"Non-solid Chamber Block" Suggestion

Reaction score
    Imagine if chamber blocks were "non-solid" and only visible in build mode (like empty cargo storage blocks, pickup and shootout rails, area triggers, etc).

It'd be a relatively trivial tweak of the textures/block config. Almost no work for developers at all!

But why?

I'll tell you why: it turns the chambers into "rooms". It creates rooms that PvP players would actually build (and maybe even line with hull). It creates rooms that could be decorated. It creates rooms that (in a future update) could be inhabited by (and enhanced by) AI crew members. It gives chambers a plausible reason to exist. It solves the current "let's force ship builders to waste space" disaster.

Note: I lied - developers would need to modify conduits so that they can be more like doorways/passages, so it's not quite "no work".

Koloss_Meshuggah

Resident Wall Flower
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Note: I lied - developers would need to modify conduits so that they can be more like doorways/passages, so it's not quite "no work".
    Conduits could be given the integrity feature.

When ever I do make interiors, I make my hallways as small as possible. I can settle for 2x2.

Reaction score
    Conduits could be given the integrity feature.
    That could work well for conduits between chambers. I'm not sure what would happen for conduit between (solid) reactors and (non-solid) chambers though.

Of course there's lots of possibilities if the developers are willing. The "most awesome" possibility would be conduit to decorative console/s within the chambers (where conduit isn't used for passages between chambers and ship builders can do whatever they like for passages).

When ever I do make interiors, I make my hallways as small as possible. I can settle for 2x2.
    My standard practice for passages (on medium/larger ships and stations) is 4 blocks tall and either 3 or 5 blocks wide, with wedges in the top left/right corners and lights in the centre of the ceiling.

I don't really build small ships; and didn't really think about the "1 block per chamber" case. For "chambers as rooms" the minimum that makes sense would be "2 block tall 1 block wide" chambers connected by "2 block tall 1 block wide" passages.