[Philoshopy] Why do we keep trying to build something pretty ?

What is more important ?

• Vizual

Votes: 41 67.2%
    • Effectiveness

Votes: 20 32.8%

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Nothing wrong with trying to make it pretty.

I mean, I could just leave this thing as it is right now, instead of finishing up wedging and smoothing and adding bits and thingies and other details. But why not make it look decent?

...I mean, aside from the fact that its a perma-cloak ship and they won't actually get to see it much.

Side note, it was originally just going to be entirely black. But then I got tired of how hard it was to see block orientation so I replaced most of it with grey hull until I finish up smoothing it out. I kind of like the Apollo-style look it has now though. Maybe I'll keep it.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    We build the way we build because it is satisfying to know you did something good. Most people i know are paid to not waste to much thought on their projects and just finish them quickly and leave the definition of finished to the lawyers. So building something we care about with the care it requires to make it awesome is a relief we need to keep our sanity. So for me form follows function and designing something effective and to the point being a uniqe design is a reason to be proud about something and thus satisfys me the most. I could neither be proud about replicas (others did the design) nor would i be pleased with something beautyfull but uneffective.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I have the artistic ability of a brick, so I design ships with lots of features...

The sense of accomplishment for the effort you put into the ship/station/entity. (Would help if I finished one)

Reaction score
    I'm very bad at making hulls look nice, but if i could i would. Now, instead of being lazy and complaining about it, I became lazy and shifted my focus to warheads and logic. At the moment I am working on a carrier with someone where i'm building all the logic systems for him. He also built a hull around my torpedo skeleton so now we have a torpedo bomber. So my answer to your problem is: if you cant build hulls that look pretty, than cooperate with someone who can and build the systems for them. Or just go check out darknassius because he makes amazing empty hulls for you to fill in.
    Thanks for reading,
    FireG0dz

Daeridanii

Detail Devil
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I build pretty ships because I think I also build relatively powerful ships, and I don't want my enemies to see boring things destroying them. In all honesty, I try to make my ships look nice because it gives me a feeling of purpose to my creations - without it, I'm building a chunk of blocks, but with a good aesthetic appeal, my ships have stories, individual personalities. Any well-detailed creation seems much more alive than the greatest of doomcubes.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    Most PvE & design/art oriented players seem to feel appearance is very important - I assume that most of what they are doing is looking at themselves and their toys, showing them off to other people, and discussing which ships and stations look the best.

Players who prefer to PvP seem to be more performance oriented - it doesn't matter what you look like when you're all jacked up on adrenaline from a battle to the death or a hot off a successful raid or scouting mission because you're actually doing stuff. PvP discussions are all about what works or doesn't work in various combat scenarios and there isn't much time to worry about whether it's shiny.

There are exceptions, of course.