New update's Turn Speed Change.

Reaction score
    I have yet to test out the change myself, but if I read it correctly; turn radius is now dependant on ship dimensions rather than mass. (Or at least includes ship dimension in its calculations.)

Doesn't this mean that Box/Cube ships are even MORE effective than before?

I hate to be "That guy", but I don't think this was an entirely good idea.

On the plus side: Hull no longer degrades turn rate (Mostly), so it's a matter of personal taste I suppose.

Reaction score
    Unfortunitly, this games mechanics seems to make cube ships OP. I like the idea, but in practice...

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    theoretically cube ships would be the most efficient. why do you think the borg use them

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Master Builder Bronze
    spheres specifically... physics-wise. space ship designs that are long and thinner in width and height tend to be for frontal-assault only most the time in sci-fi, and for good reason (turning would take forever)

Reaction score
    Yea, the update yet again buffed small ships (In a great and awesome way) but yet again large ships got the hammer. And cube ships just became more OP than they where before, I like the update but I\'m getting tired of the madium-large+ ships being nerfed to non-existance.

The length no longer matters, the width/height does. And the slowdown is absolutely insane. A little after 100 meters your turnign speed is 1.0, this mean it will take you 190 seconds (3:10) to turn 360 degrees, thats an insane amount of time. And it caps there, so medium-large sized ships are.....horrible. While large-huge ships are just as good.

Tryign to make a decorative, or decent looking ship that can be used is getting harder and harder to do. Cubes are the new \"ship\", ships are not very functional.

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    Most of my ships tend to be longer on the z axis then wide or tall. I guess it\'s what I get for building my ships to have such a tiny forward silhouette.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I suppose in a universe made of cubes though, it does make sense that cubes as a superstructure of smaller cubes would be superior. It\'s like circles in our universe. Space is curved, so spheres are the shape most things end up in our universe. In Starmade, things start gravitating closer and closer to the fundamental shape of reality: cubes!

We don\'t have any kind of drag in space or even in the atmospheres really, so the streamlined shapes we are accustomed to after many years of vehicular design are actually non-optimal for this universe.

So, strictly speaking... We\'re all building the way we do because we\'re a bunch of roleplayers trying to build as if it was in a universe like our own, while the cubeship builders are either lazy or adapting to the nature of their universe\'s fundamental law: things tend to accrete into cubes.

Better than our own universe. Here, it\'s balls to everything!

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    This is the same thing that people said about the shield update. I\'m just going to leave that bit of historical context there.

Reaction score
    True, which would imply that it will stay this way. Regardless of how many people dislike it or feel that there should be configs for these things.

Schema: Hint hint on the configs thing. The ability for servers to impliment their own equations without having every using download a custom client....would take a lot of pressure off of you (the expectations for you to change/implement every single thing)

Reaction score
    Hi,

Douglasg14b: There is a server.cfg setting called \"TURNING_DIMENSION_SCALE\". If you set this to (e.g.) 9 then large ships can\'t turn at all, and if you set this to (e.g.) 0.5 small ships get buggy (turning faster/quicker than the game can handle and sometimes getting into a \"speed wobble\" as it flicks left/right never reaching center) and large ships handle like small fighters. I think the \"least worst\" setting might be about 0.9 (default is 1.1), but I haven\'t tested much (and haven\'t tested medium ships at all).

Mostly, I hope this change is a \"quick fix\" (a temporary solution that required few changes to existing code), and something more realistic and less childish (like actual manouvering thrusters) are implemented one day.

Reaction score
    Qwee, I know about that config. I am speaking about more intimate configs. The ability to change how it effects the turning, not just linear global settings. The ability to change these things without clients no longer becoming incompatable, it would be the next-best thing to plugin support. Which I sure as hell hope comes along.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Frankly, this new change doesn\'t make any sense. It should be the ship\'s mass that effects it\'s maneuverability, not it\'s dimensions.

