Nomadic / City ships

Reaction score
    Changes:
    Spawn becomes the only Trade Guild's Nomadic ship. Details later.
    Each NPC faction can have one, some perhaps replacing their home base
    Added:
    Nomadic Ship cores

Details: Nomadic cores are pretty much ships with the ability to use some station facilities based on type but all are unable to use weapon or support systems. Benefits include being able to use factories, shops, and small shipyards aboard, being able to use autopilot through wormholes, having permanent cloak and jam, and having a slight boost for thrusters. Deficits include having slower factory/ shipyard use times, no weapons, unable to perform in combat well, potential to lose it is kinda high, can be impossible to find again, and limits to shipyard size.

Specific details:
    Factories work though just have a slower production rate based on type.
    Shipyards can at most produce, say, heavy fighters, though can have 2 shipyards.
    Docking may be limited, since having drone armies or docked Titans would be a problem, but definitely no turrets.
    These ships have advanced path finding to get to destinations quicker, utilizing wormholes to cut down distances, though only works for discovered wormholes. (Eg; both wormholes must have been explored by fac first.)
    Permanent cloak and jam means that, while it can be disrupted temporarily, they will naturally have this, and can be hard to track down again.
    Something else that may be added is a wandering mode, whereas the ship will randomly travel within a galaxy but actively avoid potential threats.
    Spawn becomes a unique ship, being a normal one that jam's players ability to find their coords while aboard.

Types:
    Factory: Gets a bonus to regular factories, though loses speed, shipyards, shops, and things such as med cabinet.
    Shop: Has a bonus to storage, though has reduced speed bonus and no shipyards or factories.
    Ark: Naturally produces things like oxygen that are needed in an environment, can be used as mobile cities. Permanently stuck in wander mode, loses speed bonus, and an even further reduced production rate for factories and shipyards. Kinda hope this can happen eventually.
    Mining: Gives bonuses to entities docked with salvagers but without weapons. Does not have factories or shipyards, however.

Edit: Removed regular and added mining.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    i do like the idea of npcs having a capital ship that acts as a hub. gives them more nuance. if we get a mission system. it be cool to see these ships hand out more military styled missions, perhaps even protecting the capital from a drone strike. i dont think players need special restrictions. but npcs might want to make sure the ship is not killable and semi easy to find. or spawns back if it dies somewhere else

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    This is basically just capital ships, which they've already said is coming.

Reaction score
    Not really, no. Capital ships are intended as super powerful dreadnaughts that are able to defend themselves along with being able to use almost all station functions albeit at a lesser rate/ability. These are intended as super weak civilian ships capable of hiding from enemies and able to do a class specific thing at a rate similar to if not better than stations, with the possibility of a unique AI.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    When i first started Starmade, Back in the dark ages when you had to deal with selling 1000 blocks ( i think it was) of something JUST to get a blueprint(not called but works) to make that item, And when there was no damage pulse weapons and the shield was one block. I used to cruise around on a massive ship as my Mothership I never owned a station till the factories were unable to be mounted on ships. I voiced my thoughts against the removal. But like everything else i said or did it didn't matter. Too many "MEGA" factions were fekking it up for everyone.

I WANT TO HAVE FACTORIES ON SHIPS ONCE MORE! None of this limited production bullcrap none of this they are going to be on capital ships! I would like (WANT) them to be able to be fitted to ships once more. I DO NOT like to be stuck in one the runs at a limited capacity.

So that i voice my disapproval now i offer a suggestion to counter.
    Each faction can make ONE mothership core, yes a "NEW" block or even a new ship core block Maybe even rename the death star core assets and use that. Therefore That one block or core also has a faction function on it to prevent someone from make it that is not in a faction nor make more than one per faction. This mothership is allowed to use both current ship systems as with the manufacturer station items. It will NOT be able to fit a shipyard OVER 1000 blocks in any dimension, But allow smaller ships to be made. The Mothership Can have limited faction homebase protection if there is no station homebase set. BUT if the faction uses a station to claim a system that mothership LOSES its homebase protection.

With this i feel it will allow a small faction to move around, build blocks for ships or trade, and allow smaller ships to be build within. It will stop larger or just about any faction, from using a mothership as there homebase if they have a station claiming system ownership.

Reaction score
    See, the problem with that is that not only would the ship be a mobile station, it also means that everyone would be able to have invincible ships and be going around absolutely destroying everyone. Not only is it not fair nor not fun, it is extremely boring and/or tedious.

This suggestion proposes a system which is like having colonies colonies in real life. They can't really defend themselves, but do provide unique and useful bonuses. You could send ships to protect them, but then they are revealed by any passer-bys.

Tbh, this was more of a joke suggestion than a real one. The only thing in here I actually expect to se is better AI/different kinds of it, whereas one of them is confirmed. This was meant to hopefully spur up a few more genuine and actually... creative? (Not sure how to describe them right not.) ideas.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I did not spell out the "limited" homebase protection as i knew full homebase protection would be too OP, and was leaving it up for discussion.

I felt that i was creative and it was genuine to me, if it didn't well i like always screwed up what i was trying to say...