no artificial shields, more rewarding combat

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Because you can already do it on servers. No need to do what would be a gamdbreaking change for most people just so that it\'s more fun for you.

And SE DOES have everything you asked ;)

Reaction score
    who is doing it? name one person who is doing it right now.. isn\'t this a suggestion forum? this is not an announcement forum, I am not announcing this.. million people suggest stuff that\'s game breaking for others.. the point of these suggestions is to suggest and find a way around any problems your suggestion might cause, so others can review it, not tell you that you should start playing a different game

if you don\'t like the idea, okay, what am I supposed to do, not suggest anything at all?

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    I can see where your coming from, but the majority of the players are quite fond of shield blocks. Aswell, the next large update should hopefully be a weapons overhauls, and I hope to find that certain weapons are in fact Very effective against shields, and Larger ships should hopefully carry More types of weapons.

Don\'t get me wrong, it IS an interesting idea, but isnt something that should be forced upon the player base.

Maybe instead you should look for a server that shares your ideas (like Ixalite\'s) or see if others share your ideas and open your own Role Player Server (is what its normally called when you want realiztic).

The Problem with simply removing the shield block though is people would likely fill those areas with Power Tanks and just build a Giant Shotgun array (which are very effective against hull). The solution there would be to rebalance hulls... which may result in smaller fighters and their weapons being near useless.

I dunno :p just my 2 cents worth

Reaction score
    yeah man true, but it\'s not like I am forcing it on the playerbase, the developers, or whoever is in charge of development will decide whether they should follow a suggestion or not..

so I introduced my idea of how it could be.. make whatever you want of it, but don\'t blame me for forcing something on someone

and indeed there would be problems like you mentioned, the shotgun array, and that is why solely removing the shield blocks wouldn\'t be enough - the weapon & power system would have to be revisited greatly..

it sounds like a lot of work and rethinking current mechanics, but it is worth mentioning because somebody might take something from this idea and combine it with something else to make it look appealing

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    http://star-made.org/content/rp-tectum-clementia-hardcore is quite customized :p sheilds are Rare and expensive, and AMCs are a God\'s send (mainly Missile focused Combat).

Also, if you want more realistic, Space Engineers may be worth a try (not saying you should, but its there)

Starmade and it run along Parellel lines, but are quite different at the core :p

Reaction score
    I know that space engineers exist, I noticed that ixalite suggested a server, that\'s okay, it\'s just that some people would want to blame me for offering a new view on combat, proposing some solutions for the problems it might put up, and calmly declaring that it is my personal opinion&suggestion

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    To be fair, Both Keptick and Angus raised Invalid points.... since they Assume your s\'pose to Fly around in Large ships (I personally fly a Frigate, cause thats all I need to take pirates), whereas I beleive that large ships should only brought out for wars/special events, and Titans+ only for show of strenght or Major battles.... not to Parade around in and bitch cause they got bumbed by a core ._.

But this is a Sandbox I s\'pose, you have to account for all play styles, and attempt to not limit the possibilities of those playing

Reaction score
    Your arguement, do not feel like you need to defend your points, you don\'t. Instead, work towards making the idea something both parties like. For example, multiple weapon \"classes\" and shield classes. For example, AMC\'s would be blocked by a certain shield, and same for mines and missiles, and finally lasers and pulsators. There would be a soft cap on he amount of different shields that you can have.

Reaction score
    Your arguement, do not feel like you need to defend your points, you don\'t. Instead, work towards making the idea something both parties like. For example, multiple weapon \"classes\" and shield classes. For example, AMC\'s would be blocked by a certain shield, and same for mines and missiles, and finally lasers and pulsators. There would be a soft cap on he amount of different shields that you can have.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    OMG, can somebody write a sumary?

Without shield blocks it would be aceptable only with auto-repair (at yards at least).

Reaction score
    I will suggest this: shields would neglect a percentage of damage, let\'s say 75% (will be configurable), the other 35% passes onto the block, and for those 75% of the damage absorbed, an amount of power will be drained, so, setting 100% damage absorption would make your power supply dry in seconds, and no sufficient amount of power = shields shut down completely, also, the bigger your ship = the greater minimal amount of power you\'d need to shield the whole ship, so shielding capital ships at high absorption percentages would be pretty power hungry.. I think the user Bannta had a similar idea in mind

I also stand behind the idea that the number of blocks in a weapon group should serve as an ammunition box, and that there should be overally far less shooting and certain shots should be more impactful

I think the ammunition box idea is quite good idea, it would make sense with larger ships = more ammunition

the block count in a weapon group would determine how much ammo can fit in, so, if you want to shoot big torpedoes, and have 100 missile blocks in your group, you\'d only have about 4 shots before needing to resupply.. (example: one bigger missile would take the space of 25 blocks in your weapon group)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    A flying rock has energy, a bolt of antimater is made of energy. You can\'t compare them.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Is on the other side of the Coin. Small ships and fighters. Ammunition limits like this completely ruins all hope for Dogfighting, which is actually quite enjoyable ;p

On a side note... I can agree with the % blockage, but I think the old shields used to Drain energy Constantly... so I assume that was changed for a reason.

