On the Construction of SuperCapitals.

Is This Complete Rubbish?

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    (I acknowledge others have proposed similar methods but this one is unique in its own way.)

We have all been in this situation: You just joined a server and you fly out looking for a place to call home. You pass a huge (Ugly) Faction Titan on the way there and wonder where the group got all of the materials to build it. In reality (without regard to cosmetics) a small group or individual can build a massive ship in a week or 2.

I propose an idea for the creation of all ships to have to be done at a shipyard. This concept is not new however, it could seriously bring a realistic feel for the game. Through extensive calculations I have determined that a factor of 16 is an order. The formula is simple: Ship Mass/16. This would allow shipyards to make a (relatively large) 10,000 mass ship in 625 hours or 26 days. So instead of building an actual ship when in build mode a player would be able to make a "Ghost" of a ship.

Ghosts
    Ghost ships would be unable to move, shoot, dock or undock turrets and ships, ect. They could be towed to the shipyard using another ship as a tow. They are also invulnerable to conventional weapons but cannot be faction protected leading to blueprint stealing espionage.

Shipyards
    What if, instead of the method of just building a ship anywhere in space, a ship must be brought to a shipyard to be built. The shipyard would work by slowly making the ship real at 16 mass units an hour starting at the front of the ship and working its way back. The mass units idea would lead to lighter ships that could be built faster. All you would need to do is place a hull block where the ship core would be and then c+v to the build block. You could link the shipyard to a storage unit to build from your stocks or tell it to give you the bill later.

Escape From Spawn
    This would create a problem: How does one leave spawn? Spawn should have whatever the trade guild fighter is on the server in docks to prevent people being trapped.

Pros
    1. Good for server resources (prevents major lag for new small servers)
    2. Would create a relationship between players is PlayerA Had to Visit PlayerB's Shipyard.
    3. More Immersive.

Cons
    1. Would prevent new players from getting started quickly
    2. You could spend an entire afternoon making a fighter that then gets destroyed by an Isanth in 10 minutes.
    3.Would require a large amount of resources just to get started.

Reaction score
    I like this as an option for the server config, but it should not be required.
    The way players would escape the spawn is by building a ship by hand. I think there should be an option to eliminate "advanced build mode" and instead have a shipyard enclosure required to build ships. Players could still, as an astronaut, place blocks and build a ship that way, but it would not be fast.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Alright so shipyards are already a confirmed thing. I perosnally like the concept of placing a timer on consturction. For example, players want to buy stations but this should only be implemented if they have to wait to for the station to be spawned in after purchacing. Thats besides the point though so let me get back to what I think about this.

I think waiting a month for one ship is a bit high. Its good because it will reduce the number of large ships and increase the number of small ships. Its bad because we would need a number of shipyards just to get multiple ships under construction which might not be completed for a long time. I think that number could be reduced to a factor of minutes instead of hours. I have a ship thats under 1k mass. If 675 mass/10 = 67.5 then I would only have to wait about an hour to get a ship. I think that's more reasonable.

I like the idea of espionage but I need it elaborated on more. How does it work? How would I steal a blueprint? This is something the server owner should be able to configure or switch on/off.

I believe if players spawn with credits and starter blocks then we shouldn't have to set up a system with respawning starter ships. If the spawn sector is changed then it also needs to move that station to the new one, and in the end is not entirely necessary.

Shipyards will have storage blocks attached to them in order to feed the construction modules, or so I would assume. While no details have come out the devs have talked about it in public.

Reaction score
    Alright so shipyards are already a confirmed thing. I perosnally like the concept of placing a timer on consturction. For example, players want to buy stations but this should only be implemented if they have to wait to for the station to be spawned in after purchacing. Thats besides the point though so let me get back to what I think about this.

I think waiting a month for one ship is a bit high. Its good because it will reduce the number of large ships and increase the number of small ships. Its bad because we would need a number of shipyards just to get multiple ships under construction which might not be completed for a long time. I think that number could be reduced to a factor of minutes instead of hours. I have a ship thats under 1k mass. If 675 mass/10 = 67.5 then I would only have to wait about an hour to get a ship. I think that's more reasonable.

I like the idea of espionage but I need it elaborated on more. How does it work? How would I steal a blueprint? This is something the server owner should be able to configure or switch on/off.

I believe if players spawn with credits and starter blocks then we shouldn't have to set up a system with respawning starter ships. If the spawn sector is changed then it also needs to move that station to the new one, and in the end is not entirely necessary.

Shipyards will have storage blocks attached to them in order to feed the construction modules, or so I would assume. While no details have come out the devs have talked about it in public.
    My goal Was to create an environment similar to EVE where a titan takes a long time to build. Of course Eve is a long term strategy game and star made is a sandbox so there is bound to be less of a wait in Star Made.

