Newbie questions (very basic stuff)

WCG

Reaction score
    I've played a lot of confusing games, but this one might take the cake. Then again, I just bought it yesterday, so I suppose that explains it. Heh, heh. Anyway, I've got a few very simple questions. I'd appreciate any help.

(Yes, I've been watching video tutorials and reading the wiki, and they've been a big help. But it's a lot to remember, and even though I take notes, I miss some things.)

1. I know I can set a home base on a planet, which will be invulnerable to pirates. (I think it's something I build and place on the planet. I'm sure that part of it won't be a problem.) But I've barely started to explore yet. So my question is, can I change my mind, later? Can I pick up my home base and move it somewhere else, if I find a place I like better?

2. Can I put my home base on a derelict space station, or does it have to be on a planet? I've seen a derelict space station - just in the distance, so far - and that would be neat to live on. If I can't do that, could I put engines on the space station and move it to my home planet? Just wondering...

3. When I move into a new solar system, the game tells me I can claim it for my faction, but it doesn't tell me how. I think you get a bonus when mining with that, right? So how do I do it?

And is this, too, something I can change later? If I decide to move, can I change which solar system I'm claiming for my faction? (Note that I'm just playing this as a single-player game, but the mining bonus would still be nice.)

I think factions can claim multiple solar systems, but only the first one is free, right? I've no idea what the others cost, but I'm wondering if I can just change my mind on the first one, later. Or is that permanent?

4. Is there a key I can press to rotate blocks? I know I can go into the advanced build mode and click to rotate a block there. Unfortunately, from that little picture, I can't tell what I'm going to get. (My eyes aren't that great.) It took me forever to place gray wedge pieces on my little ship,... and it didn't get any easier with practice, either.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to rotate a block after placing it. I really hope that's an option! But even if not, is there a key I can press, rather than go into the advanced build mode each time? Because, either way, it's just going to be trial and error for me.

5. This is dumb, probably, and it can't be very important, but... I started with a helmet. The instructions say to put it in your action bar, close your inventory, and left-click with it selected. But nothing happens when I do that. What's up?

Maybe it's just decorative and only shows up in third-person view? However, as far as I know, StarMade doesn't even have a third-person view. (If it does, what key do you press to see it?)

If it's just decorative, I don't care, anyway. I can't imagine I'll be using third-person view, even if there is one. But I started the game with the helmet, so I figure I should find out how to use it. :)

Thanks!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I've played a lot of confusing games, but this one might take the cake. Then again, I just bought it yesterday, so I suppose that explains it. Heh, heh. Anyway, I've got a few very simple questions. I'd appreciate any help.

(Yes, I've been watching video tutorials and reading the wiki, and they've been a big help. But it's a lot to remember, and even though I take notes, I miss some things.)

1. I know I can set a home base on a planet, which will be invulnerable to pirates. (I think it's something I build and place on the planet. I'm sure that part of it won't be a problem.) But I've barely started to explore yet. So my question is, can I change my mind, later? Can I pick up my home base and move it somewhere else, if I find a place I like better?

2. Can I put my home base on a derelict space station, or does it have to be on a planet? I've seen a derelict space station - just in the distance, so far - and that would be neat to live on. If I can't do that, could I put engines on the space station and move it to my home planet? Just wondering...

3. When I move into a new solar system, the game tells me I can claim it for my faction, but it doesn't tell me how. I think you get a bonus when mining with that, right? So how do I do it?

And is this, too, something I can change later? If I decide to move, can I change which solar system I'm claiming for my faction? (Note that I'm just playing this as a single-player game, but the mining bonus would still be nice.)

I think factions can claim multiple solar systems, but only the first one is free, right? I've no idea what the others cost, but I'm wondering if I can just change my mind on the first one, later. Or is that permanent?

