Persistent Industries

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Incap is right you can go overboard with details and their is a specific balance that has to be acheived for the ship to look detailed but not cluttered. I think that you have done a good goob balancing your detailing in a way that while you do have a lot of detailing it doesn't look cluttered. Honestly it all comes down to a matter of opinion; some people like ships wiht lots of detailing everywhere (like me), and some people like less details and cleaner lines.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    I honestly don't know where you're trying to go with this. You might have not read previous posts but small detail is a hard thing for me and it's also not what I'm aiming for. The design of the stuctures/detail is something I put a lot of work in, so you calling them "poor" is almost in some way hurtfull. Yet you're very vague about it all, so I'm not even sure if this even counts a feedback.

Sensory overload? I would call it more a sensory stimulus. It's a ship that's build to draw your eyes all over the place. Each structure holds it's purpose for afar and when you look at it closely. It's not like some crystals placed in rows that look like rooms when you're far away but become meaningless when you take a closer look.

Your post starts pretty rude, then seems like it's about to give some actual feedback, but then just continues the first but even vaguer. And that in only 2 ish lines of text. The whole is just as empty as it is vague, you might aswell just have wrote "I don't like the ship".
    You don't get where I'm going with this?

Too. Much. Detail.

I don't care if it's not what you're aiming for, or 'small' detail is hard for you. The placement and structure is poor. There's no sense, nor direction behind it, it literally looks like a mish-mash of flashy details that have been slammed onto a flat structure and were just named that because it suited you. So yeah, it is poorly put together, and if you think you can appeal to a sense of kindness after I passed on some honest criticism, then you'd be wrong. I couldn't care any less that you find it 'hurtful.'

You can call it whatever you like, doesn't make it any less overbearing. And if it draws your eyes all over the place then no one can discern the overall structure. Too much detail just makes it look gaudy, tacky, overwhelming, cluttered and just plain messy. I mean, look at those engines. Way too much going on there, nothing looks like it does anything, and everything just looks like you let yourself go with the detailing and it just looks like a tacky mess that looks to serve no purpose. If you didn't call them engines, no one would have figured out what there were. Details on the side of the hull serve no purpose than to just look nice, or because you don't seem to know when to stop placing blocks. In the world of detail, less is more. And that doesn't mean make a plain box. It means too much detail, too much going on at once is ugly.

It is an ugly looking ship.

Which is a damn shame, because you're clearly skilled at laying those blocks. You just need some moderation.

In the future, ask if feedback is not clear. Ask them to elaborate. Don't put your back up against the wall and get defensive. I am not the kind of person to mince their words or pull their punches, so don't tell me my critique is hurtful, because my usual response will be to tell you to man up.

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    @Incap

Until I noticed your name in the alerts drop down I though you were some new person trolling around :P XD

How come my changing avatar cant trick people? :( XD

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I have a few suggestions to give you to build on what @Incap is saying.
    1. The engines that Incap is talking about (I think that he is refering to the thrusters on the sides): angle them outwards 45 degrees to seperate them from the main ship; maneuvering thrusters arn't going to do you much good if they are just adding more thrust in the same direction as your main thrusters.
    2. Seperate sections of your ship that are meant to (look like they) do different things. I would suggest breaking your hull into plates around the different sections with a indented white line underneath; so you get the same effect as negative space but with white in the space instead of black. This will give the impression of having seperate systems doing different things as opposed to one giant system doing everything.
    3. Make your decoritive systems stand out: If you decide to do number two in this list on a hull plate that has a system on it; eg. lets say your fuel refinery is on one plate. On that plate only put details that you want to appear as connected to the fuel refinery. Any details that are part of the fuel refinery connect them with pipes, raise them up, anything you can do that will make them stand out from just being "clutter". Then on any hull plates that don't have systems on them, put any extra details that you want but make sure they don't stand out to much; these extra details shouldn't stand out on the ship, they should just give the ship texture.
    4. Use lines effectivly: Shape the hull plates so that their edges point to a few main details that you would like to stand out. If you have edges that 'flow' someone who is looking at your ship will find their eyes following the lines to where they seem to point. Use this to draw someone's eyes to your bigger details that you want to stand out.
    5. Use empty space: your ship doesn't need to be 100% covered in detail. Empty space will prevent your details from looking cluttered and thrown together. A good example of this is on nuclear fun's ships; if you look at his ships you will notice that he uses solid black plates with no detailing on them and then puts detailing between them and a few layers beneath them to give the ships depth.
    6. Use different colors: this ties in with number five. Break up the black and green with another color. Use some plain grey panels to give the hull texture and depth without making making it look messy.

