Open Beta of New Launcher

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Hi everyone. good to hear about the new launcher.

I tried to use it but sadly it didn't work, it only started a processus in background for a few second before disapearing.

Reaction score
    ok, so apparently my registry account wasnt linked to my steam account and when i tried to login with the new launcher id hit "login" then the window would disappear and nothing would happen. i then linked my registry to my steam account and now it works.

Reaction score
    does right click in steam only work for the bought version? my right click has properties but not options xD

eh ill just download it from the link

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    >teasing intensifies
    Wasn't teasing. I think I saw something I wasn't supposed to so I'm not going to say anymore about what I saw. Just know that if we have an AI update coming, it's going to be awesome.

No, I was not using the dev build, the beta launcher was set to use newest release. I think it's already in the game, just incomplete or waiting on another thing to be finished for implementation. And sorry, not putting in a bug report on something I can't duplicate. Trust me I tried.

Accidentally hit post before I was ready, lol.

Last edited:

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    How can I run multiple launchers (instances) for multiple different installs. A convenience I'm used to for video production and quick and simple startup of a sandbox to export/import blueprints.

Video production I can run 2 or 3 sessions and a server on my desktop no issue. Then I can have one session recorded and the other two to manipulate entities in the view.

The import/export is a convenience. I have multiple installs for different projects. I often build clean installs when updates with major changes come out also.

Reaction score
    Awesome, can't wait to try the new launcher. Hope my stuff doesn't crash. Haha.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    How can I run multiple launchers (instances) for multiple different installs. A convenience I'm used to for video production and quick and simple startup of a sandbox to export/import blueprints.

Video production I can run 2 or 3 sessions and a server on my desktop no issue. Then I can have one session recorded and the other two to manipulate entities in the view.

The import/export is a convenience. I have multiple installs for different projects. I often build clean installs when updates with major changes come out also.
    Easy, when you go to install through starmade's website (not steam) it will give you the option to change the install directory. If you can't run the installer twice to set a second directory, use steam for a second account as it will install in the default location. That will give you two at least. I haven't tried to run a second install with the standard launcher but will give it a try and edit my post to let you know if it works.

Edit: I changed my install directory, reinstalled it. Re-unzipped the launcher, put it into a new folder and started both at once. logged in on both games one as Zeke1 and one as Zeke2. I met myself in the game using only the beta launcher from the game website. The only problem I saw was that when I shut one down, it threw out an exception and crashed the second game with it. But yes, it's possible to run multiple instances.

There is a sprocket next to "build type" in the bottom left of launcher, that is where you can change the directory after first install. You will have to run all instances of the launcher simultaneously the launcher multiple times after pressing launch (I waited to actually start until all were at the final setup window), and will have to change the directory in each separately to point to respective installations each time you load multiple instances. When you close them all, the last one you changed will be the directory saved in every launcher no matter if you have them located in multiple places.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    For some reason the code doesnt work for me. Gonna try the manual download.

EDIT: I downloaded the launcher manually but i requires me to install the game, so im sorry but i dont have time to reinstall it now. Unless someone tells me what is wrong with my steam beta opt in i cant test it soon.

Last edited:

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Sweet new launcher! Are we going to be getting more news posts as the launcher updates, or will the launcher get its own news embedded in it because only people using the launcher really need to know (Unless the person is waiting to use the new launcher until it's more stable)?

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Easy, when you go to install through starmade's website (not steam) it will give you the option to change the install directory. If you can't run the installer twice to set a second directory, use steam for a second account as it will install in the default location. That will give you two at least. I haven't tried to run a second install with the standard launcher but will give it a try and edit my post to let you know if it works.

Edit: I changed my install directory, reinstalled it. Re-unzipped the launcher, put it into a new folder and started both at once. logged in on both games one as Zeke1 and one as Zeke2. I met myself in the game using only the beta launcher from the game website. The only problem I saw was that when I shut one down, it threw out an exception and crashed the second game with it. But yes, it's possible to run multiple instances.