4. Is there a key I can press to rotate blocks? I know I can go into the advanced build mode and click to rotate a block there. Unfortunately, from that little picture, I can't tell what I'm going to get. (My eyes aren't that great.) It took me forever to place gray wedge pieces on my little ship,... and it didn't get any easier with practice, either.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to rotate a block after placing it. I really hope that's an option! But even if not, is there a key I can press, rather than go into the advanced build mode each time? Because, either way, it's just going to be trial and error for me.

5. This is dumb, probably, and it can't be very important, but... I started with a helmet. The instructions say to put it in your action bar, close your inventory, and left-click with it selected. But nothing happens when I do that. What's up?

Maybe it's just decorative and only shows up in third-person view? However, as far as I know, StarMade doesn't even have a third-person view. (If it does, what key do you press to see it?)

If it's just decorative, I don't care, anyway. I can't imagine I'll be using third-person view, even if there is one. But I started the game with the helmet, so I figure I should find out how to use it. :)

Thanks!
    1. Yes
    2. I think that You first need to repair station by clicking M. But it costs so much. Space stations can't be moved.
    3. Using faction block
    5. Press shift and zoom-out. Currently wearing helmet gives You only visuals aspects. No game mechanics applied.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Tab+3
    Not perfect, but it allows you to rotate a block after placing it.
    Another tip:
    Escape, Options, Settings, Graphics, activate "Preview Block to Build"
    With that active, youll see a "ghostblock" of what your about to place.

WCG

Reaction score
    Thanks, guys! That's just what I needed to know.

WCG

Reaction score
    A few other questions, if you don't mind:

1. How do I set up a docking module? It says to press 'R' to activate it, but nothing happens when I do that. (I've seen videos that show a blue cube around the docking module, when it's activated. I don't get anything like that.)

Once it's activated, you just point your ship at it and left-click, don't you? But I'm pretty sure it's not activating at all for me.

2. Do I have to link a storage box on my ship to the salvage computer or something? If so, how? Or, more basically, how do I get salvaged components into the storage box on the ship, rather than into my inventory, when I mine them? (Or am I using the wrong item for that?)

3. I started with a 'marker beam' in my inventory. It looks like the laser pistol, but it doesn't seem to do anything (well, as far as I can tell, at least). What's it for?

So far, so good. I've been mining asteroids, and I haven't even seen a pirate yet. I set up my home base - for now, at least - on a planet near a bunch of asteroids, for convenience. Of course, I'm getting so much stuff built there that I won't want to move, anyway, I'm sure. But it's good to know I can, if I ever want to. :)

I built a cloaking module and a radar jammer, and I'm going to try to redesign my mining ship so I can just avoid pirates when I'm out mining. I don't think I can put enough weapons and stuff on a mining ship to help much, anyway (especially as bad as I am at handling the ship).

My only major problem is that I keep pressing 'R' accidentally and exiting my ship in space. :D Luckily, I haven't done it when I'm moving very quickly, and the ship slows down and stops on its own. Still kind of embarrassing, though. Heh, heh.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    1: Thats most likely the docking modules orientation, if its online there should be a green 7x7x7 cube mesh displayed, thats the docking area. If its red, its blocked by blocks in the docking area.

2: Select the Salvage Computer with C, beige pulsing borders should appear around the computer, go to the storage you want the salvage to end it, look at it, press V, purple pulsing borders should appear around the storage. Thats the basic of linking blocks.

3: Linkin Warp Gates.

The R thing happens to a lot of people, you can change the key in the control settings :)

WCG

Reaction score
    1. Well, I figured out why I wasn't even seeing a cube. :) I thought the cube was supposed to show up when you 'activated' the docking module. Apparently, it only shows up when you're in a ship, and click on the module while the ship core is selected.

So now I've got a cube,... though it's red. It doesn't look like there's anything blocking it (unless the floor will block it? The cube doesn't seem to have a bottom), but I'll keep enlarging the area until it works. Thanks! I've got the basic idea now.

