Pilots chair vs cores & chair blocks

Reaction score
    First entry here, so here we go!

After reading a few other threads on chairs, there are two things that stand out:

A) How to balance chairs with additional camera viewpoints, cores etc.
    B) How to incorporate chairs into the existing game.

I suggest as well as having a simple chair block , there should also be a 2Hx2Lx1W sized 'pilot block' (see attached image).

Whereas the chair block simply acts as a way to secure passengers in a space ship, the pilot block has a few more functions. Apart from creating an additional camera view, it more importantly becomes a secondary entry point into the already existing ship core; it doesn't add a ship core, just another entry point to the one ship core. This way, we can secure the core in hull blocks, while accessing the ship from the bridge.

This system shouldn't break any existing builds, and given the pilot seat is the same dimensions as a standing character (in at least HxW), it should be quite easy to incorporate into existing ships.

Suggestions? Comments?

Cheers.

Attachments

Reaction score
    Not sure if blocks bigger than 1x1x1 are possible. :(
    Interesting; hadn't considered that possibility!

Although players are 2x1x1, perhaps it becomes problematic when trying to track voxels in motion..?

Rethinking this, the pilot block could be an invisible block with a small marker (similar to the hanging light), that you place on top of a block that acts like a chair.

In fact, now thinking about it, you would do the same for a passenger chair as well.

Both chairs would be 1x1x1, and you would place them on top of a block that acts as a seat.

Reaction score
    Yes, I like it. I don't want it to be more than 1x1x1 though, maybe just a 1 block screen or something? or steering wheel.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Not sure if blocks bigger than 1x1x1 are possible. :(
    It would have to be a multi-block structure that places itself when you put down the block-item. Or just a block with a model and collision box larger than 1x1x1, which wouldn't be a problem at all.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Rethinking this, the pilot block could be an invisible block with a small marker (similar to the hanging light), that you place on top of a block that acts like a chair.

In fact, now thinking about it, you would do the same for a passenger chair as well.

Both chairs would be 1x1x1, and you would place them on top of a block that acts as a seat.
    I like this idea. for a few reasons, but mainly because this gives builders the freedom to build chairs how ever they want while still giving people the option to have their one block wedge chairs in small spaces.

Reaction score
    Even if you had a seat block where you build the chair around that base block and there you go, a fully custom chair.

Reaction score
    Even if you had a seat block where you build the chair around that base block and there you go, a fully custom chair.
    The problem with a base block, and the reason I originally suggested a 2x2x1 block, is that the camera point ends up being in the wrong space. The 'chair block' really needs to be located one off the ground, at eye view.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    This has already been discussed very thoroughly in at least 2 other threads. Essentially, everyone agrees chairs should exist, and being able to link them to the Core for remote access to Flight/Build mode is a good idea. The only debate that remains is whether chairs should be a block in their own right, or should be an invisible "property" you can assign to an existing block.

I personally think chairs should be their own block which is 2Hx1Wx1L (or 1.5H if that's possible). That way, you can actually see the Pilot sat in it. If you go with the alternative and make it that anything can be designated as a chair, you could have Pilots just disappearing into any piece of wall/floor/tree/lava and still be able to pilot the ship. If you're worried about the lack of customisation that comes from having a pre-designed Chair Block, you could still vary the look a little by placing other blocks around the chair.

Reactions: Ithirahad

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I'm of the opinion that a chair should be an invisible block that the player sits "in" so that their bum is on the block below it... That way, chairs remain fully customizable.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    I'm of the opinion that a chair should be an invisible block that the player sits "in" so that their bum is on the block below it... That way, chairs remain fully customizable.
    In normal game situations, I believe that works best. However, there are MANY Roleplay servers out there, in which the characters are not always human. Some are not even physically present. For example; how could an AI sit in a chair?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    In normal game situations, I believe that works best. However, there are MANY Roleplay servers out there, in which the characters are not always human. Some are not even physically present. For example; how could an AI sit in a chair?
    Uplink from a humanoid avatar, possibly as a redundancy to save the AI should the core it is stored in (ship core) is damaged and of course to converse with humanoids on a level that would better facilitate negotiation(people dislike disembodied voices).

