Non-Cubic blocks don't have a cubic hitbox

Reaction score
    This is more of a maintenance suggestion. From my gameplay, I've found it very strange that something like a corner block or tetra takes up a cubic space. I understand this concept as it would apply within a single entity, but when you have docked entities, turrets, other ships, etc., it feels kind of stupid for something that takes up a quarter of the space of a cubic block to collide with something that doesn't even touch it. The main applications for this are in ship building (so docked entities can at least be a little more in line and fit a little better) and functional mechanics (collisions and hits from weapons).

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Each block takes 32bit.
    10-11 for the block ID
    8 for the hp-value
    5 for rotation
    the logic bit
    ...​

If you could place more blocks, let's say 4x4x4 blocks, your ship would be 64 times bigger in memory.

The only two solutions are to
    either couple hp with rotation for wedges to create 8 mini-blocks of the same ID which take only 1 bit (exist, not) per block and couple height with block ID or rotation.
    or make 8 blocks per cubic metre with the sentence above.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    I would love such a thing but I fear that the engine isn't quite ready for it since that would mean more complex calculations for block damage. Emperyon does this and PvP there is full of wonky armoring schemes using pyramid blocks to better catch lag hots. The end result is much laggier combat though.