Hope this helps :)
    I'll add anything else I can think of later.

Reactions: Unnamed25

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I honestly don't know where you're trying to go with this. You might have not read previous posts but small detail is a hard thing for me and it's also not what I'm aiming for. The design of the stuctures/detail is something I put a lot of work in, so you calling them "poor" is almost in some way hurtfull. Yet you're very vague about it all, so I'm not even sure if this even counts a feedback.

Sensory overload? I would call it more a sensory stimulus. It's a ship that's build to draw your eyes all over the place. Each structure holds it's purpose for afar and when you look at it closely. It's not like some crystals placed in rows that look like rooms when you're far away but become meaningless when you take a closer look.

Your post starts pretty rude, then seems like it's about to give some actual feedback, but then just continues the first but even vaguer. And that in only 2 ish lines of text. The whole is just as empty as it is vague, you might aswell just have wrote "I don't like the ship".

Needs more sunglasses

EDIT I'm gonna make this my avatar :p

Last edited:

Reilly Reese

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    To bad gifs don't work for avatars.

Reilly Reese

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    LOL True my sig makes it pretty obvious.

Reaction score
    Well I finally found a few free hours to play a bit of starmade.

@Creeper__God Fair enough on the nr 1. So I just ripped them off the side of the ship and made them look like they could move.

Manoeuvrability Thrusters:

Still might change them a bit, no sure yet. But anyway once they are back on the ship it should look like they could turn 90° up and down vertical.

Also removed the old remaining bits of the old back and started working on connecting the engines to the rest.

Reaction score
    Well haven't been able to play this game for more then a month now, but finally found some spare time. I also remembered what the second reason was why the ship ended on the graveyard. Altering the shape was just more work then building a brand new ship/frame.

So spend a few hours of putting together some premade parts I had laying around, that never really got used for anything, and this is the result so far.

Reaction score
    well, just one question, why havent you use these parts cause it looks go together

Reaction score
    well, just one question, why havent you use these parts cause it looks go together
    Well they are a bit modified to fit ofc. Added some extra space here, adjusted the slope or removed it completely, ... I have build loads of smaller things during my time playing this game. Some concepts I was trying out, some things I forgot why I build it, some parts that never got used, ...

This front wing section comes pretty close to the original part.

Then I added the newer version of the battlecontainers I made last time I played. But as you see I had to even the surfare on the bottom of the wing. Each container holds 18 21lx9hx5w drones or 6 fighters.

And a bit later this out of it all.

As for the engines

Reactions: Rumcajz
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Well haven't been able to play this game for more then a month now, but finally found some spare time. I also remembered what the second reason was why the ship ended on the graveyard. Altering the shape was just more work then building a brand new ship/frame.

So spend a few hours of putting together some premade parts I had laying around, that never really got used for anything, and this is the result so far.

Welcome back :)
    That ship looks incredible so far

Reaction score
    Well the past few 4 month have been busy, but now I got 3 weeks free and nothing to do. So I finished the frame for my new ship today, I'm kinda happy how it's looking. Tell me what you guys think.

Also have been working a bit already on the engines.

Still working on a bridge that fits the shape of the ship, but that's a work in progres.

Reactions: Rumcajz and Top 4ce