Nonlinear end game goal.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I think we can all agree that having some sort of goal or objective to achieve in single player AND multiplayer respectfully will keep players playing the game longer, instead of spawning in, flying around in a core, and logging off.

I understand the game is still in EA? (I haven't checked in a while but i'll just assume it still is) and currently has bigger updates planned out, but it's getting a bit unnerving watching something i was interested in three years ago begin to fall off the map because of lack of in game objective or content. I've built many ships and i've had nothing to do with those ships other than constantly redesign them for update reasons.

AI fleets came and i thought that would hook me back into the game but then i realized that my options interacting with these fleets were in typical A B C fashion. Do i attack them? Do i trade with them? Do i leave them alone? There weren't any other options so i opted to obliterate their organizations because i was bored.

It sounds like I'm being heavily nihilistic about the state of the game but do know most sandboxes has evolved past the arbitrary "do anything you want" style of gameplay. Believe me i've done just about everything there is to do. I try to come back but i end up flying around my station and leaving.

My only recommendation is to add some sort of in depth quest system where choices you make change the universe around you. Faction quests that go more in depth and have universal merit to them. I.G persuading one faction to war against the other for your benefit etc.

If you've ever played ANY of the X games, you'll now that the game usually has no direct campaign. The game gives you a ship, some money, and then sets you off in a sector. It's your job to make yourself into something or die trying. Starmade has the potential to adopt that formula without losing any of it's core gameplay and it would drastically improve the replayability.

Reactions: Lone_Puppy

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I would like to point out that minecraft, most successful video game ever (or at least it was, mabey that changed) has no goal, storyline, quests, or anything. I mean, you can kill the dragon, I guess, but that's not much of a goal. It's pretty much the same as just putting some massive pirate station out in the middle of nowhere. Sure, you could go kill it. But why bother? You have a space castle with overlycomplicated and buggy logic to build, and that upstart new faction isn't going to curbstomp themselves.

Reaction score
    If you've ever played ANY of the X games, you'll now that the game usually has no direct campaign. The game gives you a ship, some money, and then sets you off in a sector. It's your job to make yourself into something or die trying. Starmade has the potential to adopt that formula without losing any of it's core gameplay and it would drastically improve the replayability.
    I think StarMade already does this. When you start a new game, it drops you into the universe with a few starting necessities (configurable, so you could add a filled ship BP of your choosing in the starting inventory), some credits and then pats you on the back and sends you on your way. Everything after that is up to you.

What Starmade lacks is a definite end goal as well as any sort of narrative to get you there, if you're a good player, you just keep building stuff, fighting pirates and other players, gathering resources for that next big thing and then... it kinda falls flat after that. Perhaps it's the journey that counts (a journey that can take many routes, and forks in the road) but when the game is this open-ended, replay value is not what you're after (well, starmade has a lot of that, because you can basically do things differently every time you start a new game). Starmade is not a game you can actually finish (there is as many ways to "win" in Starmade as there is ways to play it), because there is no set end goal in the game.

In Starmade, you make your own story, and set your own goals. That is all at the moment, you usually drop out because you've one what you wanna do, or you get bored with it, and the game just goes on indefinitely.

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I hijack NPC ships for cargo and materials.

I also like to use their miners to mine for me.

You can also use them for target practice and weapons testing.

I would like them to expand into and take over player systems more though.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

If the game implemented user-made missions, players could create meaningful game content, including different end-game goals, starting-game tutorials that work (man, I wish that tutorial station worked; that would be incredibly good), and all the variable middle-game content you could ever want.

All the stuff that is currently considered important to develop "first", before user-designed missions, would pale in comparison to the endless improvements that could come from user-made missions.

Sure, the 90% of user-made missions would be useless, but the remaining good 10% would be amazing, and would cause the game to adapt to different developments. People would be passionate about it and end up making great stuff. People would be funny about it and end up making hilarious stuff. People would be inspired when making it and end up making epic stuff.

It could start very simple, and would inevitably develop more useful details over time.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    I believe the fun will be in the community. Once the game is more complete and there are more players, there will ALWAYS be things to do on a busy server.