• Total voters

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I agree on the issue.

Planets should have a smoother transition - like atmosphere drawn further away and the landscape fading in when taking a closer look (use clouds to hide not-loaded chunks? :D)

Reactions: jath
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I agree on the issue.

Planets should have a smoother transition - like atmosphere drawn further away and the landscape fading in when taking a closer look (use clouds to hide not-loaded chunks? :D)
    That's what I meant. These have too hih opacity.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    That's what I meant. These have too hih opacity.
    The problem with reducing opacity is that you are then able to see through a solid planet if you are far enough away from it ... perhaps changingthe lighting on the planets would be a better solution, make them darker / non-luminescent that way they are darker but not see-through so are less of an eye sore

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    How about they increase in appearant size unproportionally to your distance? For example, if you're 5 sectors away, it shows the planet 20% the size of what it would look like if you saw it normally from such a distance, 4 sectors away that would be 40% and so on.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Do you NOT have Visual Enhancers in your contact lenses?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    The problem with reducing opacity is that you are then able to see through a solid planet if you are far enough away from it ... perhaps changingthe lighting on the planets would be a better solution, make them darker / non-luminescent that way they are darker but not see-through so are less of an eye sore
    What about that:

How it's now:

How it could be:

I made this planet for fast: How to acquire it?
    1. Add glow around planet.
    2. Apply texture to planet's atmosphere.
    3. Addf more reasonable shadow to planet's atmosphere.

Note: Screenshoots were took with procedural background off that's why planet might look too good compared to background. But with procedural background it should be just fine.

mrsinister

Xenophage
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    well, I do not want cubes, i like the globes, but couldn't we get a bunch of planet type textures in a game folder and randomly assign them to the planets? like instead of solid dots or gassy dots, actually have a texture?......

ie:

Cause at the moment don't all planets resemble...[not trying to be funny].... Uranus, with different coloring? Shouldn't it be a bit more diversified as far as textures used??

Last edited:

mrsinister

Xenophage
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Sun-Planets :DXD

I see problems with Saturn : we don't have asteroid-rings and the tex may be misleading.
    true but it was just an example...lol...just a quick image I grabbed with multi-planets on it. Saturn and other ring planets can be ignored ;)

Reaction score
    Saturn and other ring planets can be ignored
    I'll try to say this as quietly as possible, just as a gentle reminder:
    (( All of the gas-giants in out solar-system have rings. And each has quite different types of rings, too. ))

mrsinister

Xenophage
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    (( All of the gas-giants in out solar-system have rings. And each has quite different types of rings, too. ))
    My ring planets can be ignored comment was so that it would not impact performance, if adding rings would cause performance issues.

the picture I used was, after all, just an example. Would it have been better to grab something from the Star Wars Universe? lol

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Not all of them your confusing planetary rings with lunar orbital fields which are totally different things. lunar orbital fields while may contain small debris clouds which form rings, but get their names from the fact that they also contain small moons as well, are not visible through telescopes because they aren't dense enough to see with the naked eye.

End of my astronomy lesson.

But the point is we need better looking planets and I think a texture wrapping on the planetary atmospheres would give that desired result. also aside from being aesthetically pleasant this is actually more realistic as you cant see through the atmospheres of most planetary bodies in the real universe anyway. I know talking about realism in a video game is subject to public opinion, but really it just looks better if it is more similar to the real thing.

Also another side point I think needs to be addressed. If you have ever spent time exploring the solar systems of the current game, you may have realized sometimes the planets will change colors as you approach them. as well they will appear at distances that really you shouldn't be able to even see them at all, IE the next solar system away from you. well, this is due to the fact that the game doesn't currently discern draw distance into rendering visual element, but fixing that can be tricky. and if done right will let us be able to better navigate and see visually what planets are at distance. without having to refer to the map menu for clarity. and textures would be rendered in such a way that this mite be fixed, it would render the lighting color first, and the texture over that. so if its done that way it would let us see it at distance.

If scheema did a way to generate the planets a bit more realistically, IE certain planet types only generating in certain orbital planes. then adding in orbital types for sub objects like moons, then maybe this would eventually lead to true orbits of objects that actually move around the planes as they would be expected to. but all that may take additional updates exclusively for them later. for now, I suggest we focus on what can be fixed now.

Last edited: