Owning starsystems and a (linked, kinda) better universe map.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I think that we should be able to somehow claim an entire sun and make all the planets and things orbiting it a homebase.

This could be achieved by... flying into a star (with a shields at at least 500 capacity and 500 recharge (I'm not too good with stats so feel free to criticise and change those stats) and... going into faction, then, clicking "set starsystem home" or "claim starsystem" (non-home), which costs you one faction module. Done.

We could also have an incredible galaxy map which shows lots of stars and stuff, and has colours depending on what kind of faction own that system etc. In a special mode of server, there ARE no homebases.

So, support?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Uh. Flying into a STAR? This doesn't end well. Also, very much abusable and overpowered, if everything has homebase protection.

Reaction score
    Uh. Flying into a STAR? This doesn't end well. Also, very much abusable and overpowered, if everything has homebase protection.
    K, maybe flying about the area or something, I just would love it.

so, elaborate the use of the word abusable?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    I think if one wishes to own a star system you'd need something to claim it with, so rather than entering a star you should have to build a station and have it attempt to claim the star system. If no one contests this then you may claim the system. In your "special mode" one would have to take out the claiming base to take over the star system, or build your own station then you could try to contest ownership.

Claiming a star system should require that the base can be easily located since you are marking out your territory. So in navigation the claiming station should be listed regardless of where in the system you are (even if its 100km away or something).

Not sure about making the entire system a home base though, no one can use that much space.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    K, maybe flying about the area or something, I just would love it.

so, elaborate the use of the word abusable?
    Abusable as in if everything in it becomes invulnerable (how homebases work), then every one-man faction would have a full star-system no one else can touch.

Reaction score
    Abusable as in if everything in it becomes invulnerable (how homebases work), then every one-man faction would have a full star-system no one else can touch.
    That's not abuse, that's the purpose. A big area that no one can touch, but on a server!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    That's not abuse, that's the purpose. A big area that no one can touch, but on a server!
    The problem is, on every server you've got 20 one-man factions per real faction, which means that's most of the systems on the server are now unusable to... basically everyone.

Reaction score
    The problem is, on every server you've got 20 one-man factions per real faction, which means that's most of the systems on the server are now unusable to... basically everyone.
    Well... JUMP DRIVES!

Yah, I sound mad, but you can get REALLY far out with those bad boys.

And then that leads to some stuff about higher chances of missing claimed systems etc...

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    That can easily be remedied by giving single players a way to stop random idiots from fucking around with their inactive ships and stations or destroying them, which we need anyway.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Even with jumpdrives, eventually people would have to go further and further to find a planet. Plus there's people like me who don't really like planets and prefer to have a station homebase. What am I suppose to do if all the nearby planets are owned and I want ores? Spend hours asteroid mining or jumpdriving?

As well, there is a upcoming faction point system, which would limit the size of your homebase to the size of your faction (active members and such). Would even allow for multiple homebases if you had wnough people.

But yeah, that's way too much space, even for a large faction. There would just be thousands of ships docked to random planets at best, and it would kill Pvp to a degree, because no one could fly around without being shot at by Invincible homebase turrets.
    I dont really see the point of this, aside from "I got space! Bragging rights!"

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I think the issue is that this system is too simplistic and has no balancing/maintenance factors whatsoever... If you claim a system, pirates (and random other NPC enemy factions, I guess) should try to attack you, and maybe you could even have to pay (say) 5 million credits every day out of a central shop or something to maintain your hold on the entire system. Plus, the advantage shouldn't be free invincibility for every station or planet in the system... Just a large armor buff or something to faction-claimed structures.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Do real peoples accept it if you claim territory in a city? maybe space on some-one's garden or roof?

Perheps these 1-man-faction claimed systems could encourage peoples to go into new galaxies or give us a reason to build gates (in unclaimed void sectors between stars which can't be protected).

With 2000 weapon range and >5000 sector radius getting shot by uber-turrets should not that much of a problem. Especially with the new 5-energy jammers.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Do real peoples accept it if you claim territory in a city? maybe space on some-one's garden or roof?
    Not unless you have the firepower to back up your claim. That's the main issue I have with this proposal. It's too easy to just hit the "claim" button. There needs to be some kind of resistance, and by resistance I mean a little more than Isanth-Zs.

Reaction score
    How about if a faction had to have at least n many stations of s size minimum in a system before they could claim the system.
    s and n are variables.
    s = 10,000 blocks and n = 5

This would add some challenge to claiming a system.

Also, the stations could not be the random abandoned stations found all over the place.

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    My version

You must have a home base station already in the system

You need a SECOND Starbase fitted with a "Territory Claim" Block

This block is then used to claim the system. It must not be destroyed or damaged within a two hour period. Once it finishes the starbase automatically gets a huge shield boost and the system is yours. Everything factioned in the system rather than being invulnerable becomes heavily boosted. This gives a defending faction a tactical but not over the top advantage. No one can home base anything in your system and you get a discount from shops as well.

What do you guys think?

Reactions: Megacrafter127

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I think you should be required to make outposts at positions : star {+ -} {6,6,6}
    == position%16 {+2, +14}
    == {{2,2,2} .. {14, 14, 14}}
    == You need to make a station in every of the 8 corners of this system. Only everything within that box is home-systemd​

We could have a station-link block which transfers huge amounts of shield or power between distant stationary entities in the same star system.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    To me the point of an untouchable base is to fix the fact that we do not actually sleep on our ships or a base, we humans go to bed, while our ships, illogically, are empty and unattended. IRL we would be on the ships and if attacked alarm bells would wake us up so we could shoot whoever is messing with us.

Its not to make huge swaths of space untoachable to anyone. You want some other area besides the little untoachable one, you have to go defend it with stuff like turrets and kamikaze drones. What magic is supposed to prevent me from mining some undefended asteroid located somewhere in your system?

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    To me the point of an untouchable base is to fix the fact that we do not actually sleep on our ships or a base, we humans go to bed, while our ships, illogically, are empty and unattended. IRL we would be on the ships and if attacked alarm bells would wake us up so we could shoot whoever is messing with us.

Its not to make huge swaths of space untoachable to anyone. You want some other area besides the little untoachable one, you have to go defend it with stuff like turrets and kamikaze drones. What magic is supposed to prevent me from mining some undefended asteroid located somewhere in your system?
    The problem are players which start 1 man factions and block whole area around spawn making newbies trapped in a 20 minutes large fragmented and resource-drained territory. How should they know where to fly and how to not fly into sniper turrets?

This wouldn't be a problem if we wouldn't have at the same time the need to support players playing 4 hours a week and going on vacation from time to time when others want to PvP.

That wouldn't be a problem either - with a bigger player-base and more populated servers!!!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    If you want to claim a system, you should have the forces to do so. You don't just go to the center and click "mine" booting any other colony off any world in the system, that's retarded. You'd have to visit each and every world individually, claim it, and set up defenses (drones, shields, turrets) to defend them. That's already possible. What you're suggesting is straight up ridiculous. Us humans don't even have full control of the Solar system. Any old alien could rightly inhabit any world we don't have an active base on right now.