New weapons. Effectors, Minelayers, bombs, torpedoes, plasma throwers, flak cannons and breachers.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Ammo: link a computer to a storage module, and put the required ammo inside. E.g. proton missile. (more modules: more reload) nuclear missile. (more modules: more radius) or dis-integrator missile (more modules: more damage) or... hyper missile (more modules: MORE EVERYTHING!)

Bombs:

If teleportation is ever introduced to the game (god forbid,) these would teleport on board enemy ships and blow up. Since I'm against that, I will just explain my style. You drop a smart bomb block from a bomb-launcher, (press... z in astronaut mode to make a bomb. Requires one bomb block. No core.) use a marker beam to mark the bomb to a bomb-launcher. The bomb propels itself onto that bomber's launcherer, and does not explode because that bomber was it's... you know, type 2 target (what do dock on to). Now it has your faction on it, so will only explode on enemy ships. (type 1 targets)

Fly, acquire your bomb launching computer (bomb-launchers are modules!) and use it. Bombs away! BOOM!

Oh, you want a nuclear bomb? Shops. Stun bomb? Shops. Shrapnel bomb? Shops! Well, I suppose you could link a flak computer to a bomb launching computer... or maybe for the stun bomb, an effector... anyway.

Minelayers:

These launch swarms of dis-integrator explosive "mine" entities. That's all they are and can be (the mine entities). These are given angular momentum etc to surround your target ship (targeted, if an enemy, by simply doing the old-lock-on-missile thing.) and... practically lock it in place. The lovely point defense turrets shoot them up though. So ensure you have loads of mine launching modules! More arrays means: more mines. Bigger arrays means: more explosive mines.

Requires ammo from storage: disintegrator explosive.

Flak cannon: (rename current cannon to laser)

Uses "scrap" as ammo. Get scrap from hulls, grills, wedges and metal capsules/blocks/ingots/crystals etc.

Fires a super-fast reload, large-area burst of flak. Like the main starting gun from the game Rodina.

at least, I THINK that's it... normally it's more solid, but that's what it's mostly like anyway.

Very un-precise. However, if you just want to ruin your enemie's hull's good looks, you can easily just batter their hull and make it all go orange with damage. :D

Effectors:

Anti-crew's-brains electronic warfare device. Uses the enemy craft's power (and 1 of yours) to stun enemy crew members.

Torpedoes:

Uses gravity to fling itself forwards. VERY explosive, although most of the time it just pierces through the enemy's ship. Good for core-ing.

Best example: photon torpedo. KABOOM, but such slow reload and SUCH expensiveness.

Plasma throwers:

Basically thermal plasma flak. Except beam-like...
    Do you understand that? Or is it not clear enough... plasma flak beams? Uhh... yeah. MELTS hull, but not so good with other objects. If lava damages objects one day, it is basically a lava entity thrower.

Breachers:

Ever wanted to reverse-tractor-beam a crew member inside an enemy ship to do combat? Well now you can! After, of course, you go and drill a hole in the enemy's hull. Perhaps the breacher is a craft inside which your crew stay, get launched, and (if they miss they can drive back) drill into the enemy hull, then walk in? Or maybe anti-bio fluid or something. I dunno, something that is good to go inside enemy ships.

So, yeah! Support?

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    I will start with what I support. I really like the idea of an electronic warfare device to remove the accuracy of AI turrets. It's something that's lacking in the game at this point.

Also Minelayers are on the way iirc

AND NOW, for everything else.

Bombs:

If teleportation is ever introduced to the game (god forbid,) these would teleport on board enemy ships and blow up. Since I'm against that, I will just explain my style. You drop a smart bomb block from a bomb-launcher, (press... z in astronaut mode to make a bomb. Requires one bomb block. No core.) use a marker beam to mark the bomb to a bomb-launcher. The bomb propels itself onto that bomber's launcherer, and does not explode because that bomber was it's... you know, type 2 target (what do dock on to). Now it has your faction on it, so will only explode on enemy ships. (type 1 targets)
    So a missile? This honestly just sounds like a slower missile. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

So ammunition on TOP of energy cost? No thanks.
    Flak cannon: (rename current cannon to laser)
    PLEASE god no. Schema already calls cannons lasers and confuses the shit out of people, lets not make this official.

Honestly OP most of your weapon suggestions sound like things you can do with the current system.

Plasma beams: Beam-Cannon-Explosive
    Flak Cannon: Cannon-Missile-whatever
    Torpedoes: Missile-Pulse-whatever

The other incredibly problematic detail in your ammunition suggestion is that you're OVERLY RELIANT on shops. I'm sure you intend for crafting to be available as well but if you're resigning a player to shops you are not fixing the economic problem, rather making it worse.