2. Got it, thanks. I think I was trying to do that backwards.

3. Oh, OK. Linking Warp Gates? I would never have guessed that!

Thanks for the help!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Yeah red means its blocked, since you dont see the cubes bottom, the floor is propably whats blocking it.

WCG

Reaction score
    Hmm,... clearly, I don't understand the docking module at all. I thought the ship was supposed to perch on top of the docking module, but that's not where the colored box is showing up.

Eventually, I built a pillar for the docking module, which got the box up above the ground (in front of the pillar). Now, it's all green. However, I still can't dock there. It keeps telling me that my ship is too big for the space.

I added some docking extenders. After considerable experimenting (the extenders didn't always do what I expected), I got a much bigger box. But it's still not big enough, apparently.

Now, my ship isn't very big. It's just a miner, with no weapons at all. I can set it down in the space in front of the pillar with plenty of room on all sides (and the top, too). The box looks more than big enough for that little ship.

Am I missing something here? I can keep making the box bigger, though I'll have to dig out the planet to make more room. But I just want to make sure I understand what's supposed to happen. When the ship 'docks' with the docking module, does it touch the docking module at all? From where that cube is, it doesn't look like it.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Well like i mentioned, docking modules also have 6 orientations, so try rotating it, and unles you disable it in the configs, a docking modules needs docking extenders to at least make the box as big as the ship you want to dock, essentially the ship has to be able to fit inside the green box.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Am I missing something here? I can keep making the box bigger, though I'll have to dig out the planet to make more room. But I just want to make sure I understand what's supposed to happen. When the ship 'docks' with the docking module, does it touch the docking module at all? From where that cube is, it doesn't look like it.
    There is also the fact the point on your ship that will line up with the docking module is the core. All of the ship has to be inside the box, so if your core is a long way from the centre of your ship you may end up needing a much bigger box than it would first appear from the size of your ship.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Derp, forgott about that... luxory of playing on servers with docking box checks disabled.

WCG

Reaction score
    OK, thanks, guys. I've got more questions, though. :) Not about the docking module. I hugely enlarged that, but I didn't get a chance to try it out,... and I may not, now.

I was going to be afk for a minute, so I hit escape, thinking that bringing up the options menu would pause the game. Unfortunately, it doesn't. :(

I was in my mining ship, with the radar jammer turned on, just leaving from my home planet. No pirates were around (when I left, at least). But when I came back and clicked on 'Resume Game,' I died almost instantly. No explosions; no indication I was under attack. I was just dead.

I respawned on the planet below and checked navigation. Lots of pirates! Apparently, as I say, the game doesn't pause at the menu. Still, the closest was two or three kilometers away, so I got in my fast scout ship, turned on the radar jammer, and tried again. I died just immediately, before I was even above the surface of the planet. Again, no explosion and no indication I was even under fire. In both cases, the first thing I knew that I was under attack was the respawn option.

My lair is below ground, but it wasn't completely covered up from above, so I died again just seconds after I respawned, just walking to my factory area. Everything else is invulnerable down there, but not me, I guess. Heh, heh.

In all three cases, I have no idea who or what killed me. Frankly, I still haven't even seen a pirate in this game. I saw them on radar, after I died the first time, but that's all. I'm guessing that they have radar jammers, too, so not all of them show up in navigation? I can't imagine how they killed me so quickly, if they weren't super-close. All three times, I had no idea anyone was even shooting at me.

Anyway, I've got a few more questions now. :)

1. How can I pause the game to get a cup of coffee, answer the phone, or do anything else for a minute or so? I don't want to have to exit the game at every single distraction.

2. I put a roof completely across my base (apparently, pirates can't kill you in build mode - at least, build mode on your home planet), but I seem to be stuck there, since the pirates aren't leaving (not that I saw the pirates who killed me, anyway). If I dismantle the undeathinator - or whatever that's called - will I start respawning at my original starting location, that shop?

