NPC Faction Update Video

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Greetings citizens, ~

due to the scale of the update, its impact, and amount of parts, we unfortunately weren't able to release the NPC update this week. However, we created a video for you watch, outlining how the NPC factions will work.

Watch it here:

upload_2016-11-5_19-7-0.gif

As mentioned in the video, an after and with the NPC faction update, AI will be revamped and upgraded on all fronts. It was always the plan to wait with that for NPC factions so all parts can come together. We also will adress and overhaul weapon/ship-structure/resource balances in these coming update circles.

Thanks for playing StarMade,

- the Schine team

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Awesome! It's good to finally see large-scale features like this being implemented.

Reaction score
    Greetings citizens, ~

due to the scale of the update, its impact, and amount of parts, we unfortunately weren't able to release the NPC update this week. However, we created a video for you watch, outlining how the NPC factions will work.

Watch it here:

View attachment 34174

As mentioned in the video, an after and with the NPC faction update, AI will be revamped and upgraded on all fronts. It was always the plan to wait with that for NPC factions so all parts can come together. We also will adress and overhaul weapon/ship-structure/resource balances in these coming update circles.

Thanks for playing StarMade,

- the Schine team
    Will this affect creative mode. Also will this keep pirates from attacking me while I'm building (not as much) And what will happen to our old maps (VERY IMPORTANT)

The_Owl

Alpha is not an excuse
    Reaction score
    just a quick question, but we only see these factions taking territory in one galaxy. What happens to the other galaxy's in the game? Do they also spawn there? do they only appear when you go to it? To they just not exist in other galaxy's?

Reactions: MacThule
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Wow, this update is looking cooler than I expected. Wasn't expecting custom factions this early, will we be able to configure our own factions for singleplayer?

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    To answer a few questions (quoting doesn't want to work)

1: Creative mode will function as it does now.
    2: If you aren't in pirate territory, then you probably won't encounter them often.
    3: Old maps (afaik) will remain the same. Schema may need to comment. It is possible that the factions will spawn without a reset. Not sure.
    4: All galaxies will have factions in them from what I understand, or at least that is the plan.
    5: As stated in the video, you will be able to control the blueprints and behavior of a faction for SP or MP.

Crashmaster

I got N64 problems but a bitch ain't one
    Reaction score
    Will it be possible to completely purge an NPC faction from a galaxy?

Reactions: Criss
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Will this affect creative mode. Also will this keep pirates from attacking me while I'm building (not as much) And what will happen to our old maps (VERY IMPORTANT)
    There are already multiple ways to keep pirates from attacking you while building. You can disable pirates from using craft through the blueprint menu, and there are server config options for disabling pirates.

Reaction score
    The functionality here is more involved then I expected to be honest, which is nice. Is this going to come with all the procedural fleets or just a hand full? Also, some question for the official factions :p

Napther

Grumpy builder of Kaiju Design Initiative
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Since it seems no one has asked, what exactly clarifies the ship and Station roles?

What is the difference between an ATTACK and a DEFENCE marked ship?

Is the Scavenger basically a Miner-type, but, for example, follows around a fleet and picks up salvageable materials from Wrecks?

And what does a "Mining" tagged station have/doesnt have in relation to an "Outpost" station?

Reaction score
    To follow up on Napther's questions regarding roles, can we assign multiple roles to a single blueprint so the faction will spawn/build it if in need of any of the roles it fulfills?

Reaction score
    guys. tell us about the difficulties you encounter during drilling this update, please, I guess people would love to dive into the process together with you for a little bit. thank you

Reactions: Ithirahad

Napther

Grumpy builder of Kaiju Design Initiative
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Chaining in from Shadow's post above, Will a ship be able to operate as a dual purpose? IE, a Scavenger with offence capability like long range missiles. Will it flee from all combat, or will it recognise it has both, and begin salvage operations at the end of battle, or flee when its among the last left in a fleet as per morale system that may come?

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    its good to see this update comming.

I also too have a few questions:
    NPC will have apparently a really elaborated behavior, as close as possible to a real faction i guess, with minig, exploration, ect... But in the selected fleets there is not always ships for these actions, so how a NPC faction will manage to get ressources if it haven't a salvager? for exemple the fleet i submitted has only a frigate and a fighter, not enought to make a faction...
    And the brings me to my second question:
    Will fleets be updated if fleet builders have new ships to add?
    I have a bomber ready and i'm working on a cargo but it won't be ready in time for the update.
    here is a little pic (WIP)
    fleet cargo WIP.png

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Dangit, Schine. Now I don't have a brain because it exploded from excitement. :(

:P

One quick question: Will NPC factions require a 'manufacturing station'/shipyard-equipped station to create new ships? It'd be neat if players could conquer an enemy NPC faction shipyard to slow down the enemy's production of new ships.

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    I noticed the NPCs were stocking Turret Docking Enhancers...

Can we finally get rid of those stupid things?

Reactions: SkylordLuke
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    I believe Dave is sitting on a chair in the video... Nobody noticed ?