Nova Fleet Dynamics Build Server- Build, Play, Explore! [Whitelist]

Status
    Not open for further replies.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score

According to Criss and Saber the next update will result in pretty much a day of downtime for the server, and could screw up the universe as it has to convert things to a new chunk process (A news post should be made rather than announcing it on the stream ffs guys). Back ups of the server may not contain up to date versions of projects, and so if the update screws something in this conversion, you may not be able to get it back.

I recommend backing up blueprints to local and server, just incase. However, if you can't save something like a planet, feel free to use sector exports, that folder is never wiped by us, and should hopefully remain some degree of safe.​

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    (A news post should be made rather than announcing it on the stream ffs guys)
    Why do you insist that we don't think things through? We are going to post it in the news as well as the dev blog that bench is going to be writing up. We gave you a heads up before the actual heads up.

Most of the conversion process worked, and all blueprints that were saved, converted, and freshly spawned had no issues as far as I could see. A clean backup will hopefully be all you need.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    Rimmer why do you insist that we don't think things through? Obviously we are going to post it in the news as well as the dev blog that bench is going to be writing up. We gave you a heads up before the actual heads up.
    You should have made a news post, with the facts verified by everyone involved. Even saber said during the stream that he didn't know much about the changes. Instead you made an announcement potentially filled with misinformation that could result in everyone thinking something that is completely false. I and the rest of the NFD staff are responsible for hundreds of projects that could be at risk with this update, and making an announcement that could make the community think something incorrect is a bad thing. Chinese whispers 'n' all.

Obviously we are going to post it in the news
    On the day is not enough warning to back everything up. It's hundreds of gigabytes that need to be sent to remote locations for many servers.
    as well as the dev blog that bench is going to be writing up.
    And how are we supposed to know this? Dev blogs are so uncommon there is no way to know if we'll ever get one again really.

Oh, and please don't shit post on our thread. This is not the place for that. PM/Skype/Discord/Steam me at will.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Instead you made an announcement potentially filled with misinformation that could result in everyone thinking something that is completely false.
    Nothing I said was "false". It is was what I observed myself. I didn't say anything beyond that. We were on a release build because I had already encountered the issues with the dev build and it was rolled back. I shouldn't be PM'ing people if you put us on blast on the thread. I am here to clear things up.

On the day is not enough warning to back everything up.
    That's why bench posted the dev blog not too long ago. I didn't think giving a headsup to 30 or so people on the livestream would be such an issue. If you want to discuss this instead of taking space on this thread, I suggest heading over here.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    A news post should be made rather than announcing it on the stream ffs guys
    This is a really good way to kill conversation between two parties, in particular the devs and players. Basically Criss said hey look out but we don't have a lot of details since they aren't part of the code team. The conversion process is the biggest thing being tested right now, so keep your panties on, and be patient. We all appreciate your concern about our blueprints but you don't have to be passive aggressive about getting information from someone that doesn't have it, and really doesn't need to have it. There is a lot still in flux. We'll know a lot more when Schema and Auburn hand it off to Andy, Lancake and the testing team to round out the edges.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    This is a really good way to kill conversation between two parties, in particular the devs and players. Basically Criss said hey look out but we don't have a lot of details since they aren't part of the code team. The conversion process is the biggest thing being tested right now, so keep your panties on, and be patient. We all appreciate your concern about our blueprints but you don't have to be passive aggressive about getting information from someone that doesn't have it, and really doesn't need to have it. There is a lot still in flux. We'll know a lot more when Schema and Auburn hand it off to Andy, Lancake and the testing team to round out the edges.
    Fun fact; there has been cases in the past with information only being given out on streams. Why else do you think the issues with Mushroom Fleet got so bad?

As much as people might huss and fuss saying that was then and this is now, it's hard to shake experiences like that. The only difference between now and then to me is now we have Bench, whom is still quite busy with irl things last I heard.

Last edited:
    Reactions: therimmer96
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Just a shout out to nightrune and djthekiller: thank you for the helping hand and tour for me(fma)and my son(nogg) on the server,i find the most interesting part of the game is the peeps in it. Keep up the great work guys , hopefully I will have some of my wip's ready to show off soon.(just my typing skills suck lol)

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    Just a shout out to nightrune and djthekiller: thank you for the helping hand and tour for me(fma)and my son(nogg) on the server,i find the most interesting part of the game is the peeps in it. Keep up the great work guys , hopefully I will have some of my wip's ready to show off soon.(just my typing skills suck lol)
    There's tons of cool builds! and you're very welcome. Hopefully you get admin soon.

Reaction score
    IGN- TheBrainMuncher
    Why I want to join: I've been looking for a server with a good community, and a place to share creations and view others.
    My favourite type of cake: Battenburg
    An example of my work:

Reaction score
    IGN- Facestab

Why you want to join the server- I need a server where I can build in peace without huge amounts of restrictive rules

Example of your work- http://i.imgur.com/aWP2cqO.jpg

Your favorite type of cake- Marble cake

Last edited:

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    IGN- TheBrainMuncher
    Why I want to join: I've been looking for a server with a good community, and a place to share creations and view others.
    My favourite type of cake: Battenburg
    An example of my work:
    IGN- Facestab

Why you want to join the server- I need a server where I can build in peace without huge amounts of restrictive rules

Example of your work- http://i.imgur.com/aWP2cqO.jpg

Your favorite type of cake- Marble cake
    Both of you have been accepted and whitelisted.

Reactions: therimmer96
    Status
    Not open for further replies.