That's the only way I can think of to get off this planet again and start over somewhere else. (I've got lots of supplies, but nothing to build cannons with. If my fast ships couldn't get past the pirates, nothing I can build now will do the trick, I suspect.)

3. As I say, this is my home base. If I want to set up a new home base, will I have to remove the faction module from this one first? Or can I override that later when I put down a new faction module somewhere?

The reason I ask is because I've claimed this solar system and it would be nice to keep that (the mining bonuses, I mean) while I'm trying to get started somewhere else. But it's no big deal, I guess.

4. If none of that works, I can just start a new game. So my fourth question is this: If I suicide, will that destroy this entire universe and let me start over from scratch? If not, what do I delete in order to do that?

I can't find any save files for this game - and there's apparently no way to save it manually (which really made me wonder the first time I finished playing and wanted to keep my progress) - so I don't know what to delete in order to start over. Maybe suiciding will do that?

I won't do it anyway, except as a last resort, probably. I'll try to respawn at the shop (carrying my treasures) first. But if that's not going to work, I want to know how to restart the game without uninstalling it and reinstalling it again.

Thanks!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    1: No sure, but try if the pause key works in SP

2: Never tried that, but might work

3: You can just override your Homebase setting on another faction module on a planet or station, your old system stays claimed thou.

4: Suicide doesnt destroy the world save, but you can create a new world in the world manager. If everything fails, you do have admin commands in SP, so you could just select the Pirates with the F or N keys, then type /destroy_entity in chat (enter key). That will destry any entity you have selected, so be careful with that.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    I was going to be afk for a minute, so I hit escape, thinking that bringing up the options menu would pause the game. Unfortunately, it doesn't. :(

I was in my mining ship, with the radar jammer turned on, just leaving from my home planet. No pirates were around (when I left, at least). But when I came back and clicked on 'Resume Game,' I died almost instantly. No explosions; no indication I was under attack. I was just dead.

I respawned on the planet below and checked navigation. Lots of pirates! Apparently, as I say, the game doesn't pause at the menu. Still, the closest was two or three kilometers away, so I got in my fast scout ship, turned on the radar jammer, and tried again. I died just immediately, before I was even above the surface of the planet. Again, no explosion and no indication I was even under fire. In both cases, the first thing I knew that I was under attack was the respawn option.

My lair is below ground, but it wasn't completely covered up from above, so I died again just seconds after I respawned, just walking to my factory area. Everything else is invulnerable down there, but not me, I guess. Heh, heh.

In all three cases, I have no idea who or what killed me. Frankly, I still haven't even seen a pirate in this game. I saw them on radar, after I died the first time, but that's all. I'm guessing that they have radar jammers, too, so not all of them show up in navigation? I can't imagine how they killed me so quickly, if they weren't super-close. All three times, I had no idea anyone was even shooting at me.
    Some pirates have missiles. Depending on their range, a pirate might've shot you from another sector.
    1. How can I pause the game to get a cup of coffee, answer the phone, or do anything else for a minute or so? I don't want to have to exit the game at every single distraction.
    You can't. The game only pauses when it is not running at all.
    2. I put a roof completely across my base (apparently, pirates can't kill you in build mode - at least, build mode on your home planet), but I seem to be stuck there, since the pirates aren't leaving (not that I saw the pirates who killed me, anyway). If I dismantle the undeathinator - or whatever that's called - will I start respawning at my original starting location, that shop?

That's the only way I can think of to get off this planet again and start over somewhere else. (I've got lots of supplies, but nothing to build cannons with. If my fast ships couldn't get past the pirates, nothing I can build now will do the trick, I suspect.)
    No, the plex undeathinator is only used to set one's spawn-point, after that removing it has no effect.
    3. As I say, this is my home base. If I want to set up a new home base, will I have to remove the faction module from this one first? Or can I override that later when I put down a new faction module somewhere?

