No kidding the power system is broke just realized why!

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Nobody has an issue with you creating a game that tries to achieve the same thing as StarMade. No one has a problem with people creating new games. Where there is an issue, is, if you reverse engineered StarMade, slightly altered a few things and started selling/offering it off as your own. Go ahead and make a StarMade clone if you wish, just don't use our assets to do it. There are games very similar to StarMade out there right now, if I were to start a new game, personally I wouldn't choose to do a StarMade clone, there are already so many games in development that are trying to achieve the same thing or variations of it.

You could do it with any game, if you wanted to create a game like Elder Scrolls but open source, you could. As long as you didn't go using their assets to do so.

If you do use our assets, like any other company, we'd take issue with it.

I'll give you some examples:

Modding StarMade and offering that content for free: Good.
    Creating your own game that tries to achieve the same things as StarMade, but does not use any of our assets: Good.
    Reverse engineering StarMade, using all our hard work and owned materials, passing it off as another game/making public: Bad.
    Advertising your own game as a StarMade 2 or open source StarMade: Bad.
    [doublepost=1491709612,1491707734][/doublepost]

The simple answer to all of your questions and points is that sometimes we remove/modify things that are intended, at times we remove/modify things that are unintended. Whether they are intended or not is irrelevant here and plays no part in the decision making process. We might mention that it was unintended and here are the reasons why we don't think it should stay, but we don't remove things simply because we didn't think it would happen.

The two big reasons we remove "features" (intended or not) are performance and balance.

Here's a simple process of how this happens.

Does it cause performance issues? Yes > Can it be fixed easily? No. > Is it integral to StarMade gameplay? > No. > Removed/Modified.

Does it negatively impact other or all aspects of gameplay? Yes > Can it be balanced to work with current and future plans > No. > Removed/Modified.

Intention/expectation takes no part here.

Sure, we don't always catch things, that's why we're in open alpha, our players are always going to catch the things we miss. We take their reports, suggestions and feedback seriously. The truth is StarMade is not balanced, we're very experimental, we're willing to take risks with adding and removing systems. We've done a lot of it since the very beginning, and you're going to keep seeing that until beta.

Not true at all. When docked reactors were first found (a very, very long time ago), we liked the creativity and the design expansion there. It wasn't intended as far as I remember. Docked reactors stayed for a long time; we didn't address them specifically because they seemed to add onto our system. Unfortunately, they were not performance friendly, there are a few things we could (and will still do) to address some of that, but there was always going to be a performance impact. Secondly, they were an illusion of choice and smart design. At a certain size, they were a necessity, we don't want an inelegant, performance heavy "feature" to stay in the game, so they were removed. Their existence was one of the bigger complaints about the game we receieved.

So, initially we did think docked reactors were a good thing. After seeing them being used and evaluated their impact, it was found that they were not adding as much to the game as they were taking away.

Oversights, exploits, bad features, all the same. You can call it whatever you want, what we're not saying is that the users are "bad" for making use of it. Some server owners might think that (fair enough), we're glad that people are showing what they can do with the game and what the consequences for that are. If you were to utilise performance killing "features" with the knowledge that they will negatively affect everyone's experience (like is true for so many of the things we remove/modify), then yes, that is quite bad.
    First of thanks to both of you for responding to me on this.

The performance effects of docked beam reactors was much different than that of the upstream chained reactors. Yet, you all killed chained power supplies. I assumed chained reactors had more to do with lagg when breaking free. I didn't see any negative performance on my system from them and my keyboard literally displays each CPUs performance at the top.
    Assuming that had more to do with the reactors breaking loose in combat. But that would have been nicer to say than tell me in the past its an exploit. That said there is a simple fix to them. Stop using directories to store stuff in use a virtual directory or file list to keep track of connects. Doing that and you can have multiple connects. Even simpler add a bit to the docked system that can be set to make it simply follow along with the ship such as designating it as hull vs ship vs turret. Then you never have to worry about such issues.
    None of those are massively hard to change. The file system instead right now you search through directories and build a list of connections. I know this from testing and that stuff over about 100 directories or so gets cut off. You could simply pull the connection list in from a file and have all the connected entities stored in a single directory. That would save when loading not having to change directories to load each one.
    Adding a single check flag to the entire docked structure is probably the easiest solution of them all. As long as the flag is set it continues the docked system in the same location to the entity it is docked to you already do that simply because you have a docked system. so 99.9% of the code already exists.
    I think that is 3 simple solution I just came up with to prevent. lagg do to undocking.

But then again maybe it really was power because I tend to think easy stuff like that you guys in the development team are actually capable of coming up with and I am not probably any smarter than you guys. I might have more time programming but smart probably not.

Also if you do fix the file system as I suggest then you could have more than one connection between objects.

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    If someone would write a script to convert blueprints to my game and these blueprints would be fully functional, would that count as similar?
    Programs and editors/3D exporters – Official Minecraft Wiki

Much like how modders convert MC schematics to other formats, the same is true here.

The biggest problem is if I use suggestions made in the SM-dock because I unconsciously remember them as being the perfect solution so that it guided me to rediscover the exact same solution, that Shine would sue me for using the Forum or CC (after all it's impossible to see whether such a script is written by me or someone else when use a public login and anonym account to publish it or send it via private male to someone I know would publish it or to myself so I could say I just received it from someone unknown).
    Well, first of all, the forum is not owned by Schine, the Terms and Conditions of this site are not bound to Schine. Secondly, that's not how copyright/trademarks and ownership of content works.

