One Year

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    It has been a full year since the last update, and I have heard no news that would make me think one is coming any time soon. I love this game and have played it for more hours that almost every other title I own. If there is never another update I will still continue to play and think fondly of this game, the money spent on my copy has been thoroughly re-payed with hours upon hours of enjoyment. I want to let Schema and everyone else at Schine know that I deeply appreciate the game that they have built. I have deeply enjoyed every minute spent in it and will be here ready if another update comes whenever it comes to continue playing this game. Thank-you to everyone at Schine and best wishes for this next year.

Reaction score
    • Likeable Gold
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    • Thinking Positive
    That's a healthy, mature attitude.

I just wish we would get some kind of teaser demo of that delicious new sound system that is said to have been developed behind the scenes.

Reactions: PriZm
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I hope the best for this game and Schine myself. I have a lot of good memories of this game back when and although I don't expect massive progress towards big updates or additions, the fact that it still here at all is amazing.

Reactions: PriZm and Tsnonak

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    99 player battleroyale space invaders, holy crap that game actually seems really cool :D
    More like 15 player in practice so far. At least from the little exposure I've had to it.

Reactions: aceface

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    I just wish we would get some kind of teaser demo of that delicious new sound system that is said to have been developed behind the scenes.
    You can check it out in the universe update prebuild (from a year ago).

EDIT: I made a post about it here: How to play the universe pre-build (FROM A YEAR AGO) | StarMade Dock

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Likeable Gold
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    • Thinking Positive
    You can check it out in the universe update prebuild (from a year ago).

Thanks for the info!

I actually checked out that prebuild around the time it was released, but wasn't aware that it included any other new stuff besides the new planets.

I usually have sound turned off in StarMade, and probably had it turned off while testing that experimental game version too. But anyways, if I understand correctly what you wrote in the thread you linked, only new audio programming is present, but no new audio content, right?

I recall reading that it was designed to be a highly customizable system, and I know there are lots of starmaders who would be happy even to have a chance to do their own tinkering with the system... But personally, I'll pass on that, and just wait until the official implementation of new sounds.

Last edited:

serge1944

Grand Admiral of The Infection Initiative
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    I started playing this game back when I was an annoying pre geek teen. Now I'm here in colege studying programing, have a full beard, became a bodybuilder and I keep playing starmade. I really want to see this game completed one day. Seing the stars evryday reminds me of this epic game that will always remain in my heart.

Reaction score
    I played this a lot a few years ago and got a hankering recently to try it out again. One of the dev team posted on the SM steam forum

>>

We really do have a passion for our game, schema worked on StarMade for 10 years. 8 of which it's been sold on our website and 6 of those sold on Steam. I've been around for 7 years now. schema the creator and lead dev for StarMade has spent countless hours working on the game. It was never for the money. In fact, StarMade has been free to play the entire time it's been out. The demo on Steam is the full version and anyone is free to download and play the full version from our website.

Unfortunately, we ran out of funding and had to switch to part-time. Development slowed down. Now we all have part-time or full-time jobs elsewhere, other projects to sustain ourselves.

We haven't had the time to work on StarMade as we liked in the last 8 months. schema has been busy with other work to secure more funding for StarMade, but we're really not sure when or if that's going to happen.

We are looking into opening up the code for community contributions, but this also takes time and money.

TL;DR We didn't take the money and run, it's been a 10-year project that ultimately has been more than we can handle.
    <<

So from the above it's fairly clear the devs have bills to pay and passion isn't an acceptable currency. The point about making it Open Source requiring time and money underlines where the Devs find themselves.

I feel if Schema turned to the community for help he would get it though.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    I'm glad someone made this post/thread. I have been playing Starmade off and on for nearly the entire time. I was there when old systems were the normal and stayed through the conversion to newer, better, though harder to grasp systems became the normal. This game has giving me something I could never ask for in a game and it continues to do so. I have always been fascinated with space and the life that could be lived in a space faring civilization, but alas our lives will all be completed before our civilization will even begin to attempt this. Through this game, I have experienced the feelings, both good and bad, of living a life as such. For that I have to thank you, I will forever state that Starmade is the greatest game ever. I will continue to play, build, even mod this game for the rest of my life. Thank you DukeofRealms for the build info. I missed that update and had been hoping to play with these features. I haven't looked at the other post yet, but it is the next thing on my list. And seriously, to everybody that had a hand in the creation of this game, Thank you.