Reaction score
    I will start with what I support. I really like the idea of an electronic warfare device to remove the accuracy of AI turrets. It's something that's lacking in the game at this point.

So a missile? This honestly just sounds like a slower missile. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

PLEASE god no. Schema already calls cannons lasers and confuses the shit out of people, lets not make this official.

Honestly OP most of your weapon suggestions sound like things you can do with the current system.

The other incredibly problematic detail in your ammunition suggestion is that you're OVERLY RELIANT on shops. I'm sure you intend for crafting to be available as well but if you're resigning a player to shops you are not fixing the economic problem, rather making it worse.
    Of course, you can craft everything.

Anyway. Maybe torpedoes should be... entities? That basically, you have a new structure called "gravity tube" which is made from gravity generators and maybe something else. Then you load in a torpedo (created with c) and marker beam it onto the chief block in your tube, the torpedo launcher. It will tractor beam it in. Make your torpedo how you want it, with disintegrators or ramming stuff. Is that better?

Bombs are meant to be dropped in gravity, or if teleportation comes in, beamed onto enemy ships. And, bombs are custom too, with special effects, like anti-bio.

Ammunition will be on top of MINIMAL energy costs, I forgot to say. That energy cost is... just to launch it, you know? But for missiles, since they use thrusters, a LITTLE more energy. You can crank up the energy use (to a maximum of 5000 that the missile can carry) to increase range. This would be much more sense-making if fuel comes in. (lord say yes)

Flak is meant to be scrap, so... ja, not your version please.

Plasma beams? That's a beam with cannon support. :rolleyes: Plasma beams are meant to be actual plasma. Thermal attacks. Kinda.

So, that's my defense! What are you going to use?

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    You LITERALLY just enumerated weapons from the game "FTL"... Was that on purpose?

D

Deleted member 392097

I think that having ammunition would be a good idea and would make it more realistic. Ammunition would probably be quit cheap, if so then would you change your mind on it? Or do you think that it is just an unnecessary addition to the game (no matter how more realistic it makes it seem) that would make it much more annoying to use most weapons if you would have to go and waste money on topping them up?

D

Deleted member 392097

flak too :p . The system you're proposing is exactly the same.
    It doesn't matter if most of the weapon suggestions are suggestions for weapons which already exist in FTL, FTL is a great game and it would be great if StarMade could incorporate some of its weaponry systems.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    It doesn't matter if most of the weapon suggestions are suggestions for weapons which already exist in FTL, FTL is a great game and it would be great if StarMade could incorporate some of its weaponry systems.
    I agree on that point, it's just that most of the systems you suggested just wouldn't fit with the game or have been discussed to death already. I won't bother to explain since @Comr4de already did it better then I could.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    Oh, no comments on the breachers?
    You can build a drop pod as a ship.
    I think that having ammunition would be a good idea and would make it more realistic. Ammunition would probably be quit cheap, if so then would you change your mind on it? Or do you think that it is just an unnecessary addition to the game (no matter how more realistic it makes it seem) that would make it much more annoying to use most weapons if you would have to go and waste money on topping them up?
    Only if we start requiring fuel for energy systems. I think schema is trying to avoid consumables but don't quote me on that.
    Minelayers: shelved until further notice.
    lol

I guess this means drones got the axe too

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    @wolfboyft I'm sorry to be rude, and really don't mean to start anything by saying this, please don't take it the wrong way, but the more ideas I read from you, the more I realize that your ideas are terrible.
    I don't like anything you've had to say about suggested changes....

Now that isn't to say I don't like you as a person... I'm sure you and I could be good friends IRL, I just completely disagree with everything you've said.
    Don't take it personally, I am good friends with lots of people with whom I have fundamental disagreements with. It's all good on my side.

Reaction score
    @wolfboyft I'm sorry to be rude, and really don't mean to start anything by saying this, please don't take it the wrong way, but the more ideas I read from you, the more I realize that your ideas are terrible.
    I don't like anything you've had to say about suggested changes....