Video game clone - Wikipedia

Cloning a game in digital marketplaces is common, because it is hard to prevent and easy to compete with existing games. Developers can copyright the graphics, title, story, and characters, but they cannot easily protect software design and game mechanics. A patent for the mechanics is possible, but acquiring one is expensive and time-consuming.
    this uncertainty is mind-control through fear – these are the issues you have to address when using ©opy®estrictions ToS / licenses.
    Only your own fear and perceived risk (which is incorrect) is holding you, that has nothing to do with us or the law. What you say is simply not true.

By not doing so, you create friction with community (and this post is an example of it).
    I think you misunderstand how any of this works. As long as you are not using our assets, go do whatever you want.

Sooner or later, I think that the game which allows community-content to be ported over to other games will have to win on the market (it attracts players).
    Anyone is free to recreate their own or others designs made in StarMade elsewhere. The only issue you would have would be passing them off as your own or bundling them with a commercial product.

The concerns you have are non-existent, I suggest you read how trademarks, copyrights, patents and ownership laws actually work. No one else talks about it because you've just made all these rules and situations up on the spot ;)

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Programs and editors/3D exporters – Official Minecraft Wiki

Much like how modders convert MC schematics to other formats, the same is true here.

Well, first of all, the forum is not owned by Schine, the Terms and Conditions of this site are not bound to Schine. Secondly, that's not how copyright/trademarks and ownership of content works.

Video game clone - Wikipedia

Only your own fear and perceived risk (which is incorrect) is holding you, that has nothing to do with us or the law. What you say is simply not true.

I think you misunderstand how any of this works. As long as you are not using our assets, go do whatever you want.

Anyone is free to recreate their own or others designs made in StarMade elsewhere. The only issue you would have would be passing them off as your own or bundling them with a commercial product.

The concerns you have are non-existent, I suggest you read how trademarks, copyrights, patents and ownership laws actually work. No one else talks about it because you've just made all these rules and situations up on the spot ;)
    I won't get into the patent and trademark discussion on here other than to say its spelled out pretty clearly you can find the info on it here.
    United States Patent and Trademark Office
    In general avoid using another person source without consent. Art work like images, levels and so on are usually not made for free with lots of opensource game engines that came from professional developed games. Example: ID soft put a lot of their engines out for people to use they didn't include the levels, logos, textures and models and so on.

That said as DukeofRealms says the only thing stopping me from putting out a game duplicating this one is myself. The biggest thing that stops me is me from butting out something similar. About the only time now I put out similar stuff to others is to teach how to do it. I don't consider it being very creative if you copy another person's idea. It also isn't very nice in the respect you are profiting potentially off another persons concept and work. I don't need a patent or trade mark office to tell me one way or another on it. It simply a personal feeling of it being wrong. Secondly, I don't like reinventing the wheel. I also get board easily and repeating something is extremely against my nature. I tend to do stuff as long as I find it challenging. I often end a project right as I solve it. I've refused other work projects and simply scribbled out note to past management what they need to look for to solve the issue. While at first that behavior wasn't much liked it I wasn't fired primarily because of he money it saved them.

Hell I am so lazy besides keeping a code library I wrote other programs to write part of the common coding I think is just tedious or repetitive.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Sorry for causing trouble then,
    I completely missed that second ToS when looking before writing my post.
    About Us - - - - Imprint - - - - Data Privacy - - - - End User License Agreement - - - - Brand and Asset Guidelines - - - - Website Terms and Conditions
    • Website Terms and Conditions

• The details you give us as part of the registration must be correct. You can change your registration details if they become out of date. If you deliberately tell us something that you know isn‘t true, and we end up in trouble or we lose money, we may hold you responsible. That means that you may have to compensate us for the damage you cause and what we have lost.
      • You might need to register with us to access all of the parts of our Website.
      • We own the Website and the content on it, but we are giving you a permission to use it. We want you to enjoy using our Website, but if we want, we can take away your permission to use our Website at any time for any reason.
    ©2017 - StarMade™ is a registered trademark of Schine GmbH (All Rights Reserved)*
    Home - - - - Contact Us - - - - Help - - - -Terms and Rules - - - - Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Rules
      Last Updated: October 9th, 2014

StarMadeDock.net is owned and operated by Realms Network, LTD., a separate entity from Schema, Schine GmbH, and StarMade.org.

The providers ("we", "us", "our") of the service provided by this web site ("Service") are not responsible for any user-generated content and accounts ("Content"). Content submitted express the views of their author only.
    And I miss-read it as: "Realms Network, LTD" is a separate entity from Schema, Shine GMBH, and StarMade.org
    When it means: "Realms Network, LTD" is a entity separate from Schema, Shine GMBH, and StarMade.org

Maybe that is why I had it wrongly in my memory?

So if I would release my project under ToS like SM has and the community provides Pirate-ships for it which they build with StarMade's build tools, it would be a problem to include them in default folders because I offer paid licenses?

Not that I would release my product with such terms, but it's good to know that.​
    SM is only so prohibitive on scripted addons (like mine-craft where addons can break the game) because of incompatibility with the default game …
    I would go another direction here too (making 2 UIs - one for when you enable mods which are non-default)​

Last edited:

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    So if I would release my project under ToS like SM has and the community provides Pirate-ships for it which they build with StarMade's build tools, it would be a problem to include them in default folders because I offer paid licenses?
    We would have no problem with that, as long as you weren't using our designs (Pirates, Trade Guild, Outcasts, Scavs etc). Other people, who built ships, might have a problem with it if you bundle them with your game. That would be something for the ship creators to deal with, though.

Reactions: Az14el
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    In honor of our dear friend GRHayes leaving skubmad I'm going to go back through his entire post history and have a shot every time he mentions something about his personal life on this space Lego forum, and a double shot for every mention of his Navy nuclear tech past.

You're not cool dude, no one is impressed. None of us are cool. You're a grown man who argues on a space autism forum.

>inb4 Trolling 1