[Philoshopy] Why do we keep trying to build something pretty ?

What is more important ?

• Vizual

Votes: 41 67.2%
    • Effectiveness

Votes: 20 32.8%

• Total voters

ZektorSK

Poor boi from northern Hungary ^^
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I was kinda Wondering, why do we, as players of starmade, try hardly to make ships and stations look pretty ? Do we even need something to look good ? Why is vizual more importnat to us then effectiveness ?
    Does it make difference, if we have ship like it was made by artist, or a normal cube ?

Leave opinions below !

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Are you making this thread because your own building skills are lacking or something?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Whats the use of playing a sandbox game if you just build newbcubes? The whole idea is to use imagination to build whats in your mind,however you build it in style will be the best because it's one of a kind. (if you don't like the way my creation looks close your eyes!):rolleyes:

ZektorSK

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Whats the use of playing a sandbox game if you just build newbcubes? The whole idea is to use imagination to build whats in your mind,however you build it in style will be the best because it's one of a kind. (if you don't like the way my creation looks close your eyes!):rolleyes:
    It seems that you can't have something original and beatufil, yet still functional and effective

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    It seems that you can't have something original and beatufil, yet still functional and effective
    Have you considered that you aren't trying hard enough?

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    And have you considered actually answering to my question ?
    Your question is nonsense. It's possible to build something that's "original and beatufil, yet still functional and effective." People build them all the time. Your inability to build one is a personal problem of yours.

ZektorSK

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Your question is nonsense. It's possible to build something that's "original and beatufil, yet still functional and effective." People build them all the time. Your inability to build one is a personal problem of yours.
    Don't be so ignorant, and read the thread again, there are atleast 3 questions for you to think on

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I was kinda Wondering, why do we, as players of starmade, try hardly to make ships and stations look pretty ?
    Because humans like things that look good.

Do we even need something to look good ?
    Need? No. Want? Definitely.

Why is vizual more importnat to us then effectiveness ?
    Because any moron can build an ugly cube. It takes skill, or at least a little bit of thought, to make something that looks good.

Does it make difference, if we have ship like it was made by artist, or a normal cube ?
    Functionally? Not really. However, it definitely makes a difference in how people will view you and your faction.

Now, again, I ask. Did you make this thread because you have poor building skills?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Because any moron can build an ugly cube. It takes skill, or at least a little bit of thought, to make something that looks good.
    Take for instance the borg cube and sphere,very deadly ships but lots of detail,maybe that's the ticket anything can be made to look good with enough detailing?:)

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    I actually maintained a design philosophy on a MP server that If I made attractive ships people would not want to destroy them. Coupled with a build-friendly atmosphere I found this philosophy partially useful. Happy thoughts wont stop certain player from attacking anything they see (and some did) . However many people did visit my base as stranger, chatted for a while, shared ideas and moved on peaceably. So I credit having eye-candy with preventing a small percentage of conflict and to a degree it filtered the people I encountered.

SM is a ship building game , not a ship-design spreadsheet. I would guess that many of our community were inspired by Star Wars, or Manga (or other SF) and as such it was the more likely that we were stoked by the cool looking ships and not the efficiency of the power-reactors in said ships. Flying a good looking ship feels different than a death-cube; it is more immersive and helps by adding meaning or context to one's play.

I would suggest that it is a mark of a Master-builder that their ships can be both good looking and efficient/effective ships.

Groovrider

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Shoot for beautifully effective. Convention is commonly mistaken for beauty and beauty is entirely subjective. Remember, there is no need for aero-dynamism, wings, long cylindrical hulls and all those other conventions. You are building something that must survive in a 3 dimensional environment with no defined up or down. Leave space opera behind and let your imagination run wild.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Purchased!
    Seeking from my own builds, I like to make something that I am proud to look at. AND does its job. I want something I built to both reflect how I want myself to look to others, and my skill as a systems designer. The only way to do that is to strive to achieve both beauty and function.

When building like that however, there will always be compromises. Can't look quite as amazing because you need a lil extra room for power. Can't have that extra 1k worth of shield capacity because it would ruin that amazing profile your ship has.

Necessity is the mother of invention. Thus the necessity to build for looks, and function always push me to get just a little bit more out of each. It pushes me to be more creative in how I build. And that, overall will make me a much, much better ship systems designer, and a better hull designer. To me, divorcing one aspect of building from the other would be like taking bread away from a sandwich, or taking the insides away from the bread.

Reactions: Lukwan and Olxinos

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    What's the point otherwise? If I just wanted any effective ship, I could play one of many games such as Elite: Dangerous, and make my way to the best ship.

But I don't just want A effective ship, I want my effective ship. I want to be able to look at a really cool and effective ship, and say "I made that".

(not that I have made any ships that are cool or effective, much less both.)

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    Well, i like to fly pretty things. But goong overboard on pretty is bad, but if i make something that I dont like the looks of, i wont ever use it
    [DOUBLEPOST=1466372434,1466372238][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Agreed. Lecic , pls dont drive him to start posting anime images as replys to your posts again.
    He might just be asking for advice in a roundabout way

Reaction score
    For me I just build stuff that I think looks good for my own artistic satisfaction :) Is it necessary? Maybe not, but that artistic crave of mine exists, so I try to satisfy it :P

Reaction score
    Hmmmm.... Recently I've had a thought about a shipyard thread where people post images of certain shapes (As in, used less than 20 blocks, not a whole ship. Just a shape that could be used to fill a space where someone's run out of ideas) to use in builds. A sort of repository of ideas, to help people along.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Personally I've always felt like looks and functionality were equally important when building Starmade ships. Obviously a ship that can't do what you need it to do is a pretty big deal breaker, but also detailing adds personality to a ship and can give it a unique identity that makes me more excited to pilot it and provides a more enjoyable experience. Also I feel like since (most) video games must rely on only sight and sound there is an increased pressure on those two senses to satisfy us.

Reactions: NeonSturm
    Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    Because then your fleet will look like garbage and you're gonna get bored of the game because you realize you're piloting a flying trash can.