New update's Turn Speed Change.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    woudent one of the best ways to solve this limatashion woud be to mak it posabat to use engin bloakc when rotated to appluy thrust in the derection that that are facing to make a eqevlent the the RCS system that is in kerbal space progam so you can make huge long unwealdbu ships but have a way to turn them for a more thort out desight

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Actually, dimensions do play a part when considering rotation.
    Mass does too.

If you remember from school level maths and/or physics, there are things called moments.
    To calculate a moment, you multiply the force together with it\'s perpendicular distance from the centre of the rotation.

Watch this video on angular momentum:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eMH07Tghs0

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I understand shape and dimension have a massive effect on rotational physics, even in space.

But at the same time I know better that distrabution of mass along the X Y Z planes has a greater effect over all. Most of all the near frictionless model that is space. Over all the turning speed change came too earily, without a means for larger ships to gain back turning speed at a cost of energy. EX: Vectoring Thrusters.

Reaction score
    It would certainly make sense to have maneuvering thrusters to help counteract this, or simply allow engines to be mounted in all 6 directions and provide thrust in the correct direction as needed.

Reaction score
    The worlds are disks with very little gravity and our speed is measured in km/h. Also space has friction for some reason. It seems kind of unreasonable that complex maths are taken into account for the moment of inertia of ships (and they are complex when you build with complex geometries) and yet space has friction, planets are disks, and somehow I can travel interstellar distances at 50 km/h.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    For a lenght Ship designer RCS would be helpful but im not the designer of Starmade and i hope he addes in RCS so i can rework on my ships until then im stuck at building cubs that i cant fite very many turrets on.

Tristain.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Just make a Java-Array for x, y, z refering to a 3D-cross with core in the middle.

Then store in this array (length*width*height) the number of elements in a 0x 1x 2x 3x 0y 1y 2y 3y 0z 1z 2z 3z ... plane (everytime to remove/add a block, increase/decrease 3 values only).

Now 3 more values: (x/y/z distance to core or center of mass) * number of blocks in this plane.

Add this value to turningDampener.

• Turning around X = Y+Z dampener.
    • Turning around Y = X+Z dampener.
    • Turning around Z = X+Y dampener.

That would be the most performant physically correct solution (for re-calculating on new mass centers).

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    You and I (and everyone else) both know that most sci-fi ships are longer back-to-front than any other way, fairly large, and still turn fast enough for it to be fun to watch. People come to expect that in a sci-fi game. I built my ships that way, just like most other people on Starmade. (Unless they build doomcubes or Borg ships, but those are supposed to be exceptions, not the rule.)