the tier. The higher the player is in the tier, the greater the likelyhood of extra ships, up to the maximum.
    What I more or less suggested (and likely poorly worded) was a mass based 'tiering' for raider waves. I know we are getting the HP system sometime, which will require you to kill X% of the ship in order to overheat it I assume (or something like that). In order for that to work, the ship would need to remember it's original mass/block composition to some extent, or else the percent would just reset after a block is removed. Using that, add a value to the killing player's "Marked" rating (should be easy enough to add another value in along with HP system that will need to be remembered by the core).

The Max 'tier" would be set by a config value, as well as the "marked" number needed to get there. From there, you can just use a linear (or maybe a curve) formula to figure out the "Marked" rating needed for the other tiers, with each tier corresponding to their equal in Wave strength.
    Wave strength is something already used by the game to spawn pirates, the ability to modify what counts as which wave and telling the game when to spawn them is the principal of this suggestion. As such, any wave spawned within a certain wave strength would be similar, it's the transition from wave to wave that would make a real difference in difficulty.

So if the max wave strength for raiding is set to 100, and the marked rating needed at 25 000 000, you would enter a new 'tier' or wave strength every 25k marked rating earned. Carefully balancing of the wave weights and ships would probably be how you make the transition smoother.

I'm trying to stick as close to existing systems as I can, when I can, to make it less work to implement. I know the game uses "waves" and that it spawns them based off of something. The idea deals with altering that something, and giving the option to modify waves if you want (would be optional, game could auto-set waves as it does currently if the player wishes to not play with it).

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    This game, more than most games, could potentially take advantage of the way ships are made and actually create dynamically-designed larger ships where pirates are supposed to be tougher.

On the other hand, if you have a completely dynamic pirate threat-building system, you would eventually run into a pirate ship so big, it would crash the server. But man, what a ride!

(In other words, dynamic threat pirate ships would be a fun mod, but should only be a mod, not in the default game, because griefers would simply set out for the farthest galaxy and crash the whole server as soon as they could cruise far enough.)

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    This game, more than most games, could potentially take advantage of the way ships are made and actually create dynamically-designed larger ships where pirates are supposed to be tougher.

On the other hand, if you have a completely dynamic pirate threat-building system, you would eventually run into a pirate ship so big, it would crash the server. But man, what a ride!

(In other words, dynamic threat pirate ships would be a fun mod, but should only be a mod, not in the default game, because griefers would simply set out for the farthest galaxy and crash the whole server as soon as they could cruise far enough.)
    I wasn't talking about procedural pirate ships that got bigger. It would be the same as it is now, using "Wave Strength" to spawn pirates from blueprints, just how it decides on what the wave strength would be will change, depending on allied stations in that sector. The Dynamic comes from the change from safe, peaceful sectors to the frontier, where pirates are plentiful, and how that can change over time depending on how actively pirates are hunted.

I can see the resemblance, but it feels different somehow. Probably in the sense that it is kinda squared up. Instead of a gradual decrease in pirate strength as pirate stations are knocked out, allowing stronger players to move on and leave it for still up-and-coming players to take care of in it's weaken state, it seems to be a flat bonus that exists till everything is killed. Could just be me not understanding it right though.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Auto-tiers? Ah, okay, missed that. Still, we should allow weighting between different varients of the same ship, and also possibly different ships as well.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Auto-tiers? Ah, okay, missed that. Still, we should allow weighting between different varients of the same ship, and also possibly different ships as well.
    Auto-assigning ships was left out, never thought to add it to the OP while I was writing it honestly, but it would basically assign ships as it does now.

Different variants would have different blueprints though. You could call them ShipA and ShipB, ShipA might have a weight of 4 and ShipB a weight of 1. That way, 1 variant is 4 times as likely to show up.

That was the point of adding a weight manually, so you could make different ships (or variants, as variants would be listed as a different ship) more common or more rare, depending on how often you wanted it to spawn. Pirates would still need the blueprints, and each variant would be a different blueprint.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    At it's core your suggestion is still "gets harder as you go out" (the very thing you called stupid, lol). I do like the interesting additions you made to the idea, though.
    What I more or less suggested (and likely poorly worded) was a mass based 'tiering' for raider waves.
    That is exactly what I was trying to tell you in chat yesterday, except that you were too stubborn to understand what I was telling you...

+1 because it's an elaborate version of what I was telling you yesterday (despite what you might think) and that I want to annoy you by agreeing without putting up an argument ;)

Last edited:

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    At it's core your suggestion is still "gets harder as you go out" (the very thing you called stupid, lol). I do like the interesting additions you made to the idea, though.

That is exactly what I was trying to tell you in chat yesterday, except that you were too stubborn to understand what I was telling you...

+1 because it's an elaborate version of what I was telling you yesterday (despite what you might thing) and that I want to annoy you by agreeing without putting up an argument ;)
    The difference between this and what you said, was you explained it as a flat increase in wave difficulty as you went out. It's like grinding through an MMO world to get to your "recommend" level area, which was static and never changing. It gets boring.

Who knows, maybe this was all tucked away in various updates to different things. But it sounded stiff and plain with what little you were saying.

Also;
    might thing
    Glad to know I'm not the only one who things.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    The difference between this and what you said, was you explained it as a flat increase in wave difficulty as you went out. It's like grinding through an MMO world to get to your "recommend" level area, which was static and never changing. It gets boring.

Who knows, maybe this was all tucked away in various updates to different things. But it sounded stiff and plain with what little you were saying.

Also;

Glad to know I'm not the only one who things.
    An other thinger? NO WAY!

And yea, I didn't really get to explain that there should be flexibility in pirate spawning. Like, you could still get hard waves in safer regions, albeit rarely.

Reaction score
    Pirate scaling is something we do have plans for, beyond just "larger waves in the outer regions"
    We have even discussed things like (internal math only) "evaluation grading math" to grade ships in how difficult they might be to combat. This plus a variety of other factors can create a far more reasonable and dynamic difficulty gradient throughout a galaxy.

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    CyberTau: I like your ideas but the wall of text gets in the way.

May I slip in a great book-referral here. 'the Elements of Style' Strunk & White.
    Writing in a clear and concise way. A great reference for good technical writing.

(My writing skills have been greatly challenged by the text-limit in Displays too.)

Keep it up tho, your input is always well thought out.