There is a sprocket next to "build type" in the bottom left of launcher, that is where you can change the directory after first install. You will have to run all instances of the launcher simultaneously the launcher multiple times after pressing launch (I waited to actually start until all were at the final setup window), and will have to change the directory in each separately to point to respective installations each time you load multiple instances. When you close them all, the last one you changed will be the directory saved in every launcher no matter if you have them located in multiple places.
    You're awesome! Thanks for figuring that out. :)
    I'll give it a try.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    The new launcher looks great, but when I click "Launch" it starts the old Launcher, not the "Connection Setup" window. Is that supposed to happen?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, but every time I try to open the "stamade-launcher" in the folder, i get the message:

The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher.
    I run 32-bit Windows Vista. Is it an only 64-bit download? I didn't see any different options for the Windows download, only the one. Was my download broken or somethingg..? orr...?

Pliz Help :(

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3

heres a way to get yourself multiple open sessions, first create as many separate accounts as you need for your sessions -1 for the account your on, then, download starmade into each of those accounts, then put the starmade icon into a folder you mark as a library or just put the starmade folder into your downloads folder. Then in your main account, you can then go in thru your files assuming this is windows, go thru your files, go into computer\useers\any accounts you created\desktop(or downloads, or what ever folder you set as a library)\starmade
    then create a shortcut from each of those starmades in the other accounts into like your desktop, then when you open them, you get a different build, you can manage them from the main account, and you can just leave the other accounts alone, and Voila you get yourself a video session, and if you do this, you can update your main starmade, while you leave the other accounts at a different build

Reaction score
    Well as it stands I am unable to access the beta's option in steam. :(
    - I'll try to manual install later -- Now.

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    heres a way to get yourself multiple open sessions, first create as many separate accounts as you need for your sessions -1 for the account your on, then, download starmade into each of those accounts, then put the starmade icon into a folder you mark as a library or just put the starmade folder into your downloads folder. Then in your main account, you can then go in thru your files assuming this is windows, go thru your files, go into computer\useers\any accounts you created\desktop(or downloads, or what ever folder you set as a library)\starmade
    then create a shortcut from each of those starmades in the other accounts into like your desktop, then when you open them, you get a different build, you can manage them from the main account, and you can just leave the other accounts alone, and Voila you get yourself a video session, and if you do this, you can update your main starmade, while you leave the other accounts at a different build
    Great idea. That could be handy for a lot of software/games. :)

The dev team responded to a query I made and said that they could write into the launcher a command line option to allow multiple install folders to handle the different installs. That way all you need is a custom shortcut with the appropriate folder reference.

The one thing I forgot to ask is the multiple sessions running simultaneously. It would be handy if you could include the login account with the command line, ultimately simplifying the whole process. :)
    [DOUBLEPOST=1454034806,1454034519][/DOUBLEPOST]Wait a minute. Shouldn't I be able to just spawn multiple instances anyway by calling the jar file with command line options? Not requiring the Launcher at all?

Reaction score
    I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, but every time I try to open the "stamade-launcher" in the folder, i get the message:

I run 32-bit Windows Vista. Is it an only 64-bit download? I didn't see any different options for the Windows download, only the one. Was my download broken or somethingg..? orr...?

Pliz Help :(
    Here's a link to a 32-bit linked version: http://sm-launcher-test.s3.amazonaws.com/jobs/Launcher/97/starmade-launcher-win32-ia32.zip

I am curious, why are you running 32-bit anything these days, and on top of that VISTA?!?
    [DOUBLEPOST=1454040459,1454040322][/DOUBLEPOST]
    The new launcher looks great, but when I click "Launch" it starts the old Launcher, not the "Connection Setup" window. Is that supposed to happen?
    As per the instructions, you have to select "Launch with Beta Launcher" when you right click the game, and only after you opt-in to the beta.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    So, the launcher looks great, but opening it with Steam lead to a new installation of Starmade and I can't seem to find the directory it was installed to. Any ideas?