System Attributes-Reasons to venture out of faction space!

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    A lot of the game appears to be centering around factions and their territory. With the 12x Mining bonus for controlled systems there really is no reason to try to venture out of our safe and protected faction space. All a faction has to do is simply pick a system and just faction it up.

theres no sense of adventure as well as risk/reward to the way system conquering is now so I thought of a unique way to spice up empire building.

SYSTEM ATTRIBUTES
    Every system from now on will have a special attribute that will give it unique properties. Perhaps a system has a natural 12x mining bonus or a system is infested with pirates. These properties will be unknown to the player until they use a scanner at least once in-system. Each system will have a random property that can cause a lot of interesting player-NPC or Player-Player interactions. as well as give reasons for factions to fight/ ally with one another. Here are some of the types that I've thought up.

System Types
    1. Calm- Default

The most common system attribute. Pirates have a very low chance of spawning and won't send raids against you unless you're extremely close to one of their stations. Shops have a standard spawn rate.

2. Rich- Natural mining bonus
    These systems have a inordinate amount of resources. These system have a natural 12x Mining bonus, great systems to start off your empire in however they have a very unique bonus upon claiming them. When your faction takes over the system will gain an additional 6x mining bonus to for a total of 18x more resources.
    To balance out these systems are uncommon or have a very high chance of being under the control of pirates/trading guild. More on that in a bit

3. Badlands- Pirate Systems
    Similar to void sectors, Badland systems are very dangerous as pirates will spawn naturally and patrol the system. Pirate stations in these sector will be more powerful as well as more aggressive. Pirate raids will occur through the entire system even if your not anywhere near a pirate station.
    These systems also have a extremely high chance of spawning is groups, meaning that if you happen upon a Badlands system chances are the adjacent systems are also Badlands. Badlands Systems also can't be conquered until all pirate station in that system have been destroyed.

4. Lawless- Pirate Staging grounds
    Pirate Home systems. These solar systems have been completely taken over by pirates and are extremely more powerful versions of badlands systems with one unique caveat. While more rare, Lawless Systems will turn all adjacent system into pseudo Badlands systems. Meaning that pirate raids will occur through out entirety of these adjacent systems and be more frequent making Lawless systems a very high priority for players to eliminate.
    As the same with Badland systems, Lawless system need to have all of their Pirate Stations destroyed in order for players to take over them, however all adjacent systems to a lawless sector will fall under pirate influence and can't be conquered either until the Lawless system is cleansed of pirates.

5. Trade lane- Trading guild System
    These systems are economic hubs. Shops have a higher than average spawn rate and Advanced Shops are almost guaranteed to spawn. Shops will have more blocks available for purchase and may pay more for blocks that they are currently out of.
    Since these systems have a heavy Trading Guild presence, players can't take them over. Perhaps in the future we'll be able to fight the Trading guild similarly to pirates.

6. Trade Hub- Trading guild Staging grounds
    The trading guild equivalent to Lawless Systems. Trade Hubs Are similar to Trade lanes but will extend their influence to all adjacent systems. Unlike the Lawless adjacent systems, Systems next to Trade Hubs can be conquered by players with an added benefit.
    If Pirates send raiding parties against the player, the Trading guild will send reinforcements to aid the player. It won't be anything substantial but its the thought that counts.

While all of these would be good on their own, having system with just one of these properties just art enough Thats why we will have systems with:
    Double Attributes
    Thats right. Systems can have more than one of these attributes. Double attributes can offer interesting possibilities. Perhaps a system is both Rich and a Badland? or Calm and Rich?

Theres always room for more attributes but these are the ones that I thought of with the current game mechanics. let me know what you guys think

Reaction score
    I would love some more variety and I think it will come, but I think it'll come in about 3 or 4 years when the game is complete. This looks more like a finishing touch thing that would be put on a backlog for a heckuvah long time.

Don't get me wrong, I think the universe gets a little samey and boring, and it needs updating soon TM, but don't hold your breath. Right now, the team seems to be simply redoing what they did wrong with the core systems of the game, which is a really good idea that more game devs (especially indie devs...) need to do.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    I would love some more variety and I think it will come, but I think it'll come in about 3 or 4 years when the game is complete. This looks more like a finishing touch thing that would be put on a backlog for a heckuvah long time.

Don't get me wrong, I think the universe gets a little samey and boring, and it needs updating soon TM, but don't hold your breath. Right now, the team seems to be simply redoing what they did wrong with the core systems of the game, which is a really good idea that more game devs (especially indie devs...) need to do.
    i don't expect them to do this right away so i tried to make the system attributes use all current game mechanics so schema only has to make minor tweaks as oppose to introduce a completely new mechanic that we've never seen before

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I like the idea of this, even though I didn't read all specific features, the overall idea is awesome. I hope they draw inspiration from this when thinking about how to make starsystems have more uses.

Reactions: Crimson-Artist