Open Beta of New Launcher

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I should have specified, I'm an idiot. Is it possibly to just copy pasta my previous installation directly into the beta launcher version?

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Why is it no longer defaulting to ./starmade/? Especially the steam version, changing the dir will break steam auto updating the game
    I believe launching it in Steam will auto direct to the correct steam directory.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    I've seen reports in chat of that not happening. Can't confirm for myself, I used the new launcher first time around, so my settings are probably all me-ish

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    I've seen reports in chat of that not happening. Can't confirm for myself, I used the new launcher first time around, so my settings are probably all me-ish
    If it isn't, that's something that will be fixed/added before full release.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Just manually change the install path to the old Steam install, then...

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Here's a link to a 32-bit linked version: http://sm-launcher-test.s3.amazonaws.com/jobs/Launcher/97/starmade-launcher-win32-ia32.zip

I am curious, why are you running 32-bit anything these days, and on top of that VISTA?!?
    [DOUBLEPOST=1454040459,1454040322][/DOUBLEPOST]
    As per the instructions, you have to select "Launch with Beta Launcher" when you right click the game, and only after you opt-in to the beta.
    I thought I followed the instructions, but I'll explain what I did in case I missed something.
    I successfully opted into the beta in Steam, then clicked "play," then I choose "Play with Beta Launcher." Steam started up the new launcher, but when I click Launch in the new launcher it starts the old launcher, and form there I can start a game. Did I do something wrong?

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    By "Old Launcher" do you mean the old patching window, or the Connection Manager? Because the Connection Manager has not yet been replaced. It will eventually be eliminated in favour of an ingame main menu, but at the moment that window will remain. The new launcher only replaces the old patching window thing.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I'm just going to wait until the new launcher stops breaking but I'll download it to an alternate install directory for testing. :)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Here's a link to a 32-bit linked version: http://sm-launcher-test.s3.amazonaws.com/jobs/Launcher/97/starmade-launcher-win32-ia32.zip

I am curious, why are you running 32-bit anything these days, and on top of that VISTA?!?
    [DOUBLEPOST=1454040459,1454040322][/DOUBLEPOST]
    As per the instructions, you have to select "Launch with Beta Launcher" when you right click the game, and only after you opt-in to the beta.
    The Beta launcher does not work for me either (crash on startup). However, that does not concern me near as much as your response: "I am curious, why are you running 32-bit anything these days, and on top of that VISTA?!?". Is it now the position of Schine that VISTA users (me) are not going to be equally supported in future updates? Also, what do you mean by "running 32-bit anything"? I have dozens up dozens of 32 bit programs and games that I'm currently using/playing, as I'm sure that millions of other Windows users around the world are also doing.

VISTA 64 (my OS) has been a reliable and good performer for me since I got it in 2009. I have 120+ games in my Steam library that run just fine with it. So, I really need to know if Schine is not going to support VISTA anymore. Because, if they are not, and since I have no plans of upgrading my current OS, then I need to stop investing any more time in Starmade.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    The Beta launcher does not work for me either (crash on startup). However, that does not concern me near as much as your response: "I am curious, why are you running 32-bit anything these days, and on top of that VISTA?!?". Is it now the position of Schine that VISTA users (me) are not going to be equally supported in future updates? Also, what do you mean by "running 32-bit anything"? I have dozens up dozens of 32 bit programs and games that I'm currently using/playing, as I'm sure that millions of other Windows users around the world are also doing.

VISTA 64 (my OS) has been a reliable and good performer for me since I got it in 2009. I have 120+ games in my Steam library that run just fine with it. So, I really need to know if Schine is not going to support VISTA anymore. Because, if they are not, and since I have no plans of upgrading my current OS, then I need to stop investing any more time in Starmade.
    Many of those programs are 32bit, because they don't need the additional memory, and 32bit is compatible with 32bit architectures and 64bit architectures. StarMade however is not one of those programs, as it usually needs to use more than 1Gb of memory to run in many circumstances. As such, if your OS is 64bit, it is generally recommended to use 64bit StarMade.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I believe launching it in Steam will auto direct to the correct steam directory.
    I can verify that on my install steam put it in the .StarMade folder in my appdata/roaming folder like minecraft. However, there is nothing in the .starmade folder. There is a second folder below called appdata/roaming/StarMade where the files were actually placed. The launcher from your website also placed them in the same place by default. I had to change directories on your website version so it wouldn't overwrite.