Overdrive power costs vs effects. and other effect buff and nerf requests

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Overdrive for engines. the power cost is not that bad. a little high but controllable and easy to deal with. however it does not afffect your ship that much. like your ship needs to be 30 or 40% overdrive blocks to get 100% wich is alot for only double the speed of your ship.
    it would be nice to see the % of your ship needing to be od blocks down to 20 or 15%

Overdrive for weapons. this is where the power cost gets ridiculous for a 4 block overdrive and 4 blocks of beam from the primary and another 4 for the secondary that does 540 dmg per tick about 3000 in total when it finishes firing which honestley is not that much damage. but heres the kick that 3000 dmg costs 40k power.. 40K! wich is a shittton a dual beam does 100k FOR ONly 6k dmg this is ridiculius. *od weapon combonations power costs for damage are pretty much the same all across the board except when it comes to damage pulse secondary for weapons* i ask that the power costs be turned down a little due to the currnt uselessness of it

explosive effect for weapons. explosive effect is curretley useles for the most part except on small ships i ask that the radius for it be increased the more % of it you have compared to your weapons. like being able to go over 50% and then it increase the explosive radius and when you go higher and higher the radius goes bigger and even the ability to go over 100% to really increse the radius. power cost is currentley fine though if you make the suggested change i would ask that you increse the power cost to balance it.

New effect. Flack *only for cannons and missles*. works alot like the explosive effect request except that it would explode if it nears a ship or missle say 15 meters... when it nears the ship or missle it causes the projectile to explode and send 50 some projectiles in every direction with a radi ofr 25 meters splitting the damage the main projectile would normaly have. if it all possible. if that is not possible i submit another way it "may" be able to be done when it hits a ship it causes a small explosion size depending on the weapons damage and effect percentage. when it explodes on on the ship it also causes a bunch of cannons shots to come out of it in a spherical shape that have a sort of puch through effect that has a maximum distance of 7 blocks. if even thats not possible. i ask that you add it in a way that just works for cannons where when the shot hits a ship it "breaks apart" and sends a bunch of little projectiles through the inside of the ship with a maximum 10 blocks destroyed per each shot like the punch through.

Punch through nerf. Punch through is kind of insane righe now where it's easy to make a machine gun that can easilly cut entire ships in half destroying their power storage and creation aswell as their weapons and jus twreaking overall havock. please nerf it somehow just dont kill it entireley. strange request though i ask that you make the radius of the hole it punches through a ship wide as the projectile size increases

I Dont really use any other effects that often if you have any other suggested changes post them in the comments.

Reactions: Mariux

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    I think Overdrive is bugged. Even without any single module, zero modules installed, you will still consume a ridiculous amount of power.
    That's right - just by having the computer linked, you will do the same damage, but consume a lot of additional power.

For it's uses on passive move (additional top speed), Overdrive must drop the percentage for getting 100% effect from 10%/ship to 8%~5%/ship, ranging to 15%/ship the more mass the vessel possess. Fighters MUST have overdrive now a days to be able to dodge anything and to outrun missiles, because currently, just a [Missile+Missile] combo salvo mean GG for the fighter pilot, since he can't outrun it - the missiles will get him.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Overdrive for engines. the power cost is not that bad. a little high but controllable and easy to deal with. however it does not afffect your ship that much. like your ship needs to be 30 or 40% overdrive blocks to get 100% wich is alot for only double the speed of your ship.
    it would be nice to see the % of your ship needing to be od blocks down to 20 or 15%
    First off, it only needs to be 10% of your ship.

Secondly, I think all effect systems should be half of what they currently are in terms of block % needed.

explosive effect for weapons. explosive effect is curretley useles for the most part except on small ships i ask that the radius for it be increased the more % of it you have compared to your weapons. like being able to go over 50% and then it increase the explosive radius and when you go higher and higher the radius goes bigger and even the ability to go over 100% to really increse the radius. power cost is currentley fine though if you make the suggested change i would ask that you increse the power cost to balance it.
    Different effects are more effective at different size ranges. Use missiles.

