Owning starsystems and a (linked, kinda) better universe map.

D

Deleted member 392097

I think that we should be able to somehow claim an entire sun and make all the planets and things orbiting it a homebase.

This could be achieved by... flying into a star (with a shields at at least 500 capacity and 500 recharge (I'm not too good with stats so feel free to criticise and change those stats) and... going into faction, then, clicking "set starsystem home" or "claim starsystem" (non-home), which costs you one faction module. Done.

We could also have an incredible galaxy map which shows lots of stars and stuff, and has colours depending on what kind of faction own that system etc. In a special mode of server, there ARE no homebases.

So, support?
    Maybe a better idea would be that you would have to 'colonies' every planet in that star system and say put a faction block on each planet.

Reaction score
    AFAIK untouchable bases are on the way out. I prefer that. I don't like the voodoo magic. I see the need for some kind of protection only because we are offline sometimes, but its more like a necessary evil. For the game to say "you cannot touch this asteroid in the middle of nowhere because it belongs to 'X'" breaks the realism. This type of proposed change goes opposite to where I think it should go, and also opposite to where I think it actually is going.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    For the game to say "you cannot touch this asteroid in the middle of nowhere because it belongs to 'X'" breaks the realism.
    Maybe have a trading guild's police ship or visitor which you shouldn't provoke...

You can not attack this station while it is under the Trade Pacts protection @{ "Galactic Law Enforcement" article "Trading Pact" paragraph "AFK_2014-09-30" }

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Maybe have a trading guild's police ship or visitor which you shouldn't provoke...

You can not attack this station while it is under the Trade Pacts protection @{ "Galactic Law Enforcement" article "Trading Pact" paragraph "AFK_2014-09-30" }
    Yeah, this might work. Not by making a station invincible, but by making it fairly easy to hire a powerful non-player ship specifically for defensive purposes (for a certain amount of credits every so often, and possibly with other guidelines as well.)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I agree, I think you need to make the consequence to attacking a base of someone offline quite steep. Hire a police protector to guard your home base only, and if someone does attack, they become an outlaw, and will have to serve some "jail" time and repay damages monetarily if they get caught. Until then, they can't use shops. But if the player is online, you can rightly declare war and attack his base with impunity so long as you adhere to the space version of the Geneva convention.

Players should also be allowed to "jump" into log out. You take whatever ship you're traveling in, wherever you are, and you jump into hyperspace. That jump can be semi-permanent while you log out. While you're in hyperspace, you're untouchable. This way, you can protect at least the ship you're in while you're offline.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I agree, I think you need to make the consequence to attacking a base of someone offline quite steep. Hire a police protector to guard your home base only, and if someone does attack, they become an outlaw, and will have to serve some "jail" time and repay damages monetarily if they get caught. Until then, they can't use shops. But if the player is online, you can rightly declare war and attack his base with impunity so long as you adhere to the space version of the Geneva convention.

Players should also be allowed to "jump" into log out. You take whatever ship you're traveling in, wherever you are, and you jump into hyperspace. That jump can be semi-permanent while you log out. While you're in hyperspace, you're untouchable. This way, you can protect at least the ship you're in while you're offline.
    ...Except then, what if the "outlaw" already has practically unlimited resources? Then they can do whatever the hell they want, the trading guild can't touch them, other players can't touch them, their base is probably practically invincible...

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    ...Except then, what if the "outlaw" already has practically unlimited resources? Then they can do whatever the hell they want, the trading guild can't touch them, other players can't touch them, their base is probably practically invincible...
    They should have invisible ships ramming your ship and exploding on it, ignoring at least partially the shield and completely destroying themselves (no loot for outlaws)

They should not care how much they lose themselves as long as they do damage to every outlaw's ship weighting more than 1000 or 10'000 mass until they killed the same amount of what the outlaw killed.

If IRL each person would kill just 1 other, we couldn't keep our current life standards - it would be too expensive in what we invested into schools and childhood.
    Thus <10% may kill 1 other person or <1% may be serial killers or our system would break almost instantly - even without accidental deaths.

If we apply the same knowledge to the humanoid NPCs species in StarMade (those who rely on the value of each individual), the whole population should be able to afford that many ships.

