Status
    Not open for further replies.

mrsinister

Xenophage
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    I am not going to put a poll on this, simply because I would like to hear (read) peoples opinions on the subject.

Personally for me, I would like a block of this nature. Since I have shuttles and transports, this would be better than having to put down a bunch of computer blocks for everyone to "sit" in.

If there is a way to custom make one, please someone let me know. I have made custom blocks before, I am just not sure which lines I would need to implement in order for the functionality to work.

Reactions: FireOfVoid
    Reaction score
    At the moment i am using build blocks for this purpos.
    From an astheticle point of view it would be nice though. It would be nice if the cockpit block would have this ability. (though it could get quiet annoying switching through all the "Seat"-cockpits to get to the one you actually want to use)

mrsinister

Xenophage
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    At the moment i am using build blocks for this purpos.
    From an astheticle point of view it would be nice though. It would be nice if the cockpit block would have this ability. (though it could get quiet annoying switching through all the "Seat"-cockpits to get to the one you actually want to use)
    yeah, I was going to start putting build blocks down as well, but....lol I dont know....wouldn't that give your passengers the ability to enter build mode and alter your ship? Either way I think a dedicated chair /or passenger block would be nice and where you actually see the person sitting on it and not just an occupied cube.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    yeah, I was going to start putting build blocks down as well, but....lol I dont know....wouldn't that give your passengers the ability to enter build mode and alter your ship? Either way I think a dedicated chair /or passenger block would be nice and where you actually see the person sitting on it and not just an occupied cube.
    They can already modify your ship on weapon computers.

Reaction score
    Yes and yes. It just seems illogical to have people stand around, this as far as I know wouldn't need that much coding either.

A lot of people before have suggested this, here's hoping the developers take notice...

Reactions: Blodge

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Top Forum Contributor
    the game is much better now with passengers in moving ships, as long as they are in gravity or aligned. they may see some twitching from server lag, but thats all. Just slap a grav block down, and allow them to ride like that :)

I do agree though, an actual, modeled chair would be nice, and provide us with many more options.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    A small touch, but an important one. Probably THE most important interior decoration block. A lot more areas would look so much better with actual chairs instead of wedges

mrsinister

Xenophage
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    A small touch, but an important one. Probably THE most important interior decoration block. A lot more areas would look so much better with actual chairs instead of wedges
    Yeah, I agree. :)

Reaction score
    Yeah, me too. I really hope a dev is taking note of this...

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    This has already been discussed pretty thoroughly in this thread:
    http://starmadedock.net/threads/chairs-n-viewscreens-and-stuff.75/

My personal idea was as follows:
    How about 3 types of "Chair"?
    Bunk
    When occupied, it places the Player in a supine position. Fixes the Player in place relative to a Ship/Station but still allows them to look around. Sets the current re-spawn point for the player (replaces the function of the Undeathinator).
    Chair
    When occupied, it places the Player in a seated position. Fixes the Player in place relative to a Ship/Station but still allows them to look around. Can be linked to the following blocks:
    Ship's Core - Allows remote control of the piloting functions of the Core (i.e. Flight Mode only) making it into a Pilot's Seat.*
    Weapons Computer - Allows remote control of the Weapons Computer, making it a Tactical Station.
    Turret Docking Module - Allows remote control of the Core of any Turret docked to the Docking Module, making it into a Gunner's Chair.
    Engineering Console
    When occupied, it places the Player in a standing position. Fixes the Player in place relative to a Ship/Station. Can be linked to a Ship's Core. Allows remote control of the construction functions of the Core (i.e. Build Mode only).*

*I'm thinking the Ship's Core should not be enterable directly
    while a linked Chair or Console is already occupied.

Reaction score
    This idea was probably inspired by the latest Space Engineers update, but I'm all for it.

It's a nice (mainly aesthetic) feature to have.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    This idea was probably inspired by the latest Space Engineers update, but I'm all for it.

It's a nice (mainly aesthetic) feature to have.
    Unless the Space Engineers update came back in April, then no. And if the idea was implemented they way I suggest, then it would be practical as well as aesthetic. Glad you're in favour of the idea though.

Reaction score
    Unless the Space Engineers update came back in April, then no. And if the idea was implemented they way I suggest, then it would be practical as well as aesthetic. Glad you're in favour of the idea though.
    I worded it wrongly, I meant that the OP might've been inspired by it since it was posted so shortly after the last SE update with seats.

mrsinister

Xenophage
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    I worded it wrongly, I meant that the OP might've been inspired by it since it was posted so shortly after the last SE update with seats.
    Space engineers, I do not like and will not support that game..(reason are my own, n remember not everyone is going to like the same thing, so no flames plz) And no, the idea never came from them...it's simple logic when creating a ship...lol or anything that requires "seats" or for you to "sit" in/on something.... ;)

Also, I have been trying to make a custom "chair" block for this since I heard we could add blocks. It was the functionality part of it that I was not sure about (back then) if I could cut n paste or add to behaviors or not...and obviously it was, no you couldn't..so I waited till now, new site ,possibly new members, newer code ,etc.

mrsinister

Xenophage
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    well, I do not want to change one block to another and blah blah. My suggestion is a bit different than that.

1 Passenger or Chair Block = passenger gets no build perms, can sit above or in the block, no weapon control.

that's it, plain and simple. ;)
    Uh, that's exactly what one of my chairs would do if it wasn't linked to anything.

(The name change was a separate issue; I only mentioned it first because so-called "cockpits" which are really just cameras will be replaced with seats, which would be the more proper main component of a built cockpit.)

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Yeah, the link option allows you to choose between granting control of another block, or simply having a chair to sit in. It's good to have choice :)
    You should probably take a quick look at the other thread, dude.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I really like this idea, but perhaps it could be somewhat of a chair in which you can see the player sitting in it? I would like to see a chair as a replacement of the ship core method of entry, while still requiring the ship core a ship might need a seat to sit in to pilot. IMO it makes more sense to instead have a chair to pilot from rather than a box... I'm not a contortionist :) Also, maybe you could link them up like you do logic blocks for example? Possibly adding chairs to individual computers if you have a crew... speaking of which maybe this could be integrated with the new A.I crew you can get.

Long story short, I am a full supporter of this suggestion, and would like to see it in game.

mrsinister

Xenophage
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    I really like this idea, but perhaps it could be somewhat of a chair in which you can see the player sitting in it? ---- Also, maybe you could link them up like you do logic blocks for example? Possibly adding chairs to individual computers if you have a crew... speaking of which maybe this could be integrated with the new A.I crew you can get.
    now these points are great. :) ,however I do not want the core replaced. I like the core being a core.

Status
    Not open for further replies.