New effect. Flack *only for cannons and missles*. works alot like the explosive effect request except that it would explode if it nears a ship or missle say 15 meters... when it nears the ship or missle it causes the projectile to explode and send 50 some projectiles in every direction with a radi ofr 25 meters splitting the damage the main projectile would normaly have. if it all possible. if that is not possible i submit another way it "may" be able to be done when it hits a ship it causes a small explosion size depending on the weapons damage and effect percentage. when it explodes on on the ship it also causes a bunch of cannons shots to come out of it in a spherical shape that have a sort of puch through effect that has a maximum distance of 7 blocks. if even thats not possible. i ask that you add it in a way that just works for cannons where when the shot hits a ship it "breaks apart" and sends a bunch of little projectiles through the inside of the ship with a maximum 10 blocks destroyed per each shot like the punch through.
    A flak cannon weapon type is planned as the Cannon : Minelayer combo. Minelayers are currently a WIP and not in the game yet.

Punch through nerf. Punch through is kind of insane righe now where it's easy to make a machine gun that can easilly cut entire ships in half destroying their power storage and creation aswell as their weapons and jus twreaking overall havock. please nerf it somehow just dont kill it entireley. strange request though i ask that you make the radius of the hole it punches through a ship wide as the projectile size increases

I Dont really use any other effects that often if you have any other suggested changes post them in the comments.
    Punch through currently has a bug where it doesn't do Order of Operations correctly with armor ratings. A block of hardened hull effectively has 400 HP with 200 HP and 50% armor, which goes all the way up to 1000 HP with 100% passive punch effect. However, a shot from a punch cannon will only deal 200 damage less to the next block instead of 1000 damage less.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Pretty sure the design thoughts for Overdrive was for helping out smaller turrets, not so you could stuff your ship weapons with them. If the power cost was nerfed any, as a weapons effect there would be no reason NOT to use them, except perhaps for punch-through (which is godly in itself).

Is there anyone that uses Pierce? It seems pretty useless. That a bunch of the other passive defensive effects which just take up valuable mass. Does anyone even use any of the passive effects besides Ion & Overdrive?

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Pretty sure the design thoughts for Overdrive was for helping out smaller turrets, not so you could stuff your ship weapons with them. If the power cost was nerfed any, as a weapons effect there would be no reason NOT to use them, except perhaps for punch-through (which is godly in itself).
    But currently, there is no reason for using overdrive. Not even for the small turrets, since the same damage gain could be true by just adding the same number that some would put the overdrive for more weapon modules.

Reaction score
    Overdrive is pure shit, the maths must be bugged out or something.

I LOVE your flak idea, I really want that in. Would make for some fun tactics!

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    But currently, there is no reason for using overdrive. Not even for the small turrets, since the same damage gain could be true by just adding the same number that some would put the overdrive for more weapon modules.
    Overdrive gives 3x damage for 6x power use. I'm pretty sure you get more out of overdrive than you do with just normal blocks.

Last edited:

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I agree, except the one with explosive. I think it's quite well balanced as it is.

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Overdrive gives 3x damage for 6x power use. I'm pretty sure you get more out of overdrive than you do with just normal blocks.
    I'm going to test the values (vanilla) right now, for a small turret and post the numbers here.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I'm going to test the values (vanilla) right now, for a small turret and post the numbers here.
    Make sure you actually test the weapon on something. Numbers in the menu aren't always accurate.

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    You were right about the damage, but it is still not worth using it.
    I've used the shields of a ship, no ion effect on it. Twin barrels

40/40/0 - Original cannon+cannon

40 dmg per shot (20+20) ( 4400 e/sec )

---------------------------------------------

40/40/10 - cannon+cannon+overdrive

66 dmg per shot (33+33) ( 29700 e/sec )

----------------------------------------------

45/45/0 - cannon+cannon

45 dmg per shot (23+22) ( 5060 e/sec )

While it is increases the damage of the small turret, it gives an increase of power consumption so great that it's better not even using it. Capital ships generally suffer with energy requirements, and then it is prefered to make turrets auto-sufficient.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Your testing strategy is faulty. OD used as an effect will always take the full penalty charge. You need to go with a 1:x:1 ratio.

60 cannon + 60 cannon = 60 damage a hit [120 total blocks]

40 cannon + 40 cannon + 40 OD = 180 damage a hit [120 total blocks]

These have the same fire rate since cannons are 1:1 of course.

On smaller turrets that isn't really that huge of a power drain since turrets take energy from the mothership they are docked to.