Reaction score
    well, as I see it, weapon options for small ships would either be one powerful shot, or many small shots, with those ammunition limits, let\'s say a gun that uses smaller rounds would be optimal for a fighter, so one weapon block could hold respectable amount of those rounds, new term- \"ammo to block ratio\", if you choose a gun that uses bigger rounds, you got fewer chances but if it hits, one or two of those shots will probably disable your target

small rounds - barely making a dent on larger ships, but acceptable for dog fighting, and as I said, you could try have at it with that powerful missile but you better make it count because it is your only chance

ah, I didn\'t know the shields used to drain energy constantly, but if by constantly you mean constantly regardless of being hit, then what I suggested offers this:

minimal amount of power to be able to enable shielding - determined by the block count, or dimensional size of your ship

+ power drain when the shield absorbs any damage, based on the percentage of absorption

Reaction score
    Well, I think I understand where it is going, somehow, whatever...

I think, Puck thinks of some kind of active shielding, that\'s activated like a weapon, and only draws energy while active/shield button is held.

Let\'s just call it \"manual deflector\". Not as advanced like in currently distributed and well known sci-fi franchises, so no scanning of incoming stuff, no cumputing, no sequencing of coils or whatever, no pew, just this additional icon in the hotbar. Perhaps directionally limited, so another player could hop in the shield control block and change the deflector direction by turretly aiming, so the pilot wouldn\'t be mentally overwhelmed by navigating, pewing, deflecting and tacticaly thinking, breathing, blinking, bio-stuff,...

Or with that, what i understood about the upcoming shield system, directional control blocks for each facing, and even groups, so one could, if further refined/modified, manually activate front or left or whatever facing, when needed (in case of incoming asteroids, for example).

But i like as well the Idea of making damage bleed through the shields, if below a certain percentage, even combined with a capacitor-like recharge-curve, so the lower she shield integrity, the higher it\'s recharge rate. 5 Tau-thingy^^ (I thingk in eve are shields quite similar)

Summa summarum whateverum:

-So either shields with bleed-through-effect and adaptive recharge curve, or

-Manual, active, hexadirectional shielding, one button for each cube-face.

-Or more simple omnidirectional, just hit the button, and you\'re more or less invulnerable, as long you have energy/or the shield is depleted/both. This would need lots of fine tuning/balancing.

-Or the manually swayed deflector, which I think would be unnesessary complicated, but interesting.

-Or wait for the upcoming shield system, think about it and revise/refine/adapt/improve/enhance/extend/cancel all current shielding ideas

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    I\'m just saying that it would be an unecessary change.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    The \"scratch damage\" also applies to small ships, I just mentioned big ships because the pain of repairing would be exponentially greater.

Ps: I prefer flying in small ships (50mass) too.

Reaction score
    Thing to remember is that suggestion forums are for community feedback, and I think it\'s clear that the magority of the community (myself included) doesn\'t want this. It isn\'t a bad Idea per se, but I like the shields as they are. If you\'ll look at my previous post, that is the way that THEESE issues should be handled, but as a personal thing, I like my shields as is. I understand your attempt to \'save the game, but this seems to be the way things are going to go, and SE is always there for realistic combat.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Our shields are absorbers, neither deflectors, nor reflectors.

Deflectors alter the path of projectiles to make them miss your ship.

Reflectors repel projectiles like a mirrow light.

Retro-reflectors repel projectiles back to the attacker.

From some not finished project somewhere in the internet:

Against snipers, retro-reflectors would be very good, as snipers have high damage, low hp, but they are bad against low-damage / high-hp or slow-projectile / fast-moving combos.

Against energetic projectiles (explosives) which release most of their energy upon impact, deflectors will be the best choice.

Reflectors help against beams and are better than retro-reflectors if you can turn yourself to either throw projectiles exactly back to the attacker or better than absorbtion if you can let kinetics glance off at low angles

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Another thing to remember is that suggestion forums are for community feedback, and I think it\'s clear that the magority of the community (myself included) doesn\'t want this

Jet another thing to remember is that if something is bad in a reader\'s oppinion, more peoples post than if it is good in their eyes but a repeated topic.

I want more dept in combat and more RP elements. I know I am not the only one, but RP often have their own forums and don\'t care that much about mechanics, as they have their own server-ruled limits.