The reason I ask is because I've claimed this solar system and it would be nice to keep that (the mining bonuses, I mean) while I'm trying to get started somewhere else. But it's no big deal, I guess.
    Yes, you can declare another entity your homebase, but the 1st homebase will lose the homebase status
    4. If none of that works, I can just start a new game. So my fourth question is this: If I suicide, will that destroy this entire universe and let me start over from scratch? If not, what do I delete in order to do that?
    The "Suicide" button does the exact same as a pirate shooting you, except the suicide button is faster.
    To reset your universe, open the "tools" menu in the connection-setup (also called 2nd launcher). There should be an option "reset universe". Otherwise, there should be a "worlds" or "world manager" button next to the "singleplayer" radiobutton. You can manage your universe(s) with it

Reaction score
    • Tester
    You can manage your universe(s) with it
    beware .. there is mostlikely still a bug with blueprint permissions/ownership when running more than one universe.
    (the new universes permissions get messed up)
    so if you do want to start over and doesnt need anything within the old universe anymore, just reset all worlds will give you a newly generated universe on game start.

Reaction score
    When you die( killed by pirate or suicide) or exit to desktop from game, log back in but do not spawn/respawn just let the game keep running and pray that the pirates get bored and go far away from your sector

If you are alive and running around on the planet or hiding in a build block they will stay there for a lot longer

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    When you die( killed by pirate or suicide) or exit to desktop from game, log back in but do not spawn/respawn just let the game keep running and pray that the pirates get bored and go far away from your sector
    That won't happen when factioned entities are there.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    beware .. there is most likely still a bug with blueprint permissions/ownership when running more than one universe.(the new universes permissions get messed up)
    Is this something recent? I remember using the world manager, one or two versions ago, and didn't notice anything wrong with it. Since this manager is presumably only available in single player were you can always be the administrator, what are the telltale signs for this bug?

Greets,

Jan

WCG

Reaction score
    Thanks for the replies!

Some pirates have missiles. Depending on their range, a pirate might've shot you from another sector.
    Both of my ships had radar jammers operating. Isn't that supposed to prevent missile attacks?

Do pirates use radar jammers themselves? I thought maybe there were pirates up close that I just couldn't see on the navigation screen, because they were using jammers.

You can't. The game only pauses when it is not running at all.
    Oh, that's nasty! What do you do when you're afk? Do you pee in a bottle or something? Exit the game every time? I can see that if you're playing multiplayer, but what's the point for a single-player game?

No, the plex undeathinator is only used to set one's spawn-point, after that removing it has no effect.
    OK, I seem to be stuck, then. I guess I'll probably have to start over in a new game.

If you are alive and running around on the planet or hiding in a build block they will stay there for a lot longer
    Yeah, great idea, but... I think I screwed myself, trying to be clever. :oops: When I picked my home planet, I was afraid I'd get lost and have trouble finding it again, so I named a ship core 'Home Base' and buried it near the surface of the planet. That way, it would show up on my navigation screen (but, as it turned out, only when I was in that sector, so it wasn't really very useful).

I figured that the pirates might find it, which is why I buried it underground (because the planet itself is invulnerable to attack). However, I didn't realize that it might attract pirates - since it doesn't have a radar jammer - and that they might not leave, because the ship would always show up on their screens. Since the ship is invulnerable, while it's buried underground, they'll never be able to destroy it, so they probably won't ever leave.

To reset your universe, open the "tools" menu in the connection-setup (also called 2nd launcher). There should be an option "reset universe".
    OK, thanks. I'm going to try to build a new ship and escape, if I have enough resources for that. In particular, I need to start using shields, so I can at least tell when I'm being attacked. I'd better check the wiki, I guess, since I've never paid any attention to that. (I'd hoped that radar jamming, plus a fast, maneuverable ship, would be safe enough for a mining ship, as long as I kept an eye on the navigation screen. Apparently not.)

But if that doesn't work, I'll just start over.

Thanks again for the replies, everyone!