Offline Ship Editor

Reaction score
    In the dev builds that\'s a possibility. But in the current live build everyone is currently using, probably not. It is typically identified as tag -13 and for all I know it could have to do with bloom (I\'m not a programmer or anything so its my own stab in the dark and very likely wrong).

Whatever the case is, when SMedit runs into a ship with these new \"tags\", it barfs on itself. Most of them it silently skips but some make it vomit rainbows. The objects (ships) that it skips are usually not loaded and for a similar reason this prevents SMedit from seeing custom stations as well. When this happens and assuming you have run SMedit from a command prompt, that prompt window will update with a bunch of traceback messages like you\'ve been seeing in this thread for the last several pages. The most common traceback mentions a bad tag \"-13\" and others I couldn\'t begin to guess at.

Just let JJ whittle at it at his own pace. These potential suggestions like \"maybe its x or y\" may have already been persued. We can only sit and wait for good news. Until then we\'re just speculating on what the new tags that break compatibility are.

Reaction score
    Hello, I run out of memory and I do not charge any ships. As I can add more memory? Thanks

I answered myself

Create file inicio.bat ( java -Xmx2g -jar SMEdit.jar )

thanks

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I am trying to import a .obj model to smedit opening SMEdit normally and with -d64 and/or 4g memory it constantly fails. the error message I get is

Error executing plugin

Plugin: Import/OBJ
    Arguments:

file := C:\\Users\\Jack\\Downloads\\ALAV-27b.obj
    longestDimension := 256

java.lang.NullPointerException
    at jo.sm.data.UndoBuffer.checkpoint(UndoBuffer.java:41)
    at jo.sm.ui.act.plugin.BlocksPluginAction$1.run(BlocksPluginAction.java:64)
    at jo.sm.logic.RunnableLogic$1.run(RunnableLogic.java:14)

so i converted the obj to a binvox file and tried to import that and got

Error executing plugin

Plugin: Import/Binvox
    Arguments:

file := C:\\Users\\Jack\\Downloads\\ALAV-27.binvox
    longestDimension := 256

java.lang.NullPointerException
    at jo.sm.data.UndoBuffer.checkpoint(UndoBuffer.java:41)
    at jo.sm.ui.act.plugin.BlocksPluginAction$1.run(BlocksPluginAction.java:64)
    at jo.sm.logic.RunnableLogic$1.run(RunnableLogic.java:14)

There was also no output on CMD.

Fixed this by restoring the deleted Isanth blueprint-default file I had tossed. Hope this might help anyone else but it led to a seperate problem, the ship core wasn\'t actually connected to anything generated or after having the core moved. Back to building from scratch for now =)

Reaction score
    This is the point, folks, that we now must wait for SMedit to get caught up. Give Jo more time to work things out. In the meantime, either stick to an old build (the easy method) or tweak your ships by hand in-game (the tedious method). Be patient, the SMedit update will come with time and patience. :)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Hi, I just got SMEdit and I got all the way to the part where it updates but after the update is done and it installs everything, the program wont actually open. In the task manager java opens when I click the SMEdit.jar but closes about a second later. any help?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    oh, ok never knew they had to be the same version to run. Well Ill wait until the update then. Thanks

Reaction score
    They do. Each Starmade build in the past had to be reverse engineered to a degree by Jo before he can update Smedit to work with it. Since then, Schema shared some source code under an NDA with him and while its not the code Jo was seeking, it will play a part in SMedit in some way when it is updated again.

Currently the reason why SMedit won\'t even launch is because the new Starmade release adds new block types to the game like \"pents\" and \"tets\" and allows the rotation of a lot more blocks than previously. SMedit can\'t read this data so it crashes saying it tried to Divide By Zero (I\'m not kidding, the DOS console boils the error down to \"/ by 0\" at the top of the traceback log when I run SMedit from cmd.exe). This means the new build is entirely incompatible until SMedit is updated and that won\'t happen until Jo gets it all untangled (Schema\'s code is obfusticated). This takes time and effort. Give it time and be patient please.

In the meantime use an older build of Starmade secondary to the newest version and do your Smediting in this older build before you import it to the new build. Its a longer process, but its more certain to work.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    It also divides through zero at reading the texture files.

SMEdit requires SM Textures.

If it can not find the files in the old directory and this creates a zero-divisor.

Reaction score
    I have to say it is the lack of community support that caused me to give up with minecraft. NOT that it is happening here it is a feature request really. This is just general observation.

Take Minecraft. There were loads of cool mods but every time there was a game update another mod broke. The guys who write the mods for no financial reward give up chasing the development and the mods die off one by one. You end up going back 8 builds to play the mods you want to play. My minecraft experience went from having missile silos and reactors to, awesome there is another pig.