Espionage or BluePrint Stealing is already in the game. You simply approach a faction base and hop in the titan to save it in the local catalogue. This Is usually frowned upon.

I agree the Respawning ships is a bit much so we could probably switch to like Monontok said about building ships in astronaut mode.[DOUBLEPOST=1413219338,1413219291][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I like this as an option for the server config, but it should not be required.
    The way players would escape the spawn is by building a ship by hand. I think there should be an option to eliminate "advanced build mode" and instead have a shipyard enclosure required to build ships. Players could still, as an astronaut, place blocks and build a ship that way, but it would not be fast.
    Good Idea

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    So if I'm at sector 9000,9000,9000 working on my tan and my ship burns up I have to go all the way back to the shipyard at 2,2,2? Or Noob McNooberson spawns into a server and tries to create a ship only to find out that the Empire of the Space Whale or whatever has construction going in every shipyard for 50 sectors.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    So if I'm at sector 9000,9000,9000 working on my tan and my ship burns up I have to go all the way back to the shipyard at 2,2,2? Or Noob McNooberson spawns into a server and tries to create a ship only to find out that the Empire of the Space Whale or whatever has construction going in every shipyard for 50 sectors.
    I'm assuming you just make your own shipyard.

Reaction score
    If this was implemented, there would just be too many of them. Obviously everyone wants to build ships, so wouldn't need their own shipyard.?Just imagine a sever with 50 people on it.....

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    If this was implemented, there would just be too many of them. Obviously everyone wants to build ships, so wouldn't need their own shipyard.?Just imagine a sever with 50 people on it.....
    I think it is kind of the point to have loads of them.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Shipyard mechanics have been suggested repeatedly, and are apparently planned, though your suggestion seems vastly underpowered it's in the vein of what is planned to be implemented. More space station amenities - possibly including mail consoles - would be nice to see eventually as well, though honestly a console on ships should be able to send and receive mail as well....

Last edited:

FlyingDebris

Vaygr loves my warhead bat.
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Councillor Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Better part of a year waiting for my base defenses to be built? No thank you.

I get the sentiment here, but your "calculations" did not include the fact that the major factions, as well as many individual players, have ships with masses ranging in the hundreds of thousands and even millions.

I'm one of those people, and I really do not want to wait that long for even the simplest of things to be built.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Ghosts
    Ghost ships would be unable to move, shoot, dock or undock turrets and ships, ect. They could be towed to the shipyard using another ship as a tow. They are also invulnerable to conventional weapons but cannot be faction protected leading to blueprint stealing espionage.
    So, I wouldn't be able to test out my ships at all before completing them? That's awful.

How would this make the game any more fun?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I think this would work better as an automated system. You can create a ship by hand, create a shipyard, then you would use a shipyard to build said ship repeatedly, and multiple shipyards could be installed on a single station. The only prerequisites would the materials to build said ship in linked storage units, and an area large enough to build the ship, marked out in the same way as a dock zone, and power. Lots and LOTS of power. Again, exponential scale upwards with ship mass/size.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen
    (I acknowledge others have proposed similar methods but this one is unique in its own way.)

We have all been in this situation: You just joined a server and you fly out looking for a place to call home. You pass a huge (Ugly) Faction Titan on the way there and wonder where the group got all of the materials to build it. In reality (without regard to cosmetics) a small group or individual can build a massive ship in a week or 2.

I propose an idea for the creation of all ships to have to be done at a shipyard. This concept is not new however, it could seriously bring a realistic feel for the game. Through extensive calculations I have determined that a factor of 16 is an order. The formula is simple: Ship Mass/16. This would allow shipyards to make a (relatively large) 10,000 mass ship in 625 hours or 26 days. So instead of building an actual ship when in build mode a player would be able to make a "Ghost" of a ship.

Ghosts

Shipyards
    What if, instead of the method of just building a ship anywhere in space, a ship must be brought to a shipyard to be built. The shipyard would work by slowly making the ship real at 16 mass units an hour starting at the front of the ship and working its way back. The mass units idea would lead to lighter ships that could be built faster. All you would need to do is place a hull block where the ship core would be and then c+v to the build block. You could link the shipyard to a storage unit to build from your stocks or tell it to give you the bill later.

Escape From Spawn
    This would create a problem: How does one leave spawn? Spawn should have whatever the trade guild fighter is on the server in docks to prevent people being trapped.

Pros
    1. Good for server resources (prevents major lag for new small servers)
    2. Would create a relationship between players is PlayerA Had to Visit PlayerB's Shipyard.
    3. More Immersive.

Cons
    1. Would prevent new players from getting started quickly
    2. You could spend an entire afternoon making a fighter that then gets destroyed by an Isanth in 10 minutes.
    3.Would require a large amount of resources just to get started.
    wait a second here... ur telling me to build a tiny 10k mass ship i have to stay logged in for 26 days strait? nope i disagree already