No dead bodies in space please.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Dead bodies everywhere! We need to be able to make corpsicle asteroids.

Edit: We really need this after thinking about it for a min. Got a hull breach, jam a body in it, problem solved. Wipe out an enemy fleet? You just got an extra layer of corpsicle armor for your ship. The possibilities are endless.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Crewman: We've been hit by an officer!
    Captain: If they're going to fire on us, we'll respond in kind. Fire. Fire!
    (two men grab the captain, intending to drag him to the torpedo tubes)
    Captain: Not me! A torpedo!

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    With Schines blessing some budding devs in the community could work on such a project.

As for age restrictions the client could have age rating config option to show or not show age appropriate content.

Lol corpsicle and corpsicle aateroids. Could be handy for farming. ;-)

Reactions: MacThule

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Is there really going to be anyone younger than say 13 playing this game anyway?

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Is there really going to be anyone younger than say 13 playing this game anyway?
    Heck yeah! Preteen Me would have flunked out of grade school, playing this game so much.

Reaction score
    Classic Simpsons.

Do you have kids? I couldn't see my children playing a game like From the Depths, but in its current form, sure, I could see them playing StarMade. They already play Minecraft. How complicated they make the new power system to build might change how accessible it is to younger gamers. We'll just have to wait and see.

Reactions: Brokengauge
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    Classic Simpsons.

Do you have kids? I couldn't see my children playing a game like From the Depths, but in its current form, sure, I could see them playing StarMade. They already play Minecraft. How complicated they make the new power system to build might change how accessible it is to younger gamers. We'll just have to wait and see.
    I've let my pre-teen play Starmade, but it's almost impossible for him without frequent assistance. He'd be fine with the corpsicles, but then again he watches Walking Dead & Game of Thrones with us, so he wouldn't exactly be traumatized.

That said... Obviously a toggle would be a way to go with this. The G rating version would be that if an NPC dies, it instantly vanishes. The fun version would be that when an NPC dies it becomes a floppy (or rigid, depending on exposure) wire-frame corpse for a duration equal to a user setting.

The duration setting for corpses would be necessary for obvious reasons. Performance, duh. And then... ...having a dead body left over from a battle past week randomly get stuck draped across the ship's camera would be... ...even too depressing for me. :unsure:

No to indefinite duration corpse cancer. No to random, heart-freezing horror moments for no damn reason.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I would love some sort of no-rail launcher system that could fire objects/blocks/entities. A nice corpsicle splatter affect would be great too. Hard for the enemy to see out of their bridge or cameras if you apply chunky to them at high velocity.

My 10 year old plays now and then, he'd love dead bodies in the game. Would probably build a fort out of them.

Reactions: jayman38

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Ah, I remember back when I was ten, I would make forts out of dead bodies all the time.

Reaction score
    I doubt that dead npcs will have any gameplay elements besides being a cosmetical addition. So there might be a high chance of no bodies, as they just use up physical calculations with no real addition to the game.

And I doubt that npcs will each have their own inventory if they are crew members. But if this is the case, the bodies might non the less not been rendered, as you just can drop the loot into space instead of letting it stay inside a body container.

But, and I think that this might be a very nice idea, you can have inventory of beaten npcs and players stored inside a bigger container like entity. Like an orb. So if a ship with 20 crew members explode, it lets flow glowing container orbs filled with the inventory of the slain players and npcs into many directions. Picking those orbs up with a salvage beam, and having then those orbs stored inside your cargo, feels a little better than picking up dead bodies with a salvager - am I right? :D

I have to add, that the decission, wether or not bodies belong to Starmade, is kinda tricky. It has a deep impact to the atmosphere, if there are many bodies floating in space or not.

Reaction score
    Of course, if NPCs don't despawn there's the posibility to make damaged space hulks to be explored, filled with dead astronauts slumped at their posts.

Oh, look at this leathery egg shaped object...

Reactions: Xskyth

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Of course, if NPCs don't despawn there's the posibility to make damaged space hulks to be explored, filled with dead astronauts slumped at their posts.

Oh, look at this leathery egg shaped object...
    Ooh....it's opening like a flower. Lets look inside. ;-)

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Default behavior:
    • killed with weapon or burned: turn red-orange and apply dissolve or fade effect to make the character appear to be vaporized.
    • exploded: near-instant animation as above
    • out of oxygen: rag doll for a few seconds and fade away

All of these are relatively benign. Anything less and I'd almost be concerned about making death TOO benign. Death does matter.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I just have it in my head that when sounding "general quarters" everyone puts on a pressure suit. and hooks into the ships life support that way, while all the atmosphere is pumped out. You know, so you don't have to worry about explosive decompression, or fireballs traveling through your interior faster than your bulkheads can seal...

I am in favor of bodies, but I'm also in favor of having it be toggled on and off based on user preference.
    didnt save Commander Shepard

Reactions: SneakyFish
    Reaction score
    didnt save Commander Shepard
    No, it didn't. But his suit did allow his body to survive planetary entry, followed by impacting on said planet with a force that could best be described as "liquefying", relatively intact. Had he not been wearing that mediocre N7 armor, there wouldn't have been enough left of him for cerberus to clone, much less "save". Wearing a pressure suit (or sealed body armor) is STILL preferable to a simple red shirt...

Reactions: jayman38
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I think if a player astronaut dies it should be a container shaped dead body
    [doublepost=1501317448,1501317409][/doublepost]and corpse armor would be awesome decorative blocks