Reaction score
    Well said.. for me launching StarMade now is like visiting the region i lived in when i was young. I have so many good memories of endless summers, playing with some friends and having so much fun. And there was this mystery to the game, because of the deep mechanics and logic magic that was (and to some degree still is) possible.
    But there is also this strong, nostalgic feeling saying: "Never again will it be like it was back in those days."

I also wanna say thank you to Schine and the whole community (especially the early community and the one during the "golden years" of StarMade) for more fun than i ever imagined i could have by playing a video game. Thanks peaceful roleplayers, you always showed me that - at the end of the day - it is about having fun in this game and actually "playing" it. And also thanks to the hardcore gamers, always searching for new tricks and logic stuff to get a small advantage over other hardcore players. It really was the mixture of both sides that made the game so interesting and always made me come back to learn more and test out new things :)

Maybe I am all wrong and there is an even better time for StarMade to come in the future. But I doubt it, tbh. So let's just keep the good memory without hating about the current state of development.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Well said.. for me launching StarMade now is like visiting the region i lived in when i was young. I have so many good memories of endless summers, playing with some friends and having so much fun. And there was this mystery to the game, because of the deep mechanics and logic magic that was (and to some degree still is) possible.
    But there is also this strong, nostalgic feeling saying: "Never again will it be like it was back in those days."

I also wanna say thank you to Schine and the whole community (especially the early community and the one during the "golden years" of StarMade) for more fun than i ever imagined i could have by playing a video game. Thanks peaceful roleplayers, you always showed me that - at the end of the day - it is about having fun in this game and actually "playing" it. And also thanks to the hardcore gamers, always searching for new tricks and logic stuff to get a small advantage over other hardcore players. It really was the mixture of both sides that made the game so interesting and always made me come back to learn more and test out new things :)

Maybe I am all wrong and there is an even better time for StarMade to come in the future. But I doubt it, tbh. So let's just keep the good memory without hating about the current state of development.
    ... sums it up well.

Last edited:
    Reactions: PriZm
    Reaction score
    ... sums it up well.
    It's just how I honestly feel about it. If i remember servers like Feed Up Your Beast, ElwynEternity , Redshift, GenXNova or Sunworld I get a really strong positive feeling - and i sometimes wish I could travel back and experience it again. Same when i watch old YouTube Videos from MushroomFleet for example, or Drakkart's Tutorials etc etc... It really is that strong and I wonder why only StarMade does this to me. I mean, let's be honest... I got to know the game via the Yogscast Let's Play Series - and at this point the game was really ugly looking and extremely basic. But during the years after - and especially after the Steam Release - the community grew bigger and there were some versions where the game felt close to (somehow) finished. At least much more than it ever did in the years after those golden years. I can still remember the day Jump Drives came out and the whole server was filled with players, everyone being so excited.
    I think this is true for all of us that are still here and thus somewhat still caring about the game, and it's definitly true for me: StarMade gave us a gaming experience and for the multiplayer part even a social experience that no other game ever could. StarMade has a very special place in my heart... man, the memories... when a whole server was scared about getting stealth-warheaded by me, the infamous scoundrel LoneWolf xD It's pure nostalgia for me. It might actually be the only reason i still start the game sometimes. The sound of the ship core next to you, watch the stars and just think about the good old days :'(
    Edit: Another reason might be, if I am completely honest with myself, that i secretly still hope that FUYB will suddenly show up on the server list with like 47/64 players online :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    Still waiting for ya Schema, but in a good way :)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    my hard drive is dripping wet for an update if one should ever occur. one of these days i need to finish my impossibly huge and complicated fleet carrier that would be completely impractical to use in any way. but its beautifully ugly.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Some donations to Schema, buying the game, and some good press and decent reviews from more mature members of the community would probably help him focus on starmade instead of having to build side projects to seek funding. Game development is a rocky road, especially for indie developers, especially when they're under financial strain, and especially when your community self destructs and throws tantrums over every update to a pre-alpha build they don't like.

If we want more, we need to show more support, be less whiny and nitpicky and immature, and give schema the chance to actually do the work.

Reactions: AWildSylveon