Now that isn't to say I don't like you as a person... I'm sure you and I could be good friends IRL, I just completely disagree with everything you've said.
    Don't take it personally, I am good friends with lots of people with whom I have fundamental disagreements with. It's all good on my side.
    Huh... but, could you explain your dislike of all my ideas a little?[DOUBLEPOST=1412156829,1412156732][/DOUBLEPOST]
    You can build a drop pod as a ship.
    Can they drill into the enemy's hull? Like, instead of salvage beaming the hull (since that requires a core overheat)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I like the ammo idea, but I'd then give my own twist to it:
    Instead of using the ammo, the ammo would just be a third effect (no ammo used, just put ammo in for a specific effect). That way players can customize their weapons even more. It shouldn't be encouraged to use the ammo effects though, so there should always be trade-offs. My ideas for ammo (just examples, there should be way more, and other people might think differently of these effects):
    • Nuke (missiles only): This make the explosion range enormous! 300 m radius when you have 100% explosion effect, now that is something to want! Or do you? Because for you to be able to use that radius completely, you'd need to do a massive amount of damage. It also increases your power usage by 10, and it doesn't increase your damage.
    • Nuke (cannons, not beam: this should never be allowed to work with the beam): Make your cannons act like missiles! The radius will be about 3 initially, and when used with explosive you will have a total radius of 15. The reload speed will be much lower than normal though (but faster than the reload of missiles), and you will do less damage (3/4 of what you normally would do?).
    • Nuke (damage pulse): This will turn your damage pulse into a mayham bomb with a massive radius (about 60)! Not effective against shields though, and you will do half the damage you normally would.
    • Trackers: These will follow your target (a low turning speed of course, but fast enough to hit a moderately turning ship), so you don't have to aim all the time. But you will also do 2x less damage, so do you want this?
    • And much more
    I'm a fan of dedicated customisation, so that is what I'm aiming for with this. Like?

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Sorry, FunnyBunny, but the lag on enormous radius explosions would just be too laggy. I can't like this suggestion. Too laggy.

Could be a good mod for uber servers, though!

On the subject of using ammo as an effect, that's interesting, but I think all the ammo proponents want to be able to use up ammo as a consumable.

If ammo were to be an effect, I think there should still be just one effect slot for primaries, and that the ammo options would include all the available effects, but maybe only at a server-configurable percentage like 50%, so you wouldn't lose anything except detailed customization and 100% effect. In other words, effect ammo would only get you half the effect, while still doing damage. You'd need to use a real effect module to reach 100%, except on 100%-effect-bullet servers. (E.g. gravitic singularity ammo that provides a stopping effect, explosive tip ammo that provides explosive effect, dimagnetic repulsor and dimagnatic attractor ammo that provides pushing and pulling effect, armor-piercing for piercing effect, high-power armor-piercing for punch-through, Nanonuke ammo for EMP effect, etc., etc., etc.) That way, ammo remains limiting, but can still be an effect.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    The problem with ammo as a consumable, and this is a big one, is that hardly anyone wants to be crafting/buying ammunition isntead of other blocks, like the oh-so-precious new warp gates and jump modules (and later hyper drive). It just doesn't work. This has been suggested many times before, and it always came down to the extensive use of the ammunition.

Ps: If you want me to reply, quote my post or tag me with an'@'. That will show up by my alerts, and those are the first thing that I (always!) look at, and if I need to respond, I will. Same applies to most other users.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    The problem with ammo as a consumable, and this is a big one, is that hardly anyone wants to be crafting/buying ammunition isntead of other blocks, like the oh-so-precious new warp gates and jump modules (and later hyper drive). It just doesn't work. This has been suggested many times before, and it always came down to the extensive use of the ammunition.
    I would use effective ammo weaponry but as a complement of others.
    I would also use ammo weaponry if it could recharge at every sun and take 1 minute while your ship is not under attack but store 20 or 40 seconds of ammo.

Why?
    Because in combat it only matters who can hit faster until the first critical systems are damaged.

If you can pierce a few turrets into 20 parts, the enemy requires 5x power while your power weapons not even drain the power which your ammo weaponry requires at first
    and afterwards let you finish the enemy if he managed to be still alive while he can not deliver his weapons enough power to do serious damage to you.

Reaction score
    What if guns used ammunition but ammunition is cheaper than scrap? That would not effect people trying to get their warp technology up and running. That reminds me, I need to look into the community's views on "research" and "tech trees".

Different types of ammo could also potentially replace the oh-so-unrealistic effect systems. And by ammunition I mean:

Missiles: Missiles, different warheads.
    Cannons: Different projectiles.
    Beams: This is tricky. I guess my take on it is that different frequencies act as different ammo types.
    Damage pulses: Same as beams, I guess,

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    For beams, don't use ammo. Just set the range to the same as cannon. The lack of options from different ammo and increased power usage should be enough to balance out the increased range and instant hit.

For pulses, since the devs are working on making it a viable weapon, it might not even be worth considering until the new version is out. But yes, it'll be probably be energy-based like beams.