Makes sense, no?

Reactions: NeonSturm
    Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    Uplink from a humanoid avatar, possibly as a redundancy to save the AI should the core it is stored in (ship core) is damaged and of course to converse with humanoids on a level that would better facilitate negotiation(people dislike disembodied voices).

Makes sense, no?
    Well, yes and no. In that sense it would, but why would a hostile AI care about how he would converse with humanoids? That, and many more roleplay questions arise from this.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    You don't need an avatar to embody a voice.

There is no technical limitation that the Holo-Doc from StarTrek Voyager could not create more instances of himself other than what is written in his code.
    If holo emitters are installed in 2 positions, there could be 2 avatars controlling everything the 2 blocks have together.

But I think it would not be fun to play as or be felt as fair to play against a god.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    the problem isn't the how its done. it's everyone willingness to make a decision and do it. arguing in circles is getting us nowhere.

no one is willing to compromise face it you cant win for losing.

Last edited:

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    First off, I like the idea of a 1x1x1 chair block that lets the creator use whatever they want as a chair. I think the Seat Block as I would name it, should look like a seat cushion and be configurable to different colors to match hull color schemes.

1. This allows customization, aesthetics, etc. and is easy to integrate into current ship designs.
    2. When placed on a floor instead of a raised block, the legs could be stretched out in front. This makes more sense in a small fighter cockpit, using up 2 m^3 of space instead of 3. This could also be made into an option that can be configured to each chair making it easier to code. Just let the ship creator sort it out by using wedges or open spaces to keep the head and legs from clipping. In fighter cockpits for example, it may be more visually appealing to let the head clip into a plexglass block, resembling a bubble cockpit.
    3. A holographic "screen" may appear in front of the avatar's in third person to represent the player's camera moving to a non-head viewpoint like an SD Cockpit (which should be renamed SD Camera). The screen need not render in first person, and the current camera-switching code can be used without too much modification.
    4. This is easier to code than multiple blocks, which means that Schema and team can get it done and move on to other features.

Also, the option to disappear into the core should remain, allowing for RP as a holographic entity and as a way to use a core for an escape pod. It isn't entirely nonsensical to put a person in the core. The core is 1 cubic meter. You can fit a human inside of that, plus a few small systems like life support, nanocomputer, and a (rather sluggish) thrust system. It would be far from a comfortable ride, though, with legs pulled up to the chest much like the Morph Ball from Nintendo's Metroid series. This ceases to make sense, however, when your ship has plenty of room for a proper cockpit that lets you stretch your legs out, and who the heck would cram into a 1 m^3 space to pilot a capitol ship?

If it still bugs you too much to enter the core, try asking for an animation of the character squeezing into it through a hatch.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Well, yes and no. In that sense it would, but why would a hostile AI care about how he would converse with humanoids? That, and many more roleplay questions arise from this.
    I wasn't talking about a hostile AI. If it was hostile it wouldn't talk at all and simply kill you. However if you consider the facts that 1. A sentient ai would have immense reasoning and computational power and 2. If it's talking to you it likely wants something. Then it will pull out all the stops to get what it wants, as I said most humans prefer to see who they are talking to. Would you deal with a person for example when buying a car who refused to reveal their face? An ai would play on human psychology to it's utmost. So either a hologram or avatar would be preferable unless they went the "I am god" route of intimidation.

NeonSturm Is rping as a hologram possible? Since RP wise you cannot leave the bounds of the emitter array and you'll die with your main computer. That and technical immortality as long as the emitter array is active. Bah it's your suspension of relief just seems weird to me.

Will reply to anything else later.

Last edited by a moderator:

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    You could have backup twins updated over quantum communication...
    You could use multiple androids or just small mobile holo emitters.
    You are too limited in your thinking :p

mrsinister

Xenophage
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    This is essentially what I was getting at in my Passenger / Chair block thread. Just 1 block where someone would sit. You could build around it and make what ever chair style you want (if you have the room) or it could be that 1 block and the passenger's or friends that sit on it do not get build perms. (permissions) so no one who sits there would be able to change or alter your ship. That's why we have a build block ;)