Read by Council Online

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Hi, since I bought the game I always wondered why is this game server based. In this kind of game you should have a big server for everybody to be in, I agree it's still in alpha and it won't be very useful for now since multiplayer features are in a pretty bad state but I hope it's planned.
    There's no interest in farming on a server to make a fleet, etc if there is only 15 players on the server or if the server can get closed at any moment.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    Many people want a big official server, however removing custom servers would be a bad idea because not everyone wants to play the same way as everyone else. The current configs and future mods open the game to too many possible play styles.

Heck, even Star Citizen has said they will have dedicated servers for those that want to mod the game

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    While I might like the idea of a single huge default server for us all to hop onto I'd like there to still be our own personal servers as well because it gives plenty of choices for where and how to play, also because not everyone can play on a server half a world away from them.

Reactions: jgames666
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I echo OP's sentiment exactly, which is why I've stayed off multi for a while now. I have lost many skyscrapers and stations over the last 2 years, that I spent many months working on each, to 'reputable' servers that shut down or server resets - leaving me feeling burned out about the game.

I get both side of the arguments and feel that in addition to having custom servers, Schine should eventually host official servers in each region of the world, akin to many MMOs. So players who prefer their hard work to last over custom servers can have somewhere to play on.

Reactions: jgames666
    Reaction score
    I see your point about not wanting to loose things like ships, bases, buildings, however you are aware that this game is in ALPHA and as such
    there is no guarantee that anything can be saved, ported, changed, or otherwise kept in whole or in part, however back to the discussion at hand, I think both options have relevance, and once the game comes further i think we will see these features be fleshed out, and made better, or maybe changed completely, but whining about it does nothing, suggest positive changes and show how to make them work for the good of the whole group and we can move forward...

Thx
    "I hate making long winded speeches"

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I like the idea that someone came up with, that all the severs could be linked and each galaxy or area is a different server with its own rules. I don't know if it is possible.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    I like the idea that someone came up with, that all the severs could be linked and each galaxy or area is a different server with its own rules. I don't know if it is possible.
    IIRC, this sort of thing was mentioned during the TwitchCon streaming. It is something that Schine would like to do, but no firm commitments have been made. Of course, they never commit until the update is out anyway. :p

Reaction score
    I live in australia, i dont want to have to be forced to play on an american server just to meet a decent playerbase.

Craftau in australia isnt to bad when it comes to a player base currently, but hopefully we will all see an influx of players when this game gets to beta or near release when a marketing team is hired.

Personally the council should be out there starting up the hype!

therimmer96

Reaction score
    Personally the council should be out there starting up the hype!
    The last thing this game needs right now is an influx of players. We've had 2 major events that bought new players, both of which didn't last because the game isn't ready yet.

Reaction score
    The last thing this game needs right now is an influx of players. We've had 2 major events that bought new players, both of which didn't last because the game isn't ready yet.
    If the game isnt ready, then what the hell are we all doing?

therimmer96

Reaction score
    If the game isnt ready, then what the hell are we all doing?
    Playing an alpha we all want to see progress into a real and full game with a large stable community. We're the testers, why do you think it's free still?

Reaction score
    Playing an alpha we all want to see progress into a real and full game with a large stable community. We're the testers, why do you think it's free still?
    Hence why spreading the word out there isnt bad, the more testers to break this game and come up with ideas the better, it might get us stuck off the wheel of need updated planets and requests for ammo...

Ive bought the game, so havent bothered with checking if its still free.

therimmer96

Reaction score
    Hence why spreading the word out there isnt bad, the more testers to break this game and come up with ideas the better, it might get us stuck off the wheel of need updated planets and requests for ammo...

Ive bought the game, so havent bothered with checking if its still free.
    More people will give the game a bad name at this stage. its much better to allow people to stumble across the game if they're interested in this kind of thing. You don't want people finding the game, and thinking its shit because its not done yet and never playing ever again.

Reaction score
    True, but as players burn out. Not many are coming in to replace them

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    One thing that'd be nice is if there was a way for a general player to save planet and asteroid things or stuff built on them. :) That'd help when it comes to bases. As for ships and stations if you lose them that's your own fault for not saving them to local every so often.

Reaction score
    I see your point about not wanting to loose things like ships, bases, buildings, however you are aware that this game is in ALPHA
    First of all, let's stop using this excuse. The game has been in "Alpha" for the better part of 4 YEARS now.

I think one server would benefit everyone in the consistency of lore and assets. We need some real political ties and universe events that add life to this community. With nearly 200 servers there is anything but, we're too spread out as a community thus creating a universal economy and politics are impossible beyond the means of flaming each others forum threads.

Reaction score
    Thanks for your imput but i disagree, the game is very much in alpha, it has many bugs / kinks to work out, and that is no
    hidden information, with each new update we get, new things are added, old things changed, its a game it happens, however to think that oe central server would be the endall thing for everyone is wrong, now i do see the allure of it, i do, however each person plays differently, some build massive ships and slug it out daily, others build slowly and don't pvp at all, and others still explore, and learn about game mechanics, and i don't think at this point this game in its current state could handle 200 servers all with lets just say 5 players on, so 5x200+the game data they generate, the ships, costumes they load, its not so simple now is it, no its a massive under taking to have a single universe server, I do again see the idea but for the time being, at this state, i don't see it happening soon, maybe someday, and that would be awsome when its ready...but not quite yet.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Running a powerful server is really expensive, and the devs aren't made out of money.

(That's my guess)

Reaction score
    also the game cant handle more than 10 players mining at the same time

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Running a powerful server is really expensive, and the devs aren't made out of money.

(That's my guess)
    I agree but compared to other games like star citizen, no man's sky or even elite dangerous the only thing starmade has to offer over them is fleets and building your own ship/station from scratch. So if this game wants to be succesful it'll need atleast : a global/official server, a goal (because there's actually no interest in this game but building) and optimizations for everything to run better.
    But looks like those things will take too much time to get and by then the other games I mentioned will grow larger and larger, I already created a thread on that, we need solo gameplay set up (pirates, trading, etc) as soon as possible, because without that starmade is just a voxel sandbox.