Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Good day, my fellow Starmadians,

I was bored in school the other day, and came up with a general design philosophy, one that binds good looks, simplicity and utility with raw brute firepower. I had finished the first ship in the series, a 260x140-ish cruiser, but it got destroyed/deleted when I switched from desktop installation to Steam... (RIP SS Iris).
    But....
    there is good news also! I have started working on a yet-to-be-named 590x380-ish Battleship. Here are some pics of the progress and designs made in school so far: (no systems whatsoever, only the almost finished outer shell and armor plates)

Bottom

There is also a 600x480-ish carrier and an attempt to retrieve the cruiser coming.

I need a little help designing the bridge and engine nacelles, if anyone would like to give some advice/help, it would be greatly appreciated, as I'm not a master builder like some of you:D

I'll keep you posted on the progress

(ps name suggestions are welcome too:))

-UPDATE I-
    Good news everybody! After some digging in old files, I found the outdated,dusty old SS Iris Cruiser!
    pics:
    Clearly visible that she and the battleship are bro and sis:)
    nothing too fancy

-UPDATE II-
    Did some of the requested panelling redesigning, along with some more lights. I really like how it looks now. Itmauve, did you mean this?
    with lights

without lights

don't know what to do with the side gaps, however

-UPDATE III-
    I started working on the upper engine nacelles, bridge, front weapon ports and turrets placement

the spots where turrets should come are highlighted, red=anti-missile, green=beam, white=missile, blue=cannon, and one big turret on the front, will be beam+cannon+ion

close-up, again green=beam, blue=cannon, red=missile

as you can probably see, I've switched to the 'realistic' texture pack

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    It's good. You may want to consider dividing up th armor plates a bit more with gaps (I'm trying to think of where to find a picture of what I'm talking about)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    It's good. You may want to consider dividing up th armor plates a bit more with gaps (I'm trying to think of where to find a picture of what I'm talking about)
    You mean something like this or NuclearFun-style?

(CRS Jana, credits to Rumcajz, Bohemian Builders)

I'll try it, I like this ship

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    I like it! Reminds me of the colony ships from freelancer. Did you take inspiration from them?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Thanks! And sorry, but no, I've never heard of Freelancer before now... but yeah, they kinda look alike. (only this is a destructive warship, not a colony)
    [DOUBLEPOST=1423597860,1423595770][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Now that they're fixed, those are nice drawings!(I'm ignoring the screenshots in this statement)
    Thank you, but what do you mean by ignoring? You don't like the ship:(? feedback would be nice (no hard feelings)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Yeah, that kind of paneling is what I was talking about.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Thank you, but what do you mean by ignoring? You don't like the ship:(? feedback would be nice (no hard feelings)
    It may or may not be insulting to call a screenshot a "nice drawing". Usually a 2D image is easier to create than the ship itself.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    It may or may not be insulting to call a screenshot a "nice drawing". Usually a 2D image is easier to create than the ship itself.
    ?? Can I conclude from this obviously sarcastic/cynical comment that you do not like how my ship looks? If so, could you state why so and how one could change the physical appearance to suit your needs/wishes?

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    ?? Can I conclude from this obviously sarcastic/cynical comment that you do not like how my ship looks? If so, could you state why so and how one could change the physical appearance to suit your needs/wishes?
    Wat? I never said that or intended that. Text is a really bad medium to convey weither or not one is serious or not.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Very unique designs! I like them, but they need some more detail imo to make them from good to great.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Very unique designs! I like them, but they need some more detail imo to make them from good to great.
    yep, that's why it's WIP, more detail wil be added later on
    [DOUBLEPOST=1423606976,1423606681][/DOUBLEPOST]I'm going to bed now (read: watch the last part of Inglorious Basterds) will post again tomorrow after school

Reactions: jzimmerman4
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Good initial ideas and shape. Ships look good for a base. I would like to see more detail and possibly bigger ships if you want it to be a powerful fleet. Overall good idea they look very functional good build looking forward to improvement/updates

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Thank you! I've included engine shots for the Iris in the 1st post, nothing fancy really
    bigger ships are surely coming, altough I think almost 600m is pretty big already

Reaction score
    -UPDATE II-
    Did some of the requested panelling redesigning, along with some more lights. I really like how it looks now. Itmauve, did you mean this?
    with lights

without lights

don't know what to do with the side gaps, however
    That armor with the lights looks really cool, gives it a very nice contrast. I would recommend to fill the black parts with fine greebling to enhance the illusion of depth and size (also it would give you a "darker" black with even more contrast)