Official Texture thread

Reaction score
    You\'ll find the images in the StarMade\\data\\sky folder, It seems it\'s a 3D skybox. Don\'t know if schema uses the same layout but they are somethink like this:

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    It\'s something similar, but like this: Positive X, Negative X, Positive Y, Negative Y, Positive Z, Negative Z

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Since this conversation is basically fighting about taste, wouldn\'t allowing people to change the color themselves be easier?

I do not know what tools you are using, so I can\'t really talk about this, but in every 3d tool I have been working with it is really simple to give a texture a certain tint. Instead of having differently colored hulls, use a grayscale texture, which is tinted according to the blocks RBG value.

I am not really sure how changing the color would work from the players perspective, but just having a drop down list of \"default\" colors and a entry for the rbg code below that could be a good solution. A SchemaDye machine would work too, though

Also, I think connected textures are the way to go with lights and glass, just google it or have a look at the way minecraft\'s optifine mod does it. The borders could even be overlays, really, if that isn\'t too bad for performance

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I agree about the different colors there should really be the possibility of having custom colors:D

Reaction score
    http://imgur.com/tyNPdAz,H5QfsMH,TdkYTgn,jsaEkek,5Va111k,tBy47Zv,5ZkBQAT,2EarTjT,FdANS0C,YmLWxdq,u6R6Bkj,MNCzCJz,Hb51Eep,In0NZVg#0

A collection of texturepacks. Enjoy.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    The generators, tanks, and weapon fronts don\'t tile well. The weapon fronts just seem like they need a little less black in them. I\'m also confused on why the colored lights have no border while the white light does.

This also carries over issues from the original texture pack. One of those is how the back of weapons blocks looks with the top and bottom. You would expect there to be a sort of \"t\" to match up with the lines on the top and bottom, but there is only a connection to the side. Also, there are only two faces on a computer that identify it. If you put a computer where you can\'t see those, you can\'t easily identify it.

Aside from those issues, this looks much nicer than the default texture pack. You really do have skill.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I have a few suggestions but i\'m not sure if they\'re possible.

-Custom Beam colors for beam weapons (if they ever get put in) or for exisiting beams (docking/repair/power)

-Custom Strobe lights: Basically have a strobe light with various colors (red,blue,green,etc) and you can decide how often and in what order they should light up.

-Custom Afterburner color

-Custom shield color

-Strobing lights/dials on weapons computers/power generaters/shield blocks

Hopefully they\'re good ideas and not too hard to put in :p

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    The textures that bother me the most are thrusters, docking enhancers and the hull textures... Hardened hull should get a nice, smooth texture that doesn\'t look like metal tiles, docking enhancers should get a texture with a \"+\" shape of wires or something rather than just more boring recolors, and thrusters... well, they just need something ELSE, no idea what it would be.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I\'ve been looking at a lot of other Sci-fi games and they all have one thing in common, the hulls look smooth and have a gloss to them. Adding this to the texture will deffinetly improve the appearance of the game by ten fold. If anyone has a really nice texture pack that adds this id love to use it!

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Another attribute that will really make starmade look better is to have the hull appear seamless. If you have ever seen any Space Engineer videos or pictures, every hull piece looks different, yet it flows together. Also it would be nice if there weren\'t shadows and dark lines where corner pieces connected. Ex:

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I do find that the texture packs that try to smooth out the hull tend to make the games blocky-ness only more apparent, it would be a nice effect if textures pulled from a pool instead of one single texture.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    It would be cool to have a permanent overlay for build mode, with clear visible blocks, highlighted black blocks and such.

BTW: Why is the block-config completely server-side?

I would like a soft ambient shiny-animation on basic interior hull, but it is impossible to add light or animations with custom texture packs where initially none are defined in the server\'s block-config.

Optimal would be a client-block-config for texture position, number of images, light, etc merged with the server\'s block config for block price, hp, armour, etc.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Agreed... That\'s the one thing I hate about the lighting engine. (Besides shadows being weird sometimes, and tetras/pentas being shaded totally wrong.)