no artificial shields, more rewarding combat

Reaction score
    my suggestion is to delete shield blocks entirely and balance weapons like this: overally far less shooting, small projectiles would do very small amounts of damage, big projectiles would have quite impact but your potential number of shots would be greatly limited.. so the only things that stand between you and destruction is your armour plating, cunning and the performance&design of your ship.. not some twenty-million-hp artificial universal shield barrier

seeing a big torpedo hit your target would be something unique to see, as the use of such weaponry would be limited and you would have to make wise decisions on how to spend your few shots

it also would make you think twice before taking part in combat, I know this suggests the whole weapon mechanics to be reworked but it's worth at least mentioning it

Reaction score
    how about adding tweakable dimensions to shielding aid different aspects of defence.

Reflectiveness 1 - 100 (greater the number makes the shield thin and dense causing them to be highly reflective thus increasing the chance eliminating beam weapon damage, reduces impacted damage)

Power efficiently 1 -100 (greater number less power it consumes however reduces recharge rate)

Abruption rate 1 - 100 (the greater the number make the shield power spread out and less reflective thus making them more acceptable to beam damage however it will increases the ability to slow down the dissipates the impact damage of a missile warhead or mine explosion.

Adding this would greatly add in a whole different variation of ship defense tactics and not making a pain shields that stop everything thing force like now.

So say a player wants to make a mine sweeper than he would tweak his Abruption rate way up and subtracting his Reflectiveness and Power efficiently way down. Thus making him able to withstand mine explosion however very vulnerable to beam weapons and constance hamming of all types.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    On a certain server, http://star-made.org/content/rp-tectum-clementia-hardcore , shield blocks are removed from shops and are not commonly carried by pirates. Ships may still have shields, but even a single shield module is rare and valuable. To compensate for this lack, AMC are also likewise limited, and a custom forcefield block is added. Not being physical, it allows ships and missiles to pass freely, but has very high armor rating to resist most AMC fire.
    TLDR come play on Tectum clementia if you want to try low-shield Starmade

Reaction score
    When you make a large capital, you will know why allowing scratch damage will piss you off...

Reaction score
    you have a huge warship but you can\'t have it scratched?, but I see your point don\'t worry.. if you were playing on a server or real survival gamemode I guess you would be building your capital ships in secured space if that\'s what worries you.. and once you engage in battle with such large ship, I guess you can\'t avoid some damage

anyways it could be balanced so that one hardened armor block would have some extra resistance against some kinds of small projectiles.. there are many ways..

the block count of your weapon group would not increase the damage of your weapon but it would act as a \"magazine\"..

honestly I just think it would make combat all over more reasonable

Reaction score
    you have a huge warship but you can\'t have it scratched?

Can i have it scratched? Sure, that can happen...
    IF SAID BLOODY SHIP IS OF ACCEPTABLE POWER, and not a dinky lolfighter.

As for the rest *handwave*, if you want to scratch damage derilict space dreadnaughts, go to a no shield server, the rest of us like common sci fi shield logic.

Reaction score
    acceptable power? what is acceptable power, are you talking acceptable size? there are spiders smaller than your eyeball that could kill you with one bite if you are careless.. anyways, you can throw a small stone in your big car\'s window and it will sure make a scratch..

anyways, I suggested that small projectiles might have lesser impact, so the dinky lolfighter could either carry bunch of small projectiles which if shot at a hardened armour will make some small scratches, or carry few large projectiles which if shot would make a small hole, but that is it, 2 such shots and the ammo is depleted

Reaction score
    there are spiders smaller than your eyeball that could kill you with one bite if you are careless.. anyways, you can throw a small stone in your big car\'s window and it will sure make a scratch..

Your analogy is bullshit.
    Cars and humans do not have sheilds, and neither venom and rocks are energy weapons.

Again for the rest *handwave*, not going to happen.

If you want to take out capitals with a fighter, go to another game, or go onto a server with no shields.

Reaction score
    actually if you throw a rock it is an energy weapon

Reaction score
    You arent the brightest bulb in the box arent you?

Rock= KINETIC weapon.

AKA, like a bullet, or a tennis ball.

Ingame weapon is based on some form of projectile made of energy.
    It is obviously not antimatter because if it were, its destructive potential would be ridiculous.

Reaction score
    what difference does it make? energy is energy, a flying rock has some kinetic energy which will cause damage... your whatever-\"energy weapon\" also uses some kind of energy to cause damage.. a \"meteorite\" or however you call it, crashing on earth can be so energetic you wouldn\'t even believe...

you started this energy weapon debate, and so far you\'re only babbling about some artifical energy shields and unknown projectiles made of energy which you can\'t back up with anything.. and especially in starmade, damage is damage

I don\'t want anyone thinking I want to incorporate realistic elements into starmade, it is science fiction afterall.. I was just saying that combat would be more reasonable the way I suggested

Reaction score
    *sigh*.

This is not getting to you...

Do
    Not
    Use
    Real
    Life
    Examples
    Because
    Starmade
    Features
    Sheilds
    And
    Fictional
    Energy
    Weapons

Thus its fine as it is right now.
    Shields stop scratch damage, meaning that griefers cannot just damage everything and flee.

Reaction score
    you are wrong, it is not getting to you

it is true that in starmade ships are capable of having shield hit points, but that doesn\'t mean it makes sense and good combat experience, even in the starmade fictional universe, but if you scroll up to the original post and the subject you will see that I was suggesting a more rewarding way to go without the shield component. - that is the point of a suggestion, to suggest something new or different and suggest ways around any problems it might create

if you are worried about griefers then don\'t build your capital ships on public places or either face the consequences on a pvp server

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Structural HP is already being planned IN ADDITION to shields. Besides, I don\'t want to repair every single time my ship gets scratched.

This is the wrong game for you, space engineer has everything you are asking.

Reaction score
    why would this be the wrong game for me? because I suggested something different? doesn\'t mean I can\'t live with shields.. I only suggested how things could be without shields in a calm manner, willing to defend my opinion

doesn\'t mean this is the wrong game for me

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    *buys new ship* , \"Yeeesssss, I can fun :D\". *Noob shoots it for fun, minor hull damage*. \"Aw cmon man, what was that for?\". *noob apologises, ship is repaired* \"ok, no clown around, let\'s test this thing\" *barely touches asteroid that hadn\'t visually loaded in yet, collision damage*. \"FUUUUUUUUUUUUU\"

And on and on until people get tired of CONSTANTLY repairing and just use cores.

Reaction score
    okay- but consider that pure noobs probably wouldn\'t have access to powerful weapons in first few days of playing, so like you said, it would be minor... and if you had a new shiny ship on a survival-pvp server you probably would be more careful with transportation