Act according to the rule : For the evil to exist it is only required the good to be idle​

They may try it with a bounty first though.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    The problem with bounty's, the money comes out of the good guy's pocket, and the bad guy just dies.... The bad guy can arrange to get paid by the guy who kills him afterward, so it may actually benefit the bad guy to get bounties. The bounty system should get changed to something along the lines of "capture player X and you'll get 10% of what he pays to Player Y for his freedom." Capturing players would require a whole new mechanic though, and something to track who does what crimes, etc. You couldn't just add a bounty randomly so they get captured and have to pay (like holding them hostage). They would actually have to trigger a crime mechanic, and the game would have to give you the option to prosecute. I think this is the only reasonable way to deal with trolls and griefers.

edit: or maybe not capture them, but do like GTA and they would get law enforcement ships continually sent at them whenever they are in range of a certain type of NPC station, the ships would hail them, and give them the option to pay, and if not they would attack. And they would send more and bigger ships in waves until the player finally pays what he owes to the player+what damage he did to the police vessels (but it would continue even after he dies). People who want this protection could try to stick to sectors occupied by these protection forces so any crimes against them would be recorded, but there would be large swaths of space with no such protection, havens for outlaws and pirates so to speak.[DOUBLEPOST=1412114860,1412114457][/DOUBLEPOST]ooh, and the more people in a given sector with protection forces, the more protection spawns, and the bigger their space station gets.

If there's a sector that pirates want that is relatively unoccupied except for an undiscovered protection force station, it would be abandoned at first and the player could opt to destroy it, or to activate the guards in the station.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    The problem with bounty's, the money comes out of the good guy's pocket, and the bad guy just dies....
    The bad guy can arrange to get paid by the guy who kills him afterward, so it may actually benefit the bad guy to get bounties.
    Then only give the killer the value of killed blocks and the value the enemy dropped on death.
    The bounty system should get changed to something along the lines of "capture player X and you'll get 10% of what he pays to Player Y for his freedom."
    if the victim gets only 10%, where is the point? I guess you mean
    1. Friend A gets a bounty of 1kk credits for killing 1kk credits in blocks from you
    2. Friend B traps him and ask for 1kk credit now get 900k credits and you only 100k
    3. Friend B can pay Friend A 900k credits back.
    4. => Bounty needs to be 10 times as high as damage
    edit: or maybe not capture them, but do like GTA and they would get law enforcement ships continually sent at them whenever they are in range of a certain type of NPC station, the ships would hail them, and give them the option to pay, and if not they would attack.
    Players may get a deep depth they can't pay back because they are continuously perused by police and can't fight the strong outer space pirates

I think the police should offer him a deal :
    Either he flies a ship worth very low (and UN-dangerous) value (except civilian things like salvage stuff) and pays everything above 100k credits in his pocket until he paid the depth or they capture his ship.​

Capturing players would require a whole new mechanic though, and something to track who does what crimes, etc. You couldn't just add a bounty randomly so they get captured and have to pay (like holding them hostage). They would actually have to trigger a crime mechanic, and the game would have to give you the option to prosecute. I think this is the only reasonable way to deal with trolls and griefers.
    Agree.
    But what about menu -> suicide?

They should have comparable many [stop, ion, emp], search a path through closed doors and free blocks (they try to blow up doors with hand guns first) from the player-cockpit (or core) outwards.
    Probably they should get equipment to either transport the player into jail or the ship should require a path from the core to outside the boundary box, counting doors as free.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I started a thread on this subject. Go check it out. I explain in detail and expand upon my idea.

Reaction score

Yeah as long as its something that you could possibly fight if you wanted to. The player can weigh if its worth the hassle. So you can easily keep out small fry, but if someone comes with a mega cruiser, he can just blow the protection away. Maybe he also gets hassled later with retaliatory strikes.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Yeah as long as its something that you could possibly fight if you wanted to. The player can weigh if its worth the hassle. So you can easily keep out small fry, but if someone comes with a mega cruiser, he can just blow the protection away. Maybe he also gets hassled later with retaliatory strikes.
    Maybe the maximum hassle he should get should be dependent on with which ship a player engaged a fight.
    A player should not pay more than 3 times the value of the ship with which he does the crime.​

Also stations should require minimal shielding.
    As an system-owner (or admin) of the star-system, you should be able to set some values:
    Required shield blocks to found a stations
    Required hull blocks to found a station
    ...​

You pay 1kk and about 3kk+ for some blocks for a station? you should spend >= 3% = 120k credits for shields at least (to defend vs sun-blasts, meteorites and some stray shots which miss their intended target if 2 peoples fight nearby).

When you place a station, everything you spent could spawn in the initial block which happens to be a plex-store.
    Stations which don't met their requirement could show different on the radar and are Free to Kill / not recognized as protect-able property.​

Above game me an idea : should each system / galaxy have a setting for preferred admins?
    (like for example those not playing in a faction at war with the owner faction or those in a neutral faction)

If the game would be able to re-construct a situation (based on a difference of backups and weapon hit logs, ...) admins could later administrate some fight if a participant (usually a troll) had a ship dis-obeying the RP rules for example.​