Recognized Personal Lock Block

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    We need a block that locks the ship/station/planet to a certain player for purposes of core usage and editing. This should work just like a faction block in use. Just place it, enter your self as the owner and then you control the object. Someone has to find and kill the block to break the lock. It would also need to work with faction blocks so that if a faction block is set only players of that faction can add a personal lock to the object. If a personal block is set only that players faction can be entered in the faction block. And lastly is both are set on an object both must be checked before an objects core can be used or it can be edited.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    IMO, this should be ship-only. Having a protected station or planet segment should require a faction.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    It could have great uses for faction leaders by preventing people from griefing faction bases, and allow leaders to assign faction bases to certain individuals. Also there would be no difference between a one man faction setting a non-home planet or station with a faction block. You would have the same problem of finding and breaking the block.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    I'm bumping this because I would really like to see this in a upcoming version. Its something I think would really make factions more functional on greif heavy/pure pvp servers.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Necroed again. This is simple and needed even if its only a config option. This is self explanatory. More views please.
    I'm bumping this because I would really like to see this in a upcoming version. Its something I think would really make factions more functional on greif heavy/pure pvp servers.
    Build and RP servers too would benefit from this. Everyone, in fact, would.

Last edited:

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Necroed again. This is simple and needed even if its only a config option. This is self explanatory. More views please.

Build and RP servers too would benefit from this. Everyone, in fact, would.
    I thought you could put faction permissions on cores now? Restricting the rank? Generally speaking if you are a member of a faction and cant trust your allies, I would suggest finding a new faction.

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    I thought you could put faction permissions on cores now? Restricting the rank? Generally speaking if you are a member of a faction and cant trust your allies, I would suggest finding a new faction.
    Problem is, the restriction tools we currently have on factions only forbids a player to enter in the core block / build block. But storages and doors are still accessible.

I would like to see this feature because of the possibility of "personal lockers" when each member of the faction could have his own private storage.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Its not an issue of trusting your faction mates. I happen to be an admin who doesn't even own a single ship, so it does nit even effect me. What about people who want to be independent? It is needful and entirely independently so of any other issue. There is literally no reason that this is not already done but choice, and whoever so chose is wrong when it comes to servers, griefing, community, and ownership issues.

You can currently use the faction block to restrict ship core access by rank. That itself is very useful, but again, is an entirely separate function and issue.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    I was under the impression that factions were suppose to share and distribute resources (which includes ships). I can see why it would be an issue on your server Lidren, since you disallow 1 man factions ad the like, but people who come to RP should also respect the implied rules set by their faction as part of the RP, and thus not touch ships not 'belonging' to them.
    On other servers, they could always try going solo or making a sub-faction and allying their main faction and other allies by extension.

The problem with upright locking people out of a ship is if you go inactive while that ship is docked to the base, they can't move it. I used to try and manage docking for VT and that involved a lot of moving smaller ships into correctly sized hangers and out of the warship parking, all of which were personal ships brought to the faction by various members. While you can always ping ships into space with external docks, that doesn't work with internal ones, so just removing the docking module also isn't a sure fix.

Honestly, the best you could do is restrict all ships to rank 3 and up, and prevent rank 4s from ever using said ships until they prove trustworthy.

Reaction score
    Bench is on a role with the communication! I can see Cyber's point, maybe make it like the shop block and have a list of who can access said ship. That would help with clean up since only certain people can move it (those deemed trustworthy.) Hopefully that is apart of the overhauls!

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    maybe make it like the shop block and have a list of who can access said ship
    The problem with that is limited faction titling and ranks. Anyone could claim to be a dock master when the Top brasses are offline, and some people aren't very trusting. If we got more Ranks and maybe an option for customized titles it could work like that.

Reaction score
    here's an idea how to do it -

add a new activation block that requires the user to activate it with a key that matches the 64 character string.

Reaction score
    True, I like the idea of having more ranks as well, unlimited ranks would help organize things in game a lot better than now.

Reaction score
    I have seen this suggestion once before, can´t find the Thread this moment but I think we all agreed, in the other Thread, that there is a simple way to get protection. I think its already in dev that permission blocks get more options.

Edit:
    found it here

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    i think this topic was discussed before, the need of a permissions block/updated faction block permissions is needed, well, a block that does the opposite of an already implemented "Public Block" wich makes blocks next to it only usable by a selected user.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I like the idea of having a personal block for people without a faction or in losely connected factions. But it would also help major factions a lot too. Let's say that Bob the L2 has got himself a blueprint, filled it up, and spawned himself his faction's best cruiser. Of course, he doesn't want everyone in the faction to be using his ship. But he's only rank 2; rank restriction just prevents him from using his ship. Alternatively, one could personally lock the ship to this Bob, and faction restrict it to L4. Then, Bob can fly his ship around; and if the leadership needs to move ships around, they can; but the other L2's need to go build their own ships.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I wonder if I'm the only one thinking of a hotel. Imagine renting a room, and when you pay, you are automatically assigned to the permission block that controls all aspects of that room (all controls, storage blocks, lights, doors, medical cabinets, room-specific logic, etc.), effectively giving you the key to that room.

I'm also thinking there needs to be a second, "backup" permission entry for the block. This will be the base administrator, faction leader, ship captain, maybe the security officer, who should have access to things that the individuals under his command have "sole" access to. So if Yeoman Smith starts acting suspicious, the captain can look in Smith's locker for the missing items or the sabotage equipment, or the secret spy plans, etc.... Naturally, for a one-man faction, Smith would be both the primary and backup permission entries.