Reaction score
    It makes sense and not sense...realisticly, a giant empty hull would turn just as good as a filled hull. But at the same time

Reaction score
    The game physics do not have to be perfectly realistic, and they never were.

All that is required is that the game is balanced and fun, and the physics support gameplay, are consistent, and are not completely foreign in concept.

People say change makes no sense, but it really depends on how you think of it. Say you put two equal massed but different size objects under water and try to rotate, the larger dimensioned one require more force due to friciton. That being said, I don\'t know if the physics are entirely consistent if the movement in all directions are not affected by this change.

In any case, there is some friction in starmade space and your ship slows down when you stop accelerating, a lot faster than what would happen in reality. Do we have a ton of people complaining about that? No. Why? Because it doesn\'t mess up thier current idea of gameplay. If the deceleration made it so you had to hold W down constnatly, it doesnt mean the whole mechanic is no good, it just means that it need a little tweaking.

Regarding OP cube ships: performance and efficiency at low cost is not necessarily pretty, because prettyness is not a factor in those areas. Keep wishing it were not so, but I am betting you will be ignored based on almost every single mechanic of the game being in line with that (not to mention reality). I have yet to see a valid suggestion that would reward asthetics without adding a ton more confusing and restrictive building rules/bonuses, which in turn would be exploitable in the same type of way, and also be as boring and ugly as a cube ship. With wise building, you can make a decent looking ship that has good performance. If you are trying to recreate your favorite scifi show ship to scale, then don\'t have any illusions: you are creating a model, not creating a optimised warship for gameplay in Starmade. The problem isn\'t the game, it\'s who you\'re playing with is incompatible with your idea of the game.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    So when building a ship in starmade, you will have to strictly conform to the few limited forms that are proven to work. Otherwise, you will have a practically useless but pretty ship. So much for creativity, or freedom of design.

Reaction score
    What do you suggest to fix it? The cube ship \"problem\" is created by the rules that govern the efficiency and scaling of the ship components. It sounds like you want all the ships to perform exactly the same and there to be no rules. That is the only way to have complete freedom to create at no consequence to ship performance. Then we could just have hull blocks that we stack into pretty patterns and none of the other ship components are needed because all the ships perform the same...sounds kinda boring to me.

If you are building it for creativity and beauty thats what you get, if you build it for utility, thats what you get. But there is a middle ground, go for that and play with other people who do also. There is a significant amount of variability even in optimised ships. Use your creativity to work within the rules. Even the most beautiful artwork, music, etc. has been created sometimes with very strict rules throughout history.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Specifically, the creativity of ships that are highly exagerated in one dimension (typically front to back, i.e. long ships).

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    The more blocks there are, the slower it turns. That would seem logical enough, it\'s beyond me why this ship-dimension nonsense was implemented.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Master Builder Bronze
    GO READ UP ON ROTATIONAL PHYSICS

to anyone and everyone who says dimensions don\'t play a part in rotation acceleration, do this experiment:

find a stick. put it on a smooth surface. grab it in the middle and spin it with the spin axis int he middle. grab it on the end and use the end you grab as the spin axis. compare amount of difficulty in spinning the object.

you\'ve experienced rotational inertia\'s effects on angular acceleration.

more mass= harder to accelerate in any direction (including spinning)
    more thrust(force)= easier to accelerate in any direction (including spinning though this isn\'t implemented yet)
    larger radius = harder to accelerate in a rotational manner

there are MANY MANY MANY sources that can tell you all about rotational dynamics but in the end, dimension does matter. so anybody who clings to the notion that dimension doesn\'t matter is ignoring reality Schema\'s game description clearly states that the game is to have a modern physics engine, meaning the physics of the game need to take at very least the basic factors into account: dimension, mass, thrust. that\'s not even getting into the other parts of the physics behind it all like center of mass, torque, precession, etc.

Reaction score
    Yes, it definitely has stifled my creativity in building giant phallic ships.

;)