I realise code is proprietary and needs to be protected for commercial reasons but cool mods and useful tools such as this keep people playing. Is it is similar to open source development. Open source always outstrips in house, look at Android and Linux. However, open source means free and that is not a business model for a game. So supporting your modding community with editors and information is the next best thing. Why as a game developer spend hours trying to dream up content and implementing it when your community will develop content for free? Create an amazing concept and framework and let the communtiy run. If I can knock up a hull in Cinema 4D in a couple of hours and then easily import rather than spend two months clicking then that is awesome. After all I\'m adding content and making it painful is not a good thing.

So I\'ve just started with Star-made and because my current machine is old I\'ve got a cheap server running to take the pain away. I was just getting into stuff and was about to create projects using my 3d software and SMEDIT. Now I realise it isn\'t possible I will cancel the server and mothball the game intending to come back later. However, I\'m currently building a 3k machine I can pretty much guarantee once that is up and running Starmade will take a back seat like Minecraft did.

Just a thought for developers that a community in limited co-development is a good thing and enahnces your product they aren\'t trying to steal it.

Reaction score
    The game isn\'t even beta. Trying to run or design mods or tertiary software around an alpha build is an exercise in futility. Having played and run Minecraft servers since the middle of \'09, it was frequently mentioned to relax on mods until there was a stable build. People didn\'t listen, got burned out and stopped modding. Their fault for trying to mod for a constantly changing product. People are building game play styles, projects and tasks right now that are not version specific, so hopefully that will tide them over until release.

You don\'t need fancy editors to build epic ships. Triple symmetry goes a long way in speeding up huge builds. You\'re going to need to wait until yoou get easy mode building like MC, even though it isn\'t as required as it was in MC\'s lack of symmetry modes.

Reaction score
    Their fault for trying to mod for a constantly changing product

It\'s more like Mojang\'s fault for not being able to provide a stable API. From the Minecraft wiki:

The Plugin API has been planned in some capacity since at least July 5, 2010, shortly after the release of Alpha 1.0.1_01.[5] The release was originally stated to be planned for 1.3, then for 1.4, and then it was accidentally stated by Curse that it would be implemented in 1.5, but has since been delayed

[...]

As of October 26, 2013, the Plugin API/Workbench cannot be found on its GitHub page. Furthermore, the developer website has also been taken offline (http://dev.minecraft.net).

Or would you suggest to simply not develop for a game because it is constantly changing?

However, since StarMade already seems to have a better foundation than Minecraft ever had, I am confident that schema will keep his promise of better modding support. (And also because he is much more awesome than Notch.)

By the way: Currently, everyone with the binary can easily decompile the game\'s code, so there\'s not much point in keeping it secret. More importantly: If the code is available it doesn\'t mean the software is open source. For example you\'re practically allowed to do pretty much nothing with source code that has no licensing information whatsoever. Sharing the source would be as legal as sharing the binaries.

Reaction score
    People complaining about a game changing too often, when the game was in BETA, are delusional. For people that want to mod SM, all they need to do is chill until the game is released. That way, they won\'t suffer the burnout syndrome that all the MC modders experienced by running new bukkit and plugin builds almost hourly at times.

If Mojang ends up with higher priorities than a plugin API, thats\' the way it goes. In the end, I\'m pretty sure they are smart enough to realize what they could be sacrificing by delaying the API. Either that, or they\'re swimming in cash too, and really don\'t give much of a shit any more.

As Jaq is smart enough to be able to code SMEdit, then he\'s likely also smart enough to know it\'s futile to chase a constantly changing game, especially a game only in alpha that could be subject to major core changes, which could render any of his efforts wasted, so he\'s liekly waiting. That\'s my guess, for what its worth.

Reaction score
    It is way too early yet to mod for this obviously. It is still in early development. But now is when you need to plan for future support.

I got to minecraft late and in two months there were mulitple builds that broke mods. It looked to me as though Mojang changed the game to lose the modders so they can control it\'s development. You watch soon Minecraft will introduce a money making element into it.

Reaction score
    Hello jjacquinta!

I haven\'t played starmade in quite some time! And I\'ve just checked back to see it\'s progress and wanted to check on SmEdit!

But alas, it doesn\'t want to run on my computer. It askes for an update, then once it\'s updated it won\'t start. I do have a new build compared to when I first tested it, so maybe it is that?

Regards

GyngaNynja

Reaction score
    StarMade was updated approximately two weeks ago and the OP wasn\'t here since then. If you want to use this tool, you will have to use